GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No more online games for me :("

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/07/03 at 13:25
Regular
It seems all the new online games involve so much that they are "broadband only" They may say they run on 56k and they will but you will jump around and have a miserable time. Quite apart from the 10 min loading times.

I want planetside. Very much. Only it wouldn't work on my 56k modem and there is no broadband where i live. And probly won't be. Ever. Well mabey someday BT will decide that us rural types (i live 2 miles from people who can get broadband and am 25 miles south of london!) are worthy of high speed internet. Yes i know they don't upgrade unless its 'cost effective' but then they are providing a selective service only where they can make money. Damnit.

Ah well. So who here has broadband and in what kinda area do you live?
Thu 03/07/03 at 13:25
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
It seems all the new online games involve so much that they are "broadband only" They may say they run on 56k and they will but you will jump around and have a miserable time. Quite apart from the 10 min loading times.

I want planetside. Very much. Only it wouldn't work on my 56k modem and there is no broadband where i live. And probly won't be. Ever. Well mabey someday BT will decide that us rural types (i live 2 miles from people who can get broadband and am 25 miles south of london!) are worthy of high speed internet. Yes i know they don't upgrade unless its 'cost effective' but then they are providing a selective service only where they can make money. Damnit.

Ah well. So who here has broadband and in what kinda area do you live?
Thu 03/07/03 at 13:38
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Is your area cabled?

I might play a game online now actually...

Hmmmmm.

Or I might play GTA Vice City seeing as I installed it and never played it..
Thu 03/07/03 at 13:45
"I love yo... lamp."
I stay in Glasgow. I have ADSL. Originally I looked at cable but they dont actually have it down my street. So I got Sky instead. NTLs fault they went bankrupt. Don't make their service available enough.

Make sure you register your interest in broadband though. When enough people register then they put it in if it is technically possible. But if no one can be bothered registering then it will never happen.
Thu 03/07/03 at 13:50
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
It depend on how well the game is coded, i played warcraft 3 with WS until 6am this morning on 56k, it played flawlessly. WS noted some little judders, but nothing major.

Im in the same position as you on broadband, its not cost effective to upgrade the exchange. We have 54 people who have registered there interest in ADSL though, so we are about a quarter of the way there until we are given a trigger level.
Thu 03/07/03 at 14:34
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Got Broadband, live in a suburb of Edinburgh.
Thu 03/07/03 at 14:40
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> It depend on how well the game is coded, i played warcraft 3 with WS
> until 6am this morning on 56k, it played flawlessly. WS noted some
> little judders, but nothing major.

Only because of your scummy hosting.

Anyone can play WC III, it only needs a .5Ghz processor and if you're on 56k you can play a game with 5 other BB users and have no lag.
Thu 03/07/03 at 14:41
Regular
I live on the edge of the area, I can get BB (going in as we speak :)) but the house across the road can't.
Thu 03/07/03 at 14:43
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
That's a bit crappy.
Still, you can always point and laugh.

I can't get BB. Nearest place that can get it is about 10 miles away.
:(
Thu 03/07/03 at 14:57
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It's all about the Freeola 2MB and unlimited webspace!

*screams*

My site could be massive if I could afford that...

But my 150kb line is easily the fastest connection that you can get. (Fastest, not widest) I get pings of below 20 usually. You'll have to do well to get any lower than that.
Thu 03/07/03 at 16:58
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
>
> Make sure you register your interest in broadband though. When enough
> people register then they put it in if it is technically possible. But
> if no one can be bothered registering then it will never happen.

Heh im trying. I put up posters round where i live asking people to register their interest but the angrey old ladies tore em down. :(

will have to try again though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.