GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Work or Play?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/10/01 at 19:25
Regular
What do you prefer? I don't know about you, but I prefer play, myself. I don't want any of you to get me wrong, I think that everybody needs to work because it's very useful and VERY rewarding. The thing with work is that it takes a lot out of you and by the time you get home you're nackered. Firstly, what is work? Work is labour. What is play? Play is to have fun. Now which one of those two statements seem the most appealing to you. I think it's play.

It's sometimes quite hard to explain why some people work, but I think I've got the solution. It's so they can get paid! Work is what most people do for a living to earn money, they're not doing to for free, they want something in return. The best way to skim through working hours is to think of what you're going to get out of all of it. There you go, there's a lovely piece of advice for you.
Without work nobody would be able to purchase any games or
even have a machine to play games on. Work goes on every second and everywhere, there's no stopping it. With all this in mind I still find playing much better than working, which I'm sure everybody would agree on that. Nobody really likes working unless they're doing something they enjoy. Otherwise, and in most cases, most people just get a job to earn some cash.
I personally like to work because I know I'll be rewarded after all the labour I go through! But I still find playing games more fun than work. Work is mostly dull and playing isn't. People play games voluntarily because they like playing games. People work because they feel that they have to. This is how work and play are distinguished from each other.
I would say that people should work and play, but obviously they'll need to find or prepare time to play! Playing games like Tekken Tag Tournament lets you release all the anger built up from work on to your opponent by simply bashing the button rapidly. This is why playing is essential for humans. It is a time where you can let out all your emotions and even change your emotion from angry to happy. Cheesy, I know, but it's true.
In a way playing games is work. Most games make you think and most games make you use your fingers, which is classed as work for your body. I think games that make you think are the best games. Fighting games make you think a lot even though you may not realise it. Every second you're thinking where to block or when to attack, things like that. Games like Resident Evil obviously make you think with all the mindblowing puzzles featured in most of their games.

So basically what I'm trying to say is playing games is much more appealing than working. Working is more useful though, but gaming is more interesting.

For any of you wondering if I'm a Psychiatrist, I'm not!
Sun 14/10/01 at 21:26
Highly paid and highly enthusiastic musicians would probably choose work over play.
There un-paid "leisure" time often becomes stale and boring very quickly, but when they're out performing and getting paid - they're loving life!

I mean like jazz musicians and stuff, not cheesy pop artists
Sun 14/10/01 at 20:59
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
What a silly question, who would choose work over play! Ridiculas!
Sun 14/10/01 at 20:55
Regular
If you do, I'll need to start one that translation book I mentioned earlier....

:-)
Sun 14/10/01 at 20:55
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Ah, that explains it. I must remember to write a letter of complaint to them. ;)
Sun 14/10/01 at 20:53
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I bet I could write a better dictionary...

Work: Its baws

:-D
Sun 14/10/01 at 20:49
Regular
That dictionary.com one is wrong.

:-)
Sun 14/10/01 at 20:45
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Nope, don't like that definition.

I'll go with the one at www.dictionary.com

work (wšrk)
n.
1) Physical or mental effort or activity directed toward the production or accomplishment of something.
Sun 14/10/01 at 20:39
Regular
That's correct, as you do not receive payment for them.

However, with school work, it depends on how you look at it, as if you put the effort in now, then you get a better job in later life, so you receive that I suppose.

Depends on how you look at it.
Sun 14/10/01 at 20:37
Regular
"smile, it's free"
So housework, schoolwork and homework, are not in fact, work?
Sun 14/10/01 at 20:35
Regular
Wrote:

"Work is labour."

Wrong.

Work is something you do, for which you recieve payment. Simple as that.

Therefore, housewives do no work, as they don't recieve any payment for the activites they do, therefore they do no work.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.