GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NTL got their act together - WOOHOO!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/06/03 at 13:05
Regular
Indeed they have, which means I've signed up for their Broadband + Console package and should be online within a week or so, maybe sooner.

I rang up the special hotline for this package and yet again I got a woman who knew nothing. However, she was American, which made listening to her worse. After telling me I'd need a £50 console (wtf?) I said I didn't know what that was, and told her I knew I'd need the official Network adaptor, and I asked her if I'd need a router in order to allow the leads to reach my room.
"You're going wayyyyy over my heard there" She said. "I'll transfer your call to someone who knows a lot more about this than I do". So it took about 3 minutes to have my call transferred to some English BLOKE, (yes, thank god, a BLOKE) called Alastair. He knew more about it than me, which I was very relieved at, and he basically had the whole thing sorted within 5 minutes.
He said I'd need a minimum of Windows 98 Special Edition, which I didn't have, I have just 98. He didn't seem perturbed, and asked whether I had a network thingy on the back of my tower. I didn't. He wondered if I had a USB port spare. I did. He said it would work so long as I had another USB port free. I trusted him in this matter and promptly made the order.
I just hope he's right, or that me having Windows 98 won't be an obstacle.

Fingers crossed. I look forward to having ~SRS~ next to my name! :D
Thu 26/06/03 at 00:18
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Yeah, I have a hotmail account.

My sister managed to erase messenger, which is annoying, I'll have to download it again.

Anyway, it's [email protected]

Cheers darwock, I appreciate it.
Thu 26/06/03 at 00:10
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
That's what I offered to do about 5 posts down ;-)

Got a hotmail address I can send it to or anything?
Wed 25/06/03 at 22:52
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Oh right.

It doesn't take long to install does it?

If not, you wouldn't mind lendnig it to me would you?

I'd be very grateful.

Cheers.
Wed 25/06/03 at 22:24
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Windows 98 is compatible with Broadband. It's NOT compatible with Internet Connection Sharing. Which is what this program does.
Wed 25/06/03 at 22:21
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
This application allows for compatibility between Windows 98 and broadband, eh?

What exactly does it do?
Wed 25/06/03 at 22:15
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I didn't say anything like that Shocktrooper... WIndows 98 won't be OK. I have an application that will work on it - do you want it?
Wed 25/06/03 at 21:45
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Yeah, I hope you're right, Darwock.

And you're saying that Win 98 should work anyway?

And what did you mean, "let me know how I get on and I'll send it on"?

You'll give me your PC? :-D

Oh, and I almost forgot.

Now that I know I can get the service I want, I was informed by my good friend Alastair today that there are not enough "tabs" in my area, meaning ntl have got to get their bottoms over here and fit more, or I wait until someone "clocks/clicks off", so I can then take their place.

Fortunately, Alastair's annoyed because he's lost a sale and promised to keep an eye on the situation, because he has no idea as to how long ntl will take to add more of these tabs.

*Looks at watch*
Wed 25/06/03 at 15:04
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I'm guessing that's because he said he didn't have a network card. You can get USB->ethernet devices that work the same as network cards.
Wed 25/06/03 at 14:26
Regular
"  "
USB port? :S
Wed 25/06/03 at 13:17
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Windows 98 doesn't support ICS. However I have a 500K application which runs on my Win 98 machine that does the job superbly. Let me know if you want me to send it on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.