GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Viewtiful Joe gets an 8, 8, 9, 8 in Famitsu"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Viewtiful Joe'.
Fri 20/06/03 at 22:39
Regular
Grade: 8
"When viewed in its individual parts, this title as an action game doesn't offer anything particularly novel. However, its clever production and the way the game is put together provides for a wholly exhilrating experience. Dodging enemy attacks to give them a taste of some super moves of your own is decidedly remiscient of pro wrestling and the kind of excitement it offers. The difficulty level is a bit on the high side, though."

"A sense of American-style humor pervades throughout this game, with over-the-top dialog reminisient of B-grade superhero movies. The action element itself, with its high difficulty level, is considerably geared towards dedicated gamers. Although the enemies are a bit on the tough side, super moves complemented with slow-motion/zoom effects and the manner in which they are utilized were very cleverly devised -- this left a good impression on me."

Grade: 9
"I had a bit of apprehension when I picked up the controller to play this game based on super-deformed (SD), transforming heroes. That apprehension turned out to be unnecessary however. Once you pull off some of the combos in this game using your character's special powers, you'll feel a sense of exhiliration that will have you unconsciously screaming "Man, I'm (Me...?) bad-ass!" The game is a bit on the difficult side, but the quality production on the sound and the very American comic-style visuals stand out. A very high-quality action title."

"This kind of shooting game has ceased to be anything rare, and with its its jump 'n attack style, the title can be called a completely representative action game. Still, it does what it does with a ridiculous degree of style, thanks to its manipulation of stillness and motion through use of special abilities and the sense of urgency provided through its fighting sequences. All of it will definitely knock your senses for a loop. While a lot of sequences require some thinking to get through, the appropriate difficulty level makes the game that much more fun."

Excellent!
Sun 22/06/03 at 14:52
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> Anyone else think Viewtiful Joe looks a little repetitive? Much like
> Product Number 03 but 2D?
>
> Background graphics are a bit cack also.

GET OUT!
Sun 22/06/03 at 13:09
Regular
2/10 was a fair score for the atrocity that was Starfox Adventures. The only reason I gave it a 2 was because of how nice the graphics were.

It was the most uninspired piece of linear, repetetive filth i've ever had the bad fortune to play.
Sun 22/06/03 at 12:18
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I wouldn't spend any money on it. Maybe if it was really cheap one day, but it really doesn't take my fancy. I don't know why.
Sun 22/06/03 at 12:15
Regular
Anyone else think Viewtiful Joe looks a little repetitive? Much like Product Number 03 but 2D?

Background graphics are a bit cack also.
Sun 22/06/03 at 01:23
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Tilta, how did you find out the Famitsu scores ? from a website or magazine ?
Sun 22/06/03 at 00:30
Regular
I'd give it 5/10.

4/10 I suppose is acceptable, but 3/10 is just way off the mark.
Sun 22/06/03 at 00:25
Regular
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you splurted over Games TM for giving ETM 4/10.

But 3/10? Oh no, that's ridiculous.
Sun 22/06/03 at 00:07
Regular
3/10? That's almost as ridiculous as Tiltawhirl's 2/10 for Starfox Adventures.
Sat 21/06/03 at 20:47
Regular
Sounds promising, a favourable review means a pretty high indication of quality.

And on a completely unrelated note, Edge gave Enter the Matrix 3/10.
Sat 21/06/03 at 17:40
Regular
8898 is quite a (high) decent score to famitsu standards. I think its worth pre-ordering a copy at dvdboxoffice.com for only around £23.50.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.