GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 CELL PROCESSOR"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/06/03 at 09:45
Regular
Bad news for PS owners:

Online news sites are reporting that the spring 2003 issue of Electronic Design Chain, an electronics trade magazine, features PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi on the cover, and also contains very surprising news about the Playstation 3.

According to the reports, Kutaragi mentions that final production of the "Cell" chip, originally thought to be used in the PlayStation 3, may not be ready until 2007. He also confirms that the CPU in the PlayStation 3 will in fact not be the Cell processor, contrary to earlier reports.

With a targeted PlayStation 3 launch in 2005/2006, delayed production of the Cell processor may have caused Sony to find a different solution for their next-generation console.

Source: IGN
Thu 19/06/03 at 09:45
Regular
"MSR Rules"
Bad news for PS owners:

Online news sites are reporting that the spring 2003 issue of Electronic Design Chain, an electronics trade magazine, features PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi on the cover, and also contains very surprising news about the Playstation 3.

According to the reports, Kutaragi mentions that final production of the "Cell" chip, originally thought to be used in the PlayStation 3, may not be ready until 2007. He also confirms that the CPU in the PlayStation 3 will in fact not be the Cell processor, contrary to earlier reports.

With a targeted PlayStation 3 launch in 2005/2006, delayed production of the Cell processor may have caused Sony to find a different solution for their next-generation console.

Source: IGN
Thu 19/06/03 at 10:41
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
More like completely irrelevant news for PS owners..?
Thu 19/06/03 at 10:59
Regular
"MSR Rules"
Why is it irrelevent?

Weeks ago they were hailing the new processor as the best thing since sliced bread.
I personally am dissapointed that the next console wont be half as good as they hinted earlier.
Thu 19/06/03 at 11:02
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I had a look at the Cell blueprints. The nanotechnology used was slightly flawed in that some of the optic junctures in the main algorithm section of the processor plates was a few microns too thin to take full advantage of the other PS3 chipsets, therefore whatever Sony use in place of the Cell is probably a better option.
Thu 19/06/03 at 11:03
Regular
And yes, I have shares in RISC technologies...
Thu 19/06/03 at 11:12
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
It's all just speculation anyway, the "cell" doesn't exist yet, neither does the PS3 chip. Personally I don't give a toss what kind of chip they put in the PS3. I'm sure it will work very well, and if it doesn't... none of us have pre-ordered one yet so who cares???
Thu 19/06/03 at 12:03
Regular
Personally I don't see the need to release the PS2 in 05/06, that's only 2-3 years away and there's plenty of good games due out in the meantime. Just because Polyphony said that GT4 will be last Gran Turismo on the PS2 doesn't mean other developers can't spend some extra time squeezing more out of it.

Way I see it, I can wait for the Cell to be ready before the launch of the PS3 if it means there'll be a better console at the end of it. If they launch earlier than the Cell, who's to say they won't find a better alternative chip in the meantime?
Thu 19/06/03 at 20:38
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
FantasyMeister wrote:
> I had a look at the Cell blueprints. The nanotechnology used was
> slightly flawed in that some of the optic junctures in the main
> algorithm section of the processor plates was a few microns too thin
> to take full advantage of the other PS3 chipsets, therefore whatever
> Sony use in place of the Cell is probably a better option.

Please tell me you're joking about all that!!

Blooooody hell!
Fri 20/06/03 at 02:52
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH**** I caused that, I did it, im a Nintendo freak and proud of it, and I,yes me , I messed up the cell design. <--Mwah ha ha ha ha

I never thought Id be reading such juicy news in the PS forum
Fri 20/06/03 at 05:25
Regular
phi11ip wrote:
> Please tell me you're joking about all that!!

I was joking about all that. Never believe everything you read on forums. The Gamecube will be Nintendo's last ever console, after 2004 they'll be concentrating full-time on the hand-held market in order to stave off competition from Sony's PSP. I got this information from the Nintendo tea-lady who was present at a recent boardmeeting at Nintendo HQ, Trumpton.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.