GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Come On...Own Up...What did you do with them ?...I'm waiting...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/10/01 at 10:29
Regular
This might seem a bit long but I have not had a long rant since last week.
Is anything that you can do with old consoles/computers etc ? or is it just the rubbish bin ?
I was searching in my loft to find an Acorn Electron, two Sinclair ZX Spectrums, a Mega Drive and two old 486 PCs. My sister did have the Mega Drive but she now has my old Playstation. I was thinking of cleaning the Mega Drive up and taking it with the mountains of games to the local Orphanage as they might be able to use it.
Perhaps I am being a bit stupid here, but I cannot think of what to do with the rest as the technologie is old, slow and dusty ! Does everyone else have the same problem ? What did you do with yours ? If you sold them or traded them in, where do you think that they are now ?
I do not know how many units Sega and Nintendo sold of their Mega Drives and SNES but once you have bought your new console, there is generally not much reason to keep you old one. OK, there is a period where you do not have many new games but with my PS2, there was not even a small reason to keep the PSX.
Are they recyclable ? Otherwise, will we see electrical stores in the future, like car scrap-yards, saying ìyeah, mate, I have a joypad port for a Mega Drive Mark One. Yours for two Euro.î
Your comments please !
Tue 16/10/01 at 10:29
This might seem a bit long but I have not had a long rant since last week.
Is anything that you can do with old consoles/computers etc ? or is it just the rubbish bin ?
I was searching in my loft to find an Acorn Electron, two Sinclair ZX Spectrums, a Mega Drive and two old 486 PCs. My sister did have the Mega Drive but she now has my old Playstation. I was thinking of cleaning the Mega Drive up and taking it with the mountains of games to the local Orphanage as they might be able to use it.
Perhaps I am being a bit stupid here, but I cannot think of what to do with the rest as the technologie is old, slow and dusty ! Does everyone else have the same problem ? What did you do with yours ? If you sold them or traded them in, where do you think that they are now ?
I do not know how many units Sega and Nintendo sold of their Mega Drives and SNES but once you have bought your new console, there is generally not much reason to keep you old one. OK, there is a period where you do not have many new games but with my PS2, there was not even a small reason to keep the PSX.
Are they recyclable ? Otherwise, will we see electrical stores in the future, like car scrap-yards, saying ìyeah, mate, I have a joypad port for a Mega Drive Mark One. Yours for two Euro.î
Your comments please !
Tue 16/10/01 at 10:44
Regular
"not dead"
My old Atari 2600 is at my parents place, in a box somewhere.

As is my Acorn Electron.

My first Sega Master System I broke, by plugging the Acorn Electron power lead into it.

My second one is also in a box iat my parents, along with the NES, Megadrive, and the SNES went up there earlier this year.

Even though I don't play them, I'd couldn't part with them!

I've sold some old games, but the consoles stay!
Tue 16/10/01 at 10:50
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
I have a Commodore 64 at my partents with about 40 titles, As well as an Atari 2600.

To add to the list, I have:

Snes + 20 games
Nes + 5 games
N64 + 15 games
Megadrive + 10 games
PS2 + 8 titles (+10+ PSX titles)
An original Pong machine!!
GBC
GB Original
And

An Atari Jaguar with 3 games!!

I've kept them all for nostalgia. As well as a good laugh at retro gaming. i was offered a small fortune for my NES not so long ago.

I'll find a use for them one day. Retro gaming and it's equipment is becoming a big industry for collectors... Kind of like "Antiques" but more fun!!
Tue 16/10/01 at 10:50
Regular
I could never part with my copy of SWOS for the Amiga. I dont play on it much these days, but every time i have a long holiday i always set-up my amiga and play on Sensible.
Tue 16/10/01 at 10:56
Tyla wrote:

I've kept
> them all for nostalgia. As well as a good laugh at retro gaming. i was offered a
> small fortune for my NES not so long ago.

I'll find a use for them one day.
> Retro gaming and it's equipment is becoming a big industry for collectors...
> Kind of like "Antiques" but more fun!!

Tyla, I suggest you organise a gaming day sometime, somewhere. We can all come round and play old games ! There has to be a calling for it. There are enough people chatting on this site to say they are up for it.

So, with your portable TVs, its round to Tyla's !
Tue 16/10/01 at 11:40
"High polygon count"
My local Game store said that they will soon be starting up a 'retro' section, and that they'd take my Sega Game Gear off me, and all the equipment I have for it, in the same way as a game trade-in.

So you may be able to get some cash for your old consoles.

However, they weren't interested in my old Amiga A500+.
Tue 16/10/01 at 11:49
Regular
"Back For Good"
atari 2600-in box in my room
Nes-in my room
snes-might have it
master system -got rid of
amiga 500-sold it
amiga 600-sold it for my playstation
amiga 500 (bought another)- still got
playstation-sold it
dreamcast-sold it
gameboy (old type)-had lines on the screen and it broke
Tue 16/10/01 at 12:57
Regular
you'll never guess what i saw in G**e
atari jaguars for £29.99
and the games were £9.99

now i never had a jaguar but is that a good price?
Tue 16/10/01 at 13:18
Buy it ! Buy it now. No, don't reply, just buy it. Any console for 29.99 plus games for a tenner is worth it. Judging from what we have heard, these things could become collectable and worth something anyway. A good investment and good cheap gaming fun !
Tue 16/10/01 at 16:13
Regular
The Jaguar was meant to be crap anyway.

I'll be getting a second hand Snes.

The N64 didn't make it obselete the way a new console normally does.

Why not?

Because the game style changed completely.
N64 was mainly 3D and the Snes was mainly 2D.

The Gameplay is comepletely different and a breath of fresh simple air.

The Gamecube will most likely make the N64 obselete though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.