GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help needed - wireless network connecting to Internet"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/04/07 at 19:32
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
This is my brother's problem, who lives in another house, but I'm the one having to sort it all out. Anyway, onward ...

Here's what he has:
Wireless Router: Buffalo WHR-G54S
Wireless NIC: Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54S
DSL modem/router: Bt Voyager 220v

And the problem is as follows:

He wants his home set up so that his computer is upstairs, and that his modem and router are both downstairs.

We set up the computer upstairs and both routers downstairs and to begin with, we found that we could connect to the wireless router, but not the DSL one or the Internet.

Later we discovered that the cabling was wrong. So we sorted the cabling out so that everything was plugged into the right socket. Then we found that we couldn't connect to the wireless router.

There's a lot more to the story which, now that I think about it, doesn't make sense. The simple problem is that when the computer is connected to the BT router via Ethernet, it is able to connect to the web, but to do that, the computer has to be downstairs next to it. We can't connect wirelessly.

We are able to connect to the wireless router, but not the internet.

I know my description isn't great, but neither is the situation. It all became a huge confusion because none of my family know what they're doing, but they won't let me just get on with it, and now I'm lost because it all doesn't logically add up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Thu 05/04/07 at 22:07
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
All sorted now. Many thanks everyone! I had to take the access point approach in the end (Sly Fox) because when I tried loki's suggestions, I was unable to connect to the DSL router. Maybe there's something i nthere that I've missed. NAT?

Edit: Oh balls. Different subnets.

Mental note to self: Print off pages when people offer you help next time.
Wed 04/04/07 at 13:04
Regular
"YTS Primate"
A much easier way round this is to set up the voyager as if it is the only router.

Then turn the Buffalo into a wireless access point on your network.
If the IP address of the voyager is 192.168.1.1.

On the Buffalo leave all the wan settings blank. Set the LAN side to a static IP of 192.168.1.254 for example and turn off DHCP. Connect the two together LAN port to LAN port with a standard patch cable.
Wed 04/04/07 at 09:50
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
One of our Support Team offered the following advice, but he pointed out that this is a difficult way of configuring your connection:

You will need to make sure that the router and the DSL modem router are on different subnets. (ie. make sure that if the Voyager is on 192.168.1.1 that the Buffalo router is on for example 192.168.2.1.)

The Buffalo router needs to be set to use the IP address of the Voyager router as its default gateway, the DNS servers should be set to 195.74.113.58 and 195.74.113.62

The machine connecting to the Buffalo router should use the IP address of the Buffalo router as its default gateway and again the DNS servers should be set to 195.74.113.58 and 195.74.113.62

I hope that helps.
Mon 02/04/07 at 23:45
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
It's already off.
Mon 02/04/07 at 22:22
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Does the wireless router have DHCP (probably does)? If so try turning it off.
Mon 02/04/07 at 19:32
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
This is my brother's problem, who lives in another house, but I'm the one having to sort it all out. Anyway, onward ...

Here's what he has:
Wireless Router: Buffalo WHR-G54S
Wireless NIC: Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54S
DSL modem/router: Bt Voyager 220v

And the problem is as follows:

He wants his home set up so that his computer is upstairs, and that his modem and router are both downstairs.

We set up the computer upstairs and both routers downstairs and to begin with, we found that we could connect to the wireless router, but not the DSL one or the Internet.

Later we discovered that the cabling was wrong. So we sorted the cabling out so that everything was plugged into the right socket. Then we found that we couldn't connect to the wireless router.

There's a lot more to the story which, now that I think about it, doesn't make sense. The simple problem is that when the computer is connected to the BT router via Ethernet, it is able to connect to the web, but to do that, the computer has to be downstairs next to it. We can't connect wirelessly.

We are able to connect to the wireless router, but not the internet.

I know my description isn't great, but neither is the situation. It all became a huge confusion because none of my family know what they're doing, but they won't let me just get on with it, and now I'm lost because it all doesn't logically add up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.