GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pokemon Dilemma"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/10/01 at 22:54
Regular
Pokemon is everywhere and loads of kids love it. But why? I've watched some episodes of Pokemon (when I was REALLY bored) and I just can't see what the craze and fuss is all about. I found it absolutely rubbish!!

Pokemon is a Japanese cartoon, like no other cartoon. It has many same features as Japanese manga films, except it has no blood included. When characters talk their triangular mouths just move up and down, and their faces look totally dumn. Most of the time they talk rubbish anyway with faces like 'Mary Poppins'. Character voices are completely lame making the cartoon very boring and repetitive.
For all of you out there who don't know what Pokemon is, where have you been? Have you been locked away in a cave or something? Pokemon is everywhere on the Telly, with loads of adverts and loads of programmes. It's all about a boy, Ash, who wants to become the best Pokemon trainer. Pokemons are 'weird animals' with unique capabilities. Ash has to train all his Pokemon so he can fight current Pokemon Masters to win more Pokemon and stupid badges. Yes, very interesting, NOT! Whoever thought of the idea that is 'Pokemon' must've made bucket-loads of money. How can someone become so rich from such a simple and dumn idea. If only I thought of it first!
Lots of Pokemon merchandise is available practically everywhere. Pokemon cards, T-shirts, shorts etc. and now even a game has been made for it. There are three current Pokemon games for the Gameboy/Gameboy Colour and two for the N64. These have been current best-sellers and Pokemon Gold topped the charts!! Unbelievable!!! Obviously, it must be all the little kids that made this happen, I mean you see them everywhere. Either playing it on their Gameboys with their mates or trading cards. Its amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.
Personally, I detest Pokemon for many reasons. The animation is terrible, the storyline is dull, most of the characters seem phony and basically, it's very annoying!!! Why can't the Television Publishers put a better programme in its place because Pokemon is a waste of space. Everything about it just screams at you 'RUBBISH'. Pokemon fans must've been hypnotised by watching it for the first time or something because that's the only explanation I can think of that makes this programme appeal to them. Yeah, it must be that furry little yellow fiend 'Pikachu'. When he shouts "PIKACHU" he must be projecting sound waves to the viewers brain, forcing tthem to enjoy it, that's why people find himso cute.

As you can tell I do not, personally, like Pokemon, but I'm sure some of you do. Some of you might like the game, but not the Programme, that's my case, but I certainly do not like the Programme. Pokemon is Ok in some ways and terrible in many others!!!
Sun 21/10/01 at 11:27
Regular
Stephen 108 wrote:
> i like the games but not the cartoon

As do a lot of people like me
Sun 21/10/01 at 11:08
Regular
"Digging!"
i like the games but not the cartoon
Sat 20/10/01 at 22:40
"period drama"
ok.
(i have actually got pokemon yellow. but shhhh!)

BOO! POKEMON!
Sat 20/10/01 at 22:21
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
It's nice that you have such strong opinions Strafex, but this guy, as you have pointed out, is very wrong, if he's never played on the games, how can he comment on them? he has no point to proove here other than he's single minded.
I know these forums are for arguing, but find something fresh, pokemon is old news. If you like it, that's fine, i'm still trying to get my teams up to L100, it's hard, pokemon Gold is great! do not diss.
Sat 20/10/01 at 22:05
Regular
Reload wrote:
> Hey take it easy! I was only giving my opinion just as you have yours. And lets
> not judge other games by their video franchises, so why are you trying to say I
> am? I hate the programme, but the games aren't half bad. At least they're not as
> cheesy as the episodes, but still the storyline and basis suck!!
I like the
> Pokemon on the Gameboy Colour only because its a nice adventure, but still it's
> not what I usually go for. I'm not judging Pokemon from the cartoon, I'm judging
> it about everything about it!!! I mean what's the big deal about silly little
> cards? And now these cards are worth loads of money to trade, I mean come on.
> Their only cards!! Fair enough if its children that enjoy it because they're
> still at an early stage of life, but for me Pokemon is a definite no no!

What annoyed me is that you hadn't played the game.

You'd seen the cards, kids on Gameboys, the cartoons, the rest of the franchising and thought you'd yell about how crap it is.
It's as if you did it to be "cool"...

The ONLY reason why so many people don't like Pokemon is because for 6 months it was everywhere.
I too might've been ticked off if the Gameboy games weren't so damn good.

People should know better than to slate it because of the the Franchising though.

And if you say a game is crap because of its TV series then you will be called an idiot.
Don't make the same mistake again.
Sat 20/10/01 at 20:45
Regular
"always swirling"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> BOO! pokemon
BOO! wrestling
BOO! football
BOO! microsoft
BOO! popular
> stuff.
BOO!

*Pulls out sawn off twin barreled shotgun.
shoots.....

.... pokemon!

then FFF*

lovely, the sounds of bullets Penetrating someones skull.
umm, fresh!
Sat 20/10/01 at 20:16
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
*Fog lowers his head.

I have pokemon yellow for my GB, it's actually good fun, and as long as I try and get over the fact that it's a 'kids' game i'm fine, and now i've got all 150, I can focus my sights on keeping this secret to myself.
play the game, everyone seems to think they're far too cool to play these games, but they're the best GB games i've played on, pokemon silver is revolutionary! you can only catch certain types in the morning or afternoon (realtime playing means you HAVE to play the game in the morning or afternoon to catch all 150!) + why do people feel they should say how bad this game is? this game has had more topics saying "this game is so bad, I wouldn't consider eating it" more than any other game.
ok, i'll keep quiet now.
Sat 20/10/01 at 20:04
"period drama"
BOO! pokemon
BOO! wrestling
BOO! football
BOO! microsoft
BOO! popular stuff.
BOO!
Sat 20/10/01 at 19:22
Regular
I hate the Pokemon cartoon and toys but love the game on the gameboy, have you ever played Pokemon on the Game Boy? It's a really good game that kept me hooked for ages.
Sat 20/10/01 at 18:56
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
POKŠMON GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL

POKŠMON!!

Sorry

:o)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.