GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TOAD with an R"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/07/03 at 00:33
Regular
Yep, most people probably already saw it, Tomb Raider released early after a few shops decided they'd go ahead and sell it anyway. Once one did it, the rest said, "hell, lets do that as well".

Taking a risk, for the first time since perhaps early 2001, I decided to buy without reading extensive reviews. I did it early on in PS2's life, going on instinct and pretty game covers, but usually these days I put at least a few minutes thought into it. With Tomb Raider though I was kinda tempted, despite seeing some negative previews that said little niggles were still in the game.

Anybody else having fun with Tomb Raider? I enjoyed the five minutes I've so far tested it for, but feel that this may not be an accurate representation for the rest of the game, mostly because I met no enemies, and had every move spelled out for me. However, more testing will take place soon, but one thing I already found annoying about it - speed. Why does she take a few seconds to start running. I'm willing to accept its probably more realistic, and looks smoother, but I much prefer the Devil May Cry / Final Fantasy 10 style control where characters start running straight away when you ask them to. Still, its only a minor niggle, it'll be fun to see how the full game turns out!
Sat 05/07/03 at 16:32
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I don't have the game, but from the TV ad it looks pretty much like all the other Tomb Raiders. But with punching.

I haven't played it though, so I don't really know.
Sat 05/07/03 at 12:59
"High polygon count"
ssxpro wrote:
> Hey Wooks, I tried sending an e-mail to ya last night, seemed to get
> stopped, some kind of error with your address, not quite sure what the
> e-mail I got meant.

I got a message from you today - will reply later today.

The error you got was probably because of the anti-spam software I recently installed. I did add your address as a friendly one, but obviously there's still some settings I need to play with! :-)
Sat 05/07/03 at 12:26
Regular
Had a little more time trying it out now, and its starting to grow on me I must admit. It takes a while, but its possible to get used to the slow start running, and happily, the jumping seems slightly easier than previous versions, don't quite know why, but perhaps its just a little bit more responsive.

I quite liked the rain effects, but must say that the CG sequences seemed a little fuzzy. I guess after that FFX-2 trailer, we've probably been spoiled - the Tomb Raider sequences seem to be no match for the Squaresoft artwork.

Ah well, back to it soon I guess!

Hey Wooks, I tried sending an e-mail to ya last night, seemed to get stopped, some kind of error with your address, not quite sure what the e-mail I got meant. I'll try the other one in a bit, but hope you don't have any troubles with your e-mail!
Fri 04/07/03 at 19:19
"period drama"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
The easy first part is just a replacement for the training
> levels (such as Croft Mansion) in the previous games.

*Shock*
No mansion!
No farting butler to lock in the meat locker?
Argh!
*Goes to play TR2*
Fri 04/07/03 at 11:02
Regular
"  "
Three parts I think.
Fri 04/07/03 at 10:22
Regular
"Proud PS2+GC Owner"
I've been told that there is no ending to this game it is a four parter, anyone else heard this?
Fri 04/07/03 at 00:57
"High polygon count"
Howdo matey!

Yup, having loads of fun with TR. Played 14 hours straight on the day of purchase, and loved every minute so far.

Don't worry about having everything explained to you - that'll soon stop. The easy first part is just a replacement for the training levels (such as Croft Mansion) in the previous games.
Fri 04/07/03 at 00:36
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
i always found the Tomb raider games sluggish in the control-> reaction time stakes
Fri 04/07/03 at 00:33
Regular
Yep, most people probably already saw it, Tomb Raider released early after a few shops decided they'd go ahead and sell it anyway. Once one did it, the rest said, "hell, lets do that as well".

Taking a risk, for the first time since perhaps early 2001, I decided to buy without reading extensive reviews. I did it early on in PS2's life, going on instinct and pretty game covers, but usually these days I put at least a few minutes thought into it. With Tomb Raider though I was kinda tempted, despite seeing some negative previews that said little niggles were still in the game.

Anybody else having fun with Tomb Raider? I enjoyed the five minutes I've so far tested it for, but feel that this may not be an accurate representation for the rest of the game, mostly because I met no enemies, and had every move spelled out for me. However, more testing will take place soon, but one thing I already found annoying about it - speed. Why does she take a few seconds to start running. I'm willing to accept its probably more realistic, and looks smoother, but I much prefer the Devil May Cry / Final Fantasy 10 style control where characters start running straight away when you ask them to. Still, its only a minor niggle, it'll be fun to see how the full game turns out!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.