GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 plea"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/10/01 at 19:51
Regular
I'm getting a PS2 for Xmas, but just want to be enlightened on this GREEN DVD PLAYBACK thingymagig. Is this all solved by the scart lead?

I'm getting the SR GT3 Fire Pack - Is this a good deal?
Sun 14/10/01 at 19:51
I'm getting a PS2 for Xmas, but just want to be enlightened on this GREEN DVD PLAYBACK thingymagig. Is this all solved by the scart lead?

I'm getting the SR GT3 Fire Pack - Is this a good deal?
Sun 14/10/01 at 19:54
Regular
"WWJD"
i don't know and that deal is good i got just the fire pack deal
Sun 14/10/01 at 21:58
"High polygon count"
The green DVD playback is actually *caused* by a SCART lead, not solved by it. This is due to a rather crackpot 'anti-piracy' method which SOny dreamed up, rather than including the usual Macrovision protection.

Anyway, without going into the technical details, you will will be absolutely fine if you use the cable which is supplied in the box with your PS2. Your DVD's and games will both be in full colour.

If you get a SCART lead, you will get a better picture for your games, but the DVD's will appear in shades of green, unless you also buy Datel/CodeJunkies DVD Region X, which overcomes the problem.
Sun 14/10/01 at 22:07
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I have a normal TV, have not bought any extra leads etc. and my DVD playback works great!
Sun 14/10/01 at 23:24
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I used the Scart lead that i used for My PS1 and it works fine. Bought it from Dixons couple of years ago.
Mon 15/10/01 at 13:23
So does this mean that the 'Ultimate RGB Scart lead' that SR sell will cause me problems with DVD 'green' playback? Is it worth buying?
Also if you use Region X are there any problems with the official Sony DVD remote?
Mon 15/10/01 at 15:29
"High polygon count"
SkythePig wrote:
> So does this mean that the 'Ultimate RGB Scart lead' that SR sell will cause me
> problems with DVD 'green' playback?

If it's true RGB, then yes it will give you green DVD playback. Any and all true RGB SCART leads will. If it claims to be a RGB SCART and yet you get colour DVD playback, it is not *true* RGB SCART and you've been conned.

> Is it worth buying?

It depends how often you plan to watch DVD's regularly, and whether you are willing to get Region X. DVD playback through the supplied composite lead and SCART adapter is perfectly okay, and in colour.

> Also if you use Region X are there any problems with the official Sony DVD remote?

No problems whatsoever - I have both, and they're fine. You do have to enter some codes from the Region X website though, to get Region X to work with the updated 2.10 DVD drivers supplied with the remote. This is fairly straightforward, and full instructions are on the Region X website.
Mon 15/10/01 at 15:39
Regular
I got SR's GT3 Firepack about two weeks ago, I think it's a great deal and well worth the money.
Mon 15/10/01 at 18:31
Regular
"WWJD"
im getting the normal fire pack i ordered it on friday morning i payed an extra £3.00 so that it would come in 24 hours one working day but it still hasn't come do you think it'll come tomorow?
Mon 15/10/01 at 19:03
If it doesn't come tomorrow phone them and tell them you want it now...now I tell you now...

Ohohhoh... getting a bit mad there sorry...

It should turn up tomorrow.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.