GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web Safe Fonts"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/10/01 at 19:59
Regular
A lot is publicised about web safe colours that can be used.
Yet nothing ever seemed to be mentioned about what Fonts are safe to use.

I'm assuming Times New Roman & Arial are safe fonts. Does anyone know what else is safe to specify on a web page?

Also is it possible to specify more than one font e.g. if so, is it worth doing this?
Tue 16/10/01 at 19:59
Regular
"It's Only Me"
A lot is publicised about web safe colours that can be used.
Yet nothing ever seemed to be mentioned about what Fonts are safe to use.

I'm assuming Times New Roman & Arial are safe fonts. Does anyone know what else is safe to specify on a web page?

Also is it possible to specify more than one font e.g. if so, is it worth doing this?
Wed 17/10/01 at 08:07
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ukconfederate wrote:
> A lot is publicised about web safe colours that can be used.
Yet nothing ever
> seemed to be mentioned about what Fonts are safe to use.

ACTUALLY THERE IS ALOT OUT THERE REGARDING FONTS AND THE WEB AND WHICH ONES TO USE ETC..

I'm assuming Times
> New Roman & Arial are safe fonts. Does anyone know what else is safe to
> specify on a web page?

TIMES, ARIAL, HELVETICA, VERDANA, SANS SERIF. THESE ARE THE BEST AS THESE APPEAR ACCROSS MOST PLATFORMS (MAC & PC)TRY TO STICK TO COMMON SYSTEM FONTS

Also is it possible to specify more than one font e.g.
> if so, is it
> worth doing this?

yES, YOU CAN SPECIFY MORE THAN ONE FONT WITHIN THE TAG, BUT ALL THE BROWSER DOES IS LOOK FOR THESE IN THE ORDER THEY ARE ENTERED IN ON THE USERS COMPUTER. SO IF YOU PUT "ARIAL, HELVETICS, TIMES, SANS SERIF" IT WILL OOK FOR THEM IN THAT ORDER AND USE THE FIRST ON IT FINDS.

PERSONALLY, AND FROM EXPERIENCE WITH USABILITY, I WOULD STICK TO ARIAL, HELVETICA (FOR MACS) AND VERDANA AND NOT TO USE ANYTHING QUIRKY LIKE COMIC SANS AS THERE WOULD BE NO QUARANTEE THAT THE END USER WILL SEE WHAT YOU SEE!...

HOPE THAT HELPS
Wed 17/10/01 at 11:44
Regular
"How Handy."
Also interesting to note is the Caps Lock key on the left hand side of your keyboard. This is something a lot of webdesigners neglect and dont notice, but can produce INTERESTING EFFECTS.

=op
Wed 17/10/01 at 12:31
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
I was in a CAPS mood this morning!! nothing like a bit of veriety!! Kinds of displays the stress I've been under this week!!

Sorry...

Won't happen AgAiN!!!
Wed 17/10/01 at 19:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Tyla wrote:
> AgAiN!!!

Now that's just insecurity ;)
Thu 18/10/01 at 10:40
Regular
"It's Only Me"
Thanks for your advice Tyla!
Thu 18/10/01 at 10:48
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ukconfederate wrote:
> Thanks for your advice Tyla!

Cheers!! Apologies for the CAPS though!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.