GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do Survival's kick it?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/10/01 at 18:03
Regular
Hell yes they do!!!

Survival horror games started back in the good old days of Playstation with the legendary Resident Evil series, produced by Capcom. Resident Evil was THE game to get when first released, and at that time it didn't disappoint. The graphics were good, but that doesn't matter, all that matters was "did it scare you?". When I first played it I was pretty chuffed to say the least and very tense. The music gave a really eerie twist to the game like something was about to jump out from nowhere and eat you! The thing that really done my head in about this game and the other Resident Evil games for the Playstation was the cut-scenes. When characters talked to each other they seemed to leave massive intervals between their conversations. This really took the interest out of the game, but now this has been fixed for Resident Evil on the Dreamcast and PS2.
The PS2 version, Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, is a massive improvent to the current series. There are a wider range of monsters, weapons and of course puzzles to attend to. Obviously, the graphics have revolutionised from 'blocky' to 'spocky'(whatever that means) increasing the emphasis of the game. This game has probably the best ever seen FMVs, yet.
Resident Evil isn't the only Survival Horror game that rocks though, oh no. Onimusha Warlords kicks a hell of a lot of butts when it comes to THE greatest survival. Although the storyline may not appeal to some horror fanatics, it is exactly right for this genre. Set in feudal Japan, the noble warrior, Samanosuke has to rescue princess Yuki who was kidnapped by monsters in a truly evil world. This game has a lot to do with demons and spirits, and I certainly found it quite intensive. Whilst I was playing it my whole body went stiff (except for you-know-what) when just running down a corridor. Every second you thought that some one-eyed demon was going to pop out at you and start lashing into your hero. This was a truly great Survival horror. The fact that its not like the normal Resident Evil series actually makes this a better game. After all, different is normally more appealing. The atmosphere of the game itself was shivering. Your hero is equipped with enhancable weapons and this even includes a gun. The only real upset about Onimusha was the length. It was quite simply too short, making the game more familiar when played over and over. But still this game is true brilliance.
Now let's move over to Extermination for the PS2. Extermination is a alien Survival Horror with, quite frankly, too many cut-scenes. The controls are quite simple and your character responds brilliantly to your commands. Many features in this game include, weapons, puzzles and a heck-loads of aliens. This game is quite long, but still not long enough. The graphics are good enough to be called a Survival and the gameplay is OK. Extermination is a great improvement to the Aliens series, but lacks that sweet touch that both Code Veronica X and Onimusha has. Oh, there's also alone in the dark, but I'm sure we don't want to talk about THAT!
Survival Horrors are true brilliance with so many great titles available for the genre and so many titles due to be released very soon. One word to describe them
HORRIFIC!!!
Sun 14/10/01 at 20:47
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I'd like survival horrers a little more if survival was actually more tricky...
Sun 14/10/01 at 18:47
Regular
"360: swfcman"
You seem to have forgotton the scariest Horror game ever, Silent Hill. That was the best horror game i have ever played, great story, great graphics (for the PS1) and great sound that all added to the atmoshere.

Resident Evil though is my favourite series though, i always get the new one just to see the next part of the story, it also is a great game. Shame i wont be getting the new ones as there on GC.
Sun 14/10/01 at 18:24
Regular
"Death to the Infide"
yep. survival horror is GOOD as it can keep a high amount of a strong emotion up, even though it isnt real. (like FF7 the best of all the FF's) The resi series is my fave, as where else are you gonna find Guns, Zombies and hot chicks in tight clothes outside of an Evil dead flick?
Sun 14/10/01 at 18:03
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Hell yes they do!!!

Survival horror games started back in the good old days of Playstation with the legendary Resident Evil series, produced by Capcom. Resident Evil was THE game to get when first released, and at that time it didn't disappoint. The graphics were good, but that doesn't matter, all that matters was "did it scare you?". When I first played it I was pretty chuffed to say the least and very tense. The music gave a really eerie twist to the game like something was about to jump out from nowhere and eat you! The thing that really done my head in about this game and the other Resident Evil games for the Playstation was the cut-scenes. When characters talked to each other they seemed to leave massive intervals between their conversations. This really took the interest out of the game, but now this has been fixed for Resident Evil on the Dreamcast and PS2.
The PS2 version, Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, is a massive improvent to the current series. There are a wider range of monsters, weapons and of course puzzles to attend to. Obviously, the graphics have revolutionised from 'blocky' to 'spocky'(whatever that means) increasing the emphasis of the game. This game has probably the best ever seen FMVs, yet.
Resident Evil isn't the only Survival Horror game that rocks though, oh no. Onimusha Warlords kicks a hell of a lot of butts when it comes to THE greatest survival. Although the storyline may not appeal to some horror fanatics, it is exactly right for this genre. Set in feudal Japan, the noble warrior, Samanosuke has to rescue princess Yuki who was kidnapped by monsters in a truly evil world. This game has a lot to do with demons and spirits, and I certainly found it quite intensive. Whilst I was playing it my whole body went stiff (except for you-know-what) when just running down a corridor. Every second you thought that some one-eyed demon was going to pop out at you and start lashing into your hero. This was a truly great Survival horror. The fact that its not like the normal Resident Evil series actually makes this a better game. After all, different is normally more appealing. The atmosphere of the game itself was shivering. Your hero is equipped with enhancable weapons and this even includes a gun. The only real upset about Onimusha was the length. It was quite simply too short, making the game more familiar when played over and over. But still this game is true brilliance.
Now let's move over to Extermination for the PS2. Extermination is a alien Survival Horror with, quite frankly, too many cut-scenes. The controls are quite simple and your character responds brilliantly to your commands. Many features in this game include, weapons, puzzles and a heck-loads of aliens. This game is quite long, but still not long enough. The graphics are good enough to be called a Survival and the gameplay is OK. Extermination is a great improvement to the Aliens series, but lacks that sweet touch that both Code Veronica X and Onimusha has. Oh, there's also alone in the dark, but I'm sure we don't want to talk about THAT!
Survival Horrors are true brilliance with so many great titles available for the genre and so many titles due to be released very soon. One word to describe them
HORRIFIC!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.