GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Acting natural"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/10/01 at 19:22
Regular
Have you ever met someone whoís a natural born gamer?

Itís charity week at school this week and Iíve decided to run an event at lunch times where everyone can have a go on my shiny new PS2 for the measly sum of 30p per play (winner stays on, Quake 3, 4 players). Actually, the interest in the event has been surprisingly high, and Iíve had to ìvolunteerî someone to keep track of the money and whoís playing next.

Anyway, thereís this little kid called Razi thatís turned up, and heís really, really good at it, even though he doesnít actually own a PS2 or Quake 3. To be honest, he very nearly beat me once, and it was only a last-second double frag with the grenade launcher that clinched it.

Have you ever met a natural born gamer? Are you yourself a natural? My mate Johnny reckons I am, and maybe so. I do know that I tend to kick but at racing games in general, but thatís about the limit of my skills. When I played Zone of the Enders, I still wasnít very good after 5 goes. I consider a natural gamer to be instantly (ish) good at any game he plays, like Razi. He kicks butt at Quake and ZOE, and has won the daily prize 3 times now.

We get naturals in all areas though, donít we? My mate Ric is a natural at Chemistry, in fact heís best in the year. The thing is though, without nurturing in the subject heíll never me any good. So why is it that people pick up games so easily? Razi is getting so good after 6 games that Iím in real danger of him beating me tomorrow. Maybe games are just designed so that you donít need to practise for ages to get good, and indeed thatís one element that makes a good multiplayer game. However, another element is ìdepthî. It has to be immediately accessible to people, yet thereís always got to be something to learn. Razi still hasnít mastered the art of circular strafing yet, but he will eventually (and Zeus help me when he does).

Anyway, thatís enough of that. Iím off to go practise for tomorrow...
Fri 07/05/10 at 22:01
Regular
Simon Morris The usual route starting from Hurstwood Car Park, including a small add-on around the resevoirs just before the killer climb - approx 24miles

Meet at Hurstwood Car Park at 08.30, if not sure of directions give me a ring and we can meet en route.
Thu 18/10/01 at 22:23
We have a club like that at my school but it's nowhere NEAR as successful as that! Hope it continues to be as successful for you :)
Thu 18/10/01 at 22:20
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
30 quid *Pants*

Blimey, a new ps2 game perhaps?
Thu 18/10/01 at 18:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Over £30 so far!
Wed 17/10/01 at 21:52
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Turbonutter wrote:
30p per play (winner
> stays on, Quake 3, 4 players).

30p per play? I bet you have made a bundle out of that so far :o)
Wed 17/10/01 at 21:46
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
I think I could be, I dont own a psx or a ps2 well any that work anyway, I haven't played on a psx for over a year now and at my mates sleepoevr we played This Is Football 2002.

After 1 hour I was beating the person who owned the Game!

I tend to pick thing up rather easily like excitebike, DeltaJava has owned this game for quite a while and in 5 days I was basically kicking bottom :o)

There are some games that I don't pick up on so easily, like maybe stratagy or games with lots of buttons :o)

I wouldn't mind if it someone brought their PS2 into school, but saying that our school is a bunch of dope smoking theives.

Still, I wouldn't mind kicking razi's bum :o)
Wed 17/10/01 at 20:21
Regular
"You've upset me"
I'm quite a natural gamer. It's mainly because I learn very quickly. I only need to be told things once and then they stick in my mind. First time I played GoldenEye. Multiplayer, got told the controls and then stuck in the arena with 3 other people who all owned the game and had done for over a year. It was free for all with Pistols, first to 10 kills. I shot 5 people inside 3 minutes and the game was over in under 10 minutes.

Console games I can pick up and play, PC ones I find harder. Smash Brothers on the N64, me V my mate who owned the game, I beat him 5 lives to 0!

Me V my mate on Operation Flashpoint. He kicked my @rse all over the landscape and still had time to eat some toast.
Wed 17/10/01 at 19:53
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I'm quite a natural gamer. I can usually pick up a game and find it quite easy. Obviously, you will always meet people who are better than you but losing is a sign of character.
Wed 17/10/01 at 19:42
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I uesd to be kind of a natural gamer, I think it just depends on the way you think things through when playing game. I could and still can play a game for the first time and do suprisingly well for never playing it.
Mario kart was one of the games that I could last for quite some time on in competitions before some expert would beat me.

I guess natural gamers do exist all depends on how your brain responds to the game.
Wed 17/10/01 at 19:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Have you ever met someone whoís a natural born gamer?

Itís charity week at school this week and Iíve decided to run an event at lunch times where everyone can have a go on my shiny new PS2 for the measly sum of 30p per play (winner stays on, Quake 3, 4 players). Actually, the interest in the event has been surprisingly high, and Iíve had to ìvolunteerî someone to keep track of the money and whoís playing next.

Anyway, thereís this little kid called Razi thatís turned up, and heís really, really good at it, even though he doesnít actually own a PS2 or Quake 3. To be honest, he very nearly beat me once, and it was only a last-second double frag with the grenade launcher that clinched it.

Have you ever met a natural born gamer? Are you yourself a natural? My mate Johnny reckons I am, and maybe so. I do know that I tend to kick but at racing games in general, but thatís about the limit of my skills. When I played Zone of the Enders, I still wasnít very good after 5 goes. I consider a natural gamer to be instantly (ish) good at any game he plays, like Razi. He kicks butt at Quake and ZOE, and has won the daily prize 3 times now.

We get naturals in all areas though, donít we? My mate Ric is a natural at Chemistry, in fact heís best in the year. The thing is though, without nurturing in the subject heíll never me any good. So why is it that people pick up games so easily? Razi is getting so good after 6 games that Iím in real danger of him beating me tomorrow. Maybe games are just designed so that you donít need to practise for ages to get good, and indeed thatís one element that makes a good multiplayer game. However, another element is ìdepthî. It has to be immediately accessible to people, yet thereís always got to be something to learn. Razi still hasnít mastered the art of circular strafing yet, but he will eventually (and Zeus help me when he does).

Anyway, thatís enough of that. Iím off to go practise for tomorrow...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.