GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pb and Meka Sitting In A Tree...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/10/01 at 00:45
Regular
... With FM, Goatboy and Wookiee!

You have to get the rhythm right for it to work... keep trying if it doesn't!

There is a point to my risking losing friendship with these fine gentlemen, and it's this:

Being of roughly the same age, these 5 FOG legends have something in common... yes, age is one, but it's not what i'm talking about. What i'm talking about is starter games, and their gaming... heritage, if you will.

I'd have said that these lads, if I can call them that, are between 25 and 35 and that most of them have seen all the major turns in gaming from the release of the Spectrum all the way up to the latest next-gen announcements.

My point, or question is this...: 'With more companies re-making, and wanting gamers to re-live the classics that made gaming during the 70's and early to mid 80's, do you think there is a danger of spoiling the gaming memories that bring people like Meka, FM, Pb and Wookiee so much pleasure?

Not being able to play the game(s) has it's flaws, but somethings are best kept as memories, and heaven knows that going back to a game you loved as a child only to find out it's not quite as good can crush you! - I remember playing Fifa International Soccer on my friends Mega Drive years after it's release, only to find that the blocks that I once gawped at were too blocky and the isometric view that I thought was ingenius was infact, laughable! Now, I know it's 'all about the gameplay', but there are graphics you can't look past and to me, these were those graphics. I would have preferred to have left this game alone and kept the memories of playing it on the new TV with my brother sitting in the lounge on my 12th birthday, intact!

It doesn't exactly leave you completely devastated or emotionally ruined, but it does bring out the occasional 'Awwwww' and 'Noooooo'!

Recently, THQ and Sega decided to club together to bring back some classics to the GBA... I suppose it'll bring the indutry-making games to the gaming newbies of the world, but their time will come... you can't have the best of both worlds... you either get to drive a 50's Cadillac or a TVR Tuscan... you can't have both - It's a rule! (From now on...) The young gamers of today would probably shun the old classics, dubbing them 'sad' or 'too basic'... maybe so... but if you knew a scraggy old bear that you'd loved for years would you let it be fed it to the dogs for entertainment?! - I think not!

The PlayStation generation don't need columns when they have Bust-A-Move and Fantavision. They don't need Shinobi when they have Metal Gear Solid and Goemon. I can't see why companies that played a part in the birth of gaming would want to see their classics, that once took #1 spot, sit back in the shadows while Nickelodeon titles and more PokÈmon titles take the crown. Even then the re-born classics would scrape a few thousand pounds in every other country... so is it worth it to ruin the gaming veterans' foundation of gaming enjoyment? - I say no! Classics are timeless, yes. But that's where they stay to continue to be classics, in the history of time... not stacked on some shelf in the local gameshop for the 8th times on the 5th platform, where ANOTHER PokÈmon game sells 7-fold to that of the classic!

Maybe these guys (Meka and Pb etc) don't care... maybe they'd like to see these games revisited... but to me it seems like digging up old celebrity graves - 'where once a legend lay, bones are all that's left, bones that are indistinguishable to other bones to all who look upon them'...

Okay, so i'm no William Shakespeare, but surely you can see how upsetting this might be for some older gamers? Younger gamers might want to play the games, but I guarantee that most will cast aside the classic for the newer, 'in' title. There are plenty of developers and plenty of game ideas, why exhaust the classics?!

Thanks,

Game

Opinions Everyone? - Especially those mentioned in the topic!
Fri 12/10/01 at 20:03
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I can't remember what I am? Some one explain to me the difference between M and F.

Heh! Just goes to show your've never seen my AMAZING web page! Ooooo I looked my name up on www.altavista.com today and WOW! To my quite surprise I was the 1st entry it came up with! Last year in a module on the internet we had to look into search engines and how much it cost to put yourself on em. Your surposed to pay to have your site on altavista.com Heaven knows how my site got there!

Ha ha, there's a challenge for anyone who wants to know about me. Look me up on a search engine. Hmmmm without my full name you might have a hard time. Unless all those stupid meta tags actually worked!

:)
Fri 12/10/01 at 18:59
"possibly impossible"
I risk danger every day by revisiting old games through emulation or playing the machines they were created before. Sometimes they disappoint my memories, but more often than not they are still as I remember them.

It helps to have friends who are equally interested in old games, otherwise you find yourself going round and boring the socks off of people by sharing your memories and hazy recollections of games past. Luckily, one of my friends, who is actually slightly older than me, runs a games shop and is the kind of person to hunt down limited edition US and Japanese Megadrive games on auction sites, while his eyes light up when customers mention that they have a dusty old Vectrex system in their loft and want to offload it for 50p. The only way he can actually get away with this is that his wife collects dolls, so itís kind of a trade off. Doesnít work for me, Iím afraid.

Old games being remade? Well, thereís no reason not to. You can always use the premise behind the game and create a whole new game engine around it (as theyíve done with Wolfenstein) and as long as you donít get too bogged down in keeping it retro, then it doesnít matter. To me, all gaming is fun and whether the graphics are dated or not, the games are still playable and worth revisiting.
Fri 12/10/01 at 16:30
Regular
Tall white envolope, large postage, bigger package, looking for an email with a fast typer, and a free server.

Hoping for a "pen pal" relationship.

Must be willing to settle in a reb box...
Fri 12/10/01 at 16:29
Regular
"Angry"
It does get confusing doesn't it?
Just like when The Beatles came out with their rowdy hair and ruffian behaviour, it was shocking.

Of course, these days you are never sure if it is a male or female you are talking to.
Fri 12/10/01 at 16:25
"High polygon count"
A***-bandits - I'm always doing that!

Sorry, MALE, not MAIL.
Fri 12/10/01 at 16:20
Regular
WookieE's got all mixed up.

It's Males and Females, NOT mails and emails... ;-D
Fri 12/10/01 at 16:17
"High polygon count"
Anonymity - the joy of the internet.

I'm guessing mail, because females don't generall like to divulge their age without prompting!
Fri 12/10/01 at 16:05
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Just out of interest, Cooky, are you male or female. I'm guessing female because i have read a load of your posts and they seem to include a load of oooooo's and hee hee's.

I only say this because the pensioners keeps saying "wait till i catch HIM"

If you are a bloke then i am sorry if i offended you and shall go hide in a hole to releive my embarrasment!!
Fri 12/10/01 at 15:31
Regular
"Angry"
Shouldn't be out trying to start fights at your age you two.

Should know better. Why get into scraps when you can get up at 5am and walk to get the paper with your nice little doggy?

Just calm down and wait for "Highway" with that nice Harry Secombe.
I haven't seen his cherubic face in a while.
He was in The Goons, but that was all a bit too silly for me.
Fri 12/10/01 at 15:23
"High polygon count"
By the time I caught him, I'd have forgotten what I was chasing him for.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.