GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox / DVD Question"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/06/03 at 00:39
Regular
Hi all,

Dont know if any of you can help but I have been waiting ages for the xbox version of DVD Region X. This dont look like it is ever going to come now.

Therefore I woundered if I could buy a US DVD remote and plug it in my UK xbox. I know this will/would work but I already have the UK remote. My question is can I chop and change from one to another. I thought I read somewhere in the early days that you could not do this. Once a remote was connected that was it, the region was set.

What do you think?

I dont want to buy a multi region dvd player and my PS2 is starting to mash cd's/dvd's up.
Thu 19/06/03 at 00:39
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
Hi all,

Dont know if any of you can help but I have been waiting ages for the xbox version of DVD Region X. This dont look like it is ever going to come now.

Therefore I woundered if I could buy a US DVD remote and plug it in my UK xbox. I know this will/would work but I already have the UK remote. My question is can I chop and change from one to another. I thought I read somewhere in the early days that you could not do this. Once a remote was connected that was it, the region was set.

What do you think?

I dont want to buy a multi region dvd player and my PS2 is starting to mash cd's/dvd's up.
Thu 19/06/03 at 00:43
Regular
Swapping the remotes won't make a difference I don't think. Its the DVD drive that reads the DVD's and all the remote does is operate the on screen functions. I don't know where you heard that but I am sure it is wrong.

As for the Region X trouble it doesn't look like it will appear for a while yet. I
Thu 19/06/03 at 00:50
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
Im pretty sure that the dongle with the remote, controls the region. They are region specific. The region is stated on the packaging. I have just found a site selling US remotes and it actually states that it will allow u 2 play region 1 on a uk xbox. Just dont want to risk wasting money if it wont alow me to swap from one to another. Think I may email MS if I dont get much joy.
Thu 19/06/03 at 00:54
Regular
If you do buy one then surely it will stop you playing Region 2 DVD's which would mean you wouldn't be able to play certain DVD's or ones you have in your collection already. If the Xbox has this feature then surely which ever remote you use first will effect which region your Xbox will accept. Sounds a bit tricky to be honest and it could end up being a waste of money. How much is the import?
Thu 19/06/03 at 01:04
Regular
Here is your answer:

"Not exactly - when you buy a UK DVD Movie Playback Kit & put the infared receaver into the UK Xbox controller port, the UK Xbox will ONLY ever play Region 2 titles as it places a Region 2 code onto the hard-drive...

To my knowledge when you first ever use/ install a DVD Move Playback Kit the Region code is perminently locked onto the HD & cannot be taken off or altered by using another infared receaver ( ie a receaver from US )

However - & i dont see why you would do this, you can buy a US DVD Movie Playback Kit & use that on a UK Xbox, this will allow you to run Region 1 DVD's. As i have said above to my knowledge you cannot swap the infared receavers from other country's to play different Region DVD's."

Please note the spellings are nothing to do with me :)

I couldn't post the link because it was a site dedicated to Mod Chipping and pirating everything from your cat to the postman :)

Hope this helps!
Thu 19/06/03 at 01:05
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> If you do buy one then surely it will stop you playing Region 2 DVD's
> which would mean you wouldn't be able to play certain DVD's or ones
> you have in your collection already.If the Xbox has this feature then
> surely which ever remote you use first will effect which region your
> Xbox will accept.

This is what I am concerned about. I was hoping someone would have experience on the topic.

To import ranges from $20 from US with $4 shipping to £30 from the uk for the us remote depending on where you get it from. Then with the way things are going at the moment with customs, I would probably end up paying import tax of around £8.
Thu 19/06/03 at 01:05
Regular
Read my reply below :)
Thu 19/06/03 at 01:10
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
Dam. Looks like I'll have to stick with my PSpoo.

Thanks for you help.
Thu 19/06/03 at 01:21
Regular
For Region 1 DVD's I suppose it isn't that terrible. There is a quality difference but you will have to live with it :(

Pleasure to help!
Fri 20/06/03 at 17:22
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Why dont you get a multi-regional player? You can get one for £70. If your going to be getting quite a few DVDs imports or even Region 2 ones then having a proper player is alot better than using a console.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.