GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where does it go?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/10/01 at 23:05
Regular
I just thought of this not too long ago, after watching Afghan men firing guns into the air I used all my knowledge of physics and of weapons to realise something that I doubt has been really thought about.

Firing a gun into the air is one of the most dangerous things to do, why? Well when you fire it upwards at a certain angle it will travel at an extremely high velocity until it reaches a maximum height, then it begins to fall, again at it's maximum velocity. So where do they land?
Surely these bullets hit humans, animals, amunition, unexploded mines.
So maybe it's something that we fail to realise that when they are firing their guns upwards they actualy harm their own people. Just a thought ehh.
Mon 22/10/01 at 19:54
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Do they not vaporise eventually... only have a certain distance before they disappear...

I think :-)
Thu 18/10/01 at 16:55
what an interesting conversation,
rather like spiders can't get hurt when chucked out of a plane =D
Thu 18/10/01 at 15:11
Regular
Slaveunit wrote:
> Do you think it's possible to (using all viable calculations) shoot a bullet
> vertically in the air with the gun on a stand, and the bullet returns to earth
> and falls back into the gun barrel?

Not if you shoot the bullet vertically.

You know when you see a space rocket tack off, I mean on the news, not from a film. You know it looks like it's going up with a curve? That's becuase the earth is moving. It is going directly straight up, but because we are moving, it looks like it's curling.

You COULD do it with the gun, but it would be almost impossible. You would have to take into account the rotation of the earth, the spin on the bullet, and various wind speeds (which are different all the way up through the atmosphere), to get it right.

Actually, I don't think it is possible, the calculations would be too complex, and you also have to remember that the weather is NEVER the same twice. If the wind speed changed by an infintesimally small amount, it would screw up the maths.
Thu 18/10/01 at 14:03
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Slaveunit wrote:
> Do you think it's possible to (using all viable calculations) shoot a bullet
> vertically in the air with the gun on a stand, and the bullet returns to earth
> and falls back into the gun barrel?

Theoretically yes, though you'd have to take loads of things into account for it to work; Air speed, the earths rotation and so on. It would be a bit of a nightmare to get it right. Be easier on the moon as it has no atmosphere, however the lack of atmosphere means that the bullet would continue to accelerate due to gravity, i.e. no terminal velocity, and would probably destroy the gun.

So possible yes, but don't hold your breath.

Unless you are on the moon, in which case it might not be a bad idea to do so....
Thu 18/10/01 at 13:44
"High polygon count"
VenomByte wrote:
> Similar chace to getting hit by an asteroid, probably. There are thousands of
> tiny ones landing on the earth every year, but do we ever get hit?

I've never been h...

Thu 18/10/01 at 13:33
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Do you think it's possible to (using all viable calculations) shoot a bullet vertically in the air with the gun on a stand, and the bullet returns to earth and falls back into the gun barrel?
Thu 18/10/01 at 13:31
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Similar chace to getting hit by an asteroid, probably. There are thousands of tiny ones landing on the earth every year, but do we ever get hit?
Thu 18/10/01 at 13:29
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
The bullet will return to earth at it's terminal velocity, which depends on the size and shape of the bullet fired. This is roughly 200mph. A bullet hitting you at that speed would weigh approximately 1kg, which would hurt quite a bit I should think.

The bullet fired from an AK 47 (weapon of choice for the angry crowd shooter) travels at around 1500mph, and as YH states the chance of it coming back down anywhere near you is pretty remote. I'm sure it has happened, though you'd have more chance of surviving that than if some one shot you with it properly.

Overall advice; Don't fire your guns in the air, it's bloody silly!
Thu 18/10/01 at 11:12
Regular
IT's such a small possibility though.

Think of how big a human is if you look down on them from above, the bullet would have to be spot on target to hit someone.

Also, they never fire them directly upwards, it's always at a slight angle. Because of the speed the bullet travels at, they travel a long way horizontally as well.

People probably do get hit, but not very often...
Thu 18/10/01 at 11:07
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Dr. Duck wrote:
> I was thinking about this recently myself too. You never hear about them killing
> anyone, but presumably the only possible alternative could be that they go so
> far that they burn up in the atmosphere, but i'm sure they couldn't reach
> anything like the kinds of speed to do that, could they?

They wouldn't travel high enough to burn up or pass through earths atmosphere.
Think on it like this, If you drop a penny from the Eifel Tower in Paris then it will travel at a velocity fast enough to kill a human easily. Bullets are designed to hurt and would probably do more damage if they hit.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.