GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Let's start a good old Console War!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/10/01 at 13:59
Regular
Right, lets compare the next generation consoles!

Xbox: It's big! I haven't seen one in person, but reports always start on just how big it is compared to the other consoles. Is this really important? No, but heck, is it ever big. It has 4 ports for its controllers (which look like a Dreamcast, Playstation hybrid). Games are on DVD, but I don't think that the Xbox will play DVDs out of the box - though it is capable of doing so once you buy the right bunf. It's broadband internet ready, with an Ethernet port, and an internal hard drive will hold all of that important saved game information.

3 Typical Games:

Halo: A sci-fi shooter with a huge amount and variety of weapons. It also features both vehicle & foot based action. The arenas are said to be huge, both indoor & outdoor environments that should create intense multiplayer shootouts.

Blood Wake: A boat combat game, by all accounts! A combination of strategy and action as you take on big boats with bigger guns over 25 story based missions, also features a split-screen 2 player mode.

Project Gotham Racing: You'll have to boast about speed, flair & risk taking if you're to get anywhere in this racer that includes 200 accurately modeled circuits in London, Tokyo, San Francisco & New York. There may be only 25 or so cars available, but it's attemping to de-throne GT3 as king of realistic racers!

Playstation2 - We all know what it does now, 2 controller ports, though a multitap allows for more to play the games. Console also offers DVD playback straight out of the box. Will be internet accessible in the near future.

3 Typical Games:

GT3 - Lots of pretty cars, lots of tracks, great handling. Bets racer ever? Some might say.

MGS2 - Big expectations on this stealth sequel. It puts you back in the role of Solid Snake, as you sneak around, in a box if you choose, and complete missions.

Devil May Cry: An action game with a gothic look, you play Dante with vampire genes, allowing him to transform into a vampire. Boasts skin crawling monsters as Capcom continue to tread new ground with 'horror' games.

GAMECUBE: - Tiny little machine, meant as a games playing machine only. 4 controller ports should help Nintendo to continue it's legacy of fantastic multiplayer games. The console will offer online capabilities, with both a standard modem and broadband adapter being in the works.

3 Typical Games:

Luigis Mansion : - Take the role of Luigi as he explores his mansion, and help him rid it of ghosts using a vacuum cleaner.

Eternal Darkness: A horror tale set over 2000 years, with 13 playable characters. Battle with your mind as if your sanity meter slips too low anything could happen!

Zelda: Shocked many with it's major graphical makeover, this title will still be amonst the most anticipated in the early year of the 'CUBE's life.

So which is best then?

It seems that with this genaration there are going to be more multiplatform games than ever before, with EA, Konami, Sega, Capcom and many other big developers trying to get their games out to as wide an audience as possible, so it's going to come down to which exclusives you like best.

It seems to me that each console will be better for one type of game than the others will be.

So far the PS2 seems to have a wide range of excellent racing games. So far it has also had a number of mature shooters and action games.

The Xbox appears to attract the more strategic games, more simulation based than action based.

The GAMECUBE will probably be the home for those games that have become typical on a Nintendo console - huge adventures, fantasy lands, and no doubt frantic multiplayer games.

For me the GAMECUBE is the only console that will suffice. Ive always been a fan of Nintendo's games, and they have some great second parties now working with them to give a wider variety to those Nintendo exclusives.

I've never been a fan of racing games, (except the comic style racers) and don't feel that the PS2 will offer a great deal to me that I shalln't be able to get on the 'CUBE. I'm not saying there aren't good games, just that they're not for me.

The Xbox also has some nice looking games, but they just don't appeal. They don't scream "FUN" at me the same way the likes of Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion have.

In terms of what each console is capable of, there won't be a great deal of difference. We'll all be able to play FIFA and ISS, and other popular multiformat games. If you're not fussed by the typical Nintendo game, there will be little reason to buy a 'CUBE. If you're not fussed by the types of game that Microsoft have published in the past, why insist on an Xbox?

If you're a fan of games in general, the popular franchises, then you might as well just get whichever console is cheapest, or which has the cheapest games!

Either that or base your decision soley on the appearance of the console. (And remember that the GAMECUBE has a handle.)
Fri 12/10/01 at 23:10
Mmmmm... Soul Calibur... GC.... Mmmm...
Fri 12/10/01 at 23:00
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
SC2 = Soul Calibur II
Fri 12/10/01 at 22:53
Hmmm. SO what's happening with the Xbox? Awfully quiet lately. Or is that just me?
Fri 12/10/01 at 22:50
Regular
If you really agreed with Meka then you wouldn't say Gamecube, you'd say GAMECUBE!

:-D

By the way, SoA = Skies of Arcadia, everyone knows what ISS is but what's SC2?
Fri 12/10/01 at 22:33
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Gamecube looks great, have you seen the new keyboard for it!? It's made by ASCII, you can see a picture of it on planetgamecube.com - http://www.planetgamecube.com/hardware.cfm?action=profile&id=92

Anyhoo... lets not get into a peripheral war... we don't want the PS2 fans wetting the bed!

Overall the Gamecube looks the better... with development costs up and more titles making it to all consoles (multi-platform) I think the Nintendo exclusives will see Nintendo the victor.

Have you seen the latest annoucments? SoA, SC2 and ISS for Gamecube? If you're planning on getting another console, don't let me put you off, but i'd take another look at the Gamecube!

Game: Agrees with Meka!
Fri 12/10/01 at 22:28
I reckon that might be rude.
Fri 12/10/01 at 22:17
Regular
Ask Slaveunit what the GAMECUBE's handle is really there for...
Fri 12/10/01 at 22:15
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Bang on, the GC screams FUN at me. :o)

Or maybe thats... My sister shouted "Fu.." Hmmm :oD
Fri 12/10/01 at 21:55
Regular
Cooky wrote:
> Yes all hail BRITNEY! The new RULER of the WORLD!

She may not rule the world, but she can rule me any time. :-)
Fri 12/10/01 at 21:49
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I will carry it around town dressed up as some FBI guy wearing black and stuff and have a luminous GC. I will look queer. Not unusual though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.