GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Re-Releasing DVDs....Right or Wrong?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/10/01 at 11:49
Regular
Personally, I hate it when this happens. I bought Seven about a year ago now (maybe even earlier) knowing there were no extras but buying it simply for the great film. Now the picture and sound were poor which annoyed me enough. Then I hear that that it is being re-released as a special feature packed 2-disc set.

Now some may think that this is a good thing as people can now enjoy lots of extras and great picture/sound quality. Maybe it is a great thing if you didn't already pay 15 quid for the first version but since I did, I can't help but feel why the hell didn't they wait and release that as the first and only version. The answer - because they make more money. Goddamm them!!!

I ended up buying this special 2-disc version for a tenner when it was in a sale. I'm still trying to sell the original version.

The next DVD it happened with - Armageddon. I remember wanting this DVD when I first got my DVD player. Region 2, no extras. Region 1, double disc set. Not fair! So, I looked on the release lists on different sites searching for a re-release of Armageddon. I couldn't see one anywhere but thinking about Seven made me wait. So I did. I waited....and waited. Eventually, still no 2-disc set on the release lists so I went out and I bought it. A few weeks later, what do I come across on a release list? Yep, you guessed it.....Armageddon: Special 2-disc edition.

Now I've got that in my collection as well. Yes, I bought it. So I now have 2 versions of seven and 2 versions of Armageddon in my DVD collection. At present, I'm trying to sell them each for a fiver so I can buy the next culprit without losing too much money off it.

What is it? Enter the Dragon. I bought this months ago thinking it was uncut and that it was the only version coming out. How wrong I was. Not only was it not uncut, but it was more cut than the version BBC2 showed a few weeks back. Now, a box set is being released containing the full, uncut version of the film, a commentary track, interviews, an original 1973 featurette, trailers and then the usual postcards and things you tend to get in box sets. Now this has annoyed me more than ever. I really want this DVD but I have bought so many DVDs recently that I'm trying to resist. If I manage to sell Enter the Dragon, Seven and Armageddon then I can make myself about 15 quid which means I can buy the new box set version for nothing.

So what do you think of re-releasing DVDs in special box sets and 2-disc editions?

Why do companies do it? Is it simply for more money or do they not plan to bring out another version until later?

It has happened to me on 3 occasions now but what can I do about it except refuse to buy the new edition? That's right, absolutely nothing.

And also, how do people choose whether to buy a no extras version of the film or not. There are so many DVDs out at the moment that have no extras that will never have another version released.

The next DVD I expect to see get a new release is The Rock. A double disc set over in America, a flipper over here. Quite a big difference really.
Sun 14/10/01 at 16:30
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I never buy VHS anymore. I only buy DVD and have replaced a few of my VHS titles with DVDs.

Another advantage of DVD - the tape can't screw up inside the VCR. My Gattaca VHS was completely destroyed inside my VCR a few nights back so now I need to get that on DVD as well.

And I've now decided to get both Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon Box set because I like Bruce Lee too much not to.
Sun 14/10/01 at 14:32
Regular
actually its not cheaper to buy on VHS beacuse
1. eventually they wear out
2.the picture and sound quality isnt as good as DVD
3. depending on where you shop you can get UK DVDs for only £12..where as some videos especially Disney cos upto £16 for an older title

you dont have to convert yet VHS is going to be here a good long while. i still buy videos as well as DVDs becasue it would be insane for me to convert now.
i have only replaced one of my videos for DVD and thats only because it was worn to the bone and the sound has gone nuts.
Sun 14/10/01 at 14:16
Regular
"May Contain Nuts"
I just wish companies would stop trying to get us to convert to DVD instead of VHS buy releasing it on DVD with so called 'extras'! VHS does the job and is cheaper! Yet making DVD's is cheeper yet they charge more! I wonder why this is, do they think we are stupid!!!!!! All they want is our money! Its alright in america cos there its cheeper and they get releases first! Its all a big con!
Sun 14/10/01 at 14:11
Regular
they are only re-releasing the DVDs because people now expect more than a trailer to come with the film.
Buena Vista re-released their range cos most of them were flipper discs and people really hate getting up in the middle of the film to flip over the disc

Enter the Dragon has been re-released cos i think it is the anniversary of his death or something.

and only the DVDs which are three+ years old are getting the treatment.

dont worry about buying new releases they wont get that treatment for ages because the disc making guys actually think about what goes on the disc...(with the exception of Paramount)
Sun 14/10/01 at 14:08
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
My dad brought the Exorsist on DVD a few weeks back for £8. Now, there's a new version with deleted scenes!!! I know it's only £8, but it's the principle of the thing that matters!
Sun 14/10/01 at 12:10
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I understand what you mean, Vottenator.

It must be hard to see it the way I do if you have all ready been subject to the wait and buying the inferior DVD.

I really must start getting DVDs, they are easily better than VHS.

FAD, me thinks ;O)

SHOCKY
Sun 14/10/01 at 12:06
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Shocktrooper wrote:
> I s'pose it's all right, there's no harm about it.

In a way I agree with you. I mean, if you've not already bought the original, inferior release then it is okay but if you're like me and you've already bought the first version of Seven, Enter the Dragon and Armageddon then there is harm done as you've just gone and lost yourself over 30 quid.

And it's not always predicted that another will be released which then makes it difficult to decide whether to buy a DVD or not. You could be sitting there without it for ages (like I did with Armageddon) and another DVD may never be released so all you've done is wasted time.
Sun 14/10/01 at 11:58
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I s'pose it's all right, there's no harm about it.

I'm not sure, but isn't this a form of 'Penetration Pricing'? Where the company releases a product at a low price, and the re-releases it again at a higher price? Except, in this case, they release the product first just to make a bit of money AND advertise the film a bit, then they re-release it with extra stuff, at a higher price - am I right??

I think it's a good idea. You don't want cr@ppy DVDs all the time, so they bring out good ones soon after, I think that's what you said, anyway! :-D

SHOCKY
Sun 14/10/01 at 11:53
Regular
"Wasting away"
WEll there are two sides to this arguement. One of them saying yes and the other saying no.

I wouldn't really know what to say because of the only reason they are re-released is because of the extras. So if they are worthy having and it's a collectors issue then I'd buy it.

But on the other hand if it is just to make more money and they could have just put it in the original then I would go to their HQ and severly beat them.

All DVD's should be released to the best of their ability to start with rather then later as it's wastes the constumers money.
Sun 14/10/01 at 11:49
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Personally, I hate it when this happens. I bought Seven about a year ago now (maybe even earlier) knowing there were no extras but buying it simply for the great film. Now the picture and sound were poor which annoyed me enough. Then I hear that that it is being re-released as a special feature packed 2-disc set.

Now some may think that this is a good thing as people can now enjoy lots of extras and great picture/sound quality. Maybe it is a great thing if you didn't already pay 15 quid for the first version but since I did, I can't help but feel why the hell didn't they wait and release that as the first and only version. The answer - because they make more money. Goddamm them!!!

I ended up buying this special 2-disc version for a tenner when it was in a sale. I'm still trying to sell the original version.

The next DVD it happened with - Armageddon. I remember wanting this DVD when I first got my DVD player. Region 2, no extras. Region 1, double disc set. Not fair! So, I looked on the release lists on different sites searching for a re-release of Armageddon. I couldn't see one anywhere but thinking about Seven made me wait. So I did. I waited....and waited. Eventually, still no 2-disc set on the release lists so I went out and I bought it. A few weeks later, what do I come across on a release list? Yep, you guessed it.....Armageddon: Special 2-disc edition.

Now I've got that in my collection as well. Yes, I bought it. So I now have 2 versions of seven and 2 versions of Armageddon in my DVD collection. At present, I'm trying to sell them each for a fiver so I can buy the next culprit without losing too much money off it.

What is it? Enter the Dragon. I bought this months ago thinking it was uncut and that it was the only version coming out. How wrong I was. Not only was it not uncut, but it was more cut than the version BBC2 showed a few weeks back. Now, a box set is being released containing the full, uncut version of the film, a commentary track, interviews, an original 1973 featurette, trailers and then the usual postcards and things you tend to get in box sets. Now this has annoyed me more than ever. I really want this DVD but I have bought so many DVDs recently that I'm trying to resist. If I manage to sell Enter the Dragon, Seven and Armageddon then I can make myself about 15 quid which means I can buy the new box set version for nothing.

So what do you think of re-releasing DVDs in special box sets and 2-disc editions?

Why do companies do it? Is it simply for more money or do they not plan to bring out another version until later?

It has happened to me on 3 occasions now but what can I do about it except refuse to buy the new edition? That's right, absolutely nothing.

And also, how do people choose whether to buy a no extras version of the film or not. There are so many DVDs out at the moment that have no extras that will never have another version released.

The next DVD I expect to see get a new release is The Rock. A double disc set over in America, a flipper over here. Quite a big difference really.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.