GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ëPlayStation 2í, ëXBOXí or ëGamecubeí?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/10/01 at 13:37
Regular
ëPlayStation 2í, ëXBOXí or ëGamecubeí?

Which console will be the last one standing?

The first ever console to draw-out the superb 128-Bit graphical engine was SEGAís ëDreamcastí. A couple of years, after the Dreamcastís UK release, Sony introduced the PlayStation 2. Not only could the PlayStation 2 play PS2 games, but it was backwards compatible and was also confirmed that it could play DVDís out of the box, not to mention the ability to play games over the Internet, using either Sonyís Broadband connection, or third-party peripherals. YesÖthe PlayStation 2 is a great ëHome Entertainment Centreí, but look whatís coming nowÖ

Microsoft are launching the XBOX very soon, bringing its staggering 128-Bit graphical power, along with its 733 MHz processor, an 8-GB Hard Drive, plus a graphical engine capable of pushing 125 Million Polygons/second, including a Broadband connection like Sonyís PlayStation 2.
Another great company that practically started the videogame world, ëNintendoí. Bringing out their ëGamecubeí for a late 2001 release date, Nintendo intend to engrave their name into the gaming world. The Gamecube will consist of a 128-Bit graphical engine, pushing out 6 million to 12 million polygons/second and an IBM Power PC "Gekko" microprocessor. Unfortunately though, the Gamecube will not be made to play DVD movies. Nintendo have made it clear that the Gamecube will be made specifically for playing games. They say that other consoles that play DVD movies are pushing the gaming world in a different directionÖSonyís PlayStation 2 is a prime example. The Gamecube will, however have a Broadband, and a standard Internet connection.

In my opinion, the PlayStation 2, XBOX and Gamecube, will differ in many ways. If you look at the technological side of things, they will.

So...what do you think. Which console are you going to put your support to and why?

Thank you

Son Of Liberty
Sat 20/10/01 at 12:56
I really liked the Super Smash Bros.Melee fotage.So much better than the PS2 and XBOX.
Sat 20/10/01 at 12:54
Well i have studied the consoles on the internet but i feel
the gamecube has the most appeal simply because it looks like the games will be really great. i have a playstation 1
and i still play on it loads but having played on a ps2 many
times find it is essentially a psone with better grapics
and speed. also the dvd is a bit dodgy if you want the best console you have to only focus on the gaming aspect not oh well " it does more things " . as for the xbox well, it looks good but it is HUGE and so it will look crappy ( only a minor factor i know ) but still only time will prove witch is the best.
Sat 20/10/01 at 11:31
lets look at games now,whilst the other consoles look at graphics (with the exeption of galleon on the xbox)gamecube looks at gameplay and how interesting the game will be.
Sat 20/10/01 at 11:21
same here
Sat 20/10/01 at 11:20
still a console is what i really want,not anything with a dvd player or the internet,i've already got them.
Sat 20/10/01 at 11:15
Regular
"Wasting away"
Your Honour was saying about this yesterday, basically he mentioned about the GameCube is a console whilst the X-Box and PS2 are Entertaining Systems, with the difference being that the PS2 and X-Box both play DVD's and online gaming, whilst the GameCube is a caveman with neither of the above.

It all depends on what you like as to what you'll get, PS2 is for the lovers of the PS, which is quite a few million. The GameCube is for all the fools who loved Nintendo and there two good games availible being Perfect Dark and Goldeneye and the X-Box is for people who want to waste £300 on a console that is bound to have bugs in so you have to upgrade after a few months.

But being serious here, I think the X-Box will become quite popular in a few years time but because of their reputation and how expensive it is at release I feel it won't sell too well unlike the Gamecube which is being released at between £150 and £200 it is known to be a good console and with a few good games. The PS2 has a great range of games availible and is for everyone really, that is what made the first one so popular.

This has got to be the biggest and toughest console wars that man has ever seen. The biggest company in the computer world finally starts to make a console and they have the money and power to do it, the GameCube had to come sometime as the N64 is no longer doing to well and it might prove to be a sucess. The PS used the PS1 to make more money whilst people where waiting for the PS2, the GBA has sold in the millions and it's all because of reputation.

But with all the choice now availible it will without a doubt become a war that only one will win, and that winner will be.......

'Make no mistake, then gaming world is now at war'
Sat 20/10/01 at 11:06
Yo,

Talk 2 me Please
Sat 20/10/01 at 11:05
Regular
""
The gamecube has got everything that every other consoles got and more. Woops Repeated post.
Sat 20/10/01 at 11:05
Regular
""
The gamecube has got everything that every other consoles got and more.
Sat 20/10/01 at 10:40
Regular
"round the outside"
dunt any1 learn that console wars is a waste of time and u will be marked down as a really big spammer!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.