GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Japanese Glory"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/10/01 at 22:45
Regular
Why do all great consoles, games or even technology release in Japan before all the other countries? This really gets on my nerves. I read reviews of upcoming games and I'm teased by that alone. Then all of a sudden the next thing I hear is it's out in Japan. GRRRR!!!

Adverts in game magazines show offers of due out games for the UK, available to buy by import. These aren't offers, they come at ridiculous prices, usually £30 or sometimes £40 above the usual price itself! I mean c'mon, do these retailers really think we're that desperate?
I love games, especially realistic ones, but I hate waiting for ages to purchase them. It's just like being teased by a scrumptious apple pie, just waiting to be engulfed by hot, hungry breath.
Really, I understand that it's mostly the Japanese that think of and produce all these new technologies and games, but why can't they just share their 'masterpiece' and release their creations into the UK, especially, just a few days or even a week after being released in Japan, instead of us British having to wait months or in some cases years?
The PS2 came out in Japan in March 2001. We received it in England in November 2001!!! And that was even by pre-ordering. If you didn't pre-order you had to wait till March 2002 where it was available to buy in shops. This meant that they had 8 months of the PS2 before we did. In some way, this fact tends to get me a bit jealous, thinking WHY?
It's no longer a surprise to me that Japan receive everything about games before UK. Now, when I see release dates for great upcoming games for the UK, I instantly know that the Japanese, obviously, will receive it first. The GBA is another example. When I heard about Nintendo's newly-improved handheld, my first thought was "It's out in Japan first!".
Reviews in magazines also seem to rub it in. They get to play games that are released in Japan that aren't in the UK, and when they do they exclaim the greatness of the game. I just hate it!!!
This has become so terribly disturbing that now when I think or even hear about Japan, all that springs to mind is 'GAMING HEAVEN'. Its true though. Everytime I watch game-based programmes, they mainly mention Japan, showing examples of people playing new releases. On these programmes they explain that Japan is full of great developers, which really is the explanation why they receive everything first. Its also due to huge gaming companies like Sony and Nintendo. Sony who brought us the brilliant Playstation and the fantastic Playstation 2. Nintendo who brought us the popular SNES, the fun N64 and the soon-to-be-released Gamecube. Once again, they are bringing out all the goods.
The US are making great efforts to satisfy gamers by Bill Gates creation, the XBOX. This is a console, and probably the first console, that is going to be released somewhere else other than Japan. Still, Japan receive it before us because of XBOX's developers of their games are mainly based in Japan.

For the future I am seriously hoping that the UK will have their own big games developers so we can receive games near the same time as the Japanese do (making it fair). I know that there are some games developers based in UK, but obviously they're not big enough, yet. For now all I can do is WAIT......................................................
Fri 12/10/01 at 09:39
Regular
The only games and machine s made in Japan get released over there first which is annoying but perfectly fair.

What ISN'T fair is that when British companies make games, their publishers often insist that they release it in America first.

Rareware about 100 miles from where I live made several great games from Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark.

And yet these games appeared first one the OTHER side of the atlantic a whole month before they appeared here...

THAT is unfair!
Fri 12/10/01 at 00:07
Regular
true..bu i canna be bothered to import seeing as i get DVDs cheap/free anyways
unless the region1 version is so fantastic i stick with R2
Thu 11/10/01 at 23:43
"High polygon count"
Mystique wrote:
> hmm true but i wont do i have a perfectly good stand alone player

So do I, but it's better, cheaper and safer to get the remote and Region X for the PS2, than to get my S725D chipped for multi-region! :-)
Thu 11/10/01 at 23:39
Regular
WÚÛkiee M¯nßÜÄR wrote:.

> new official DVD remote, you too will have your drivers on a memory card! :-)

hmm true but i wont do i have a perfectly good stand alone player
Thu 11/10/01 at 23:29
"possibly impossible"
At least by the time they come over here, I have a better chance of affording the things!
Thu 11/10/01 at 23:27
"High polygon count"
Mystique wrote:
> the jap PS2 has to have the memory card in all the time cause that has the stuff
> on that allows you to play DVDs ours dont

Only the first wave of Japanese PS2 models need that - the rest are now the same as ours, including the big empty space that is the HDD bay.

And if you buy the new official DVD remote, you too will have your drivers on a memory card! :-)
Thu 11/10/01 at 23:25
Regular
the jap PS2 has to have the memory card in all the time cause that has the stuff on that allows you to play DVDs ours dont i say that is a good thing...
also translation takes a long time too and conversion to pal and and oh i dont care i have constant access to a Jap PS2 anyways ...roll on devil may cry,silent hill 2, and METAL GEAR 2 !!!!!!
mwuahahhahaha
Thu 11/10/01 at 23:03
Regular
"Excommunicated"
" We recieved it in England... "

Oh did WE now

;-)
Thu 11/10/01 at 22:59
I think its only fair that seeing as Japan makes everything they should get it first. I'm sure if I built a super duper 128-bit machine and some spangly games to play on it, I'd want the first go.

Come on, how many of us would build the thing and then say "Go on Japan, you play it first then tell me what its like and I'll play it in 3 months!"
Thu 11/10/01 at 22:55
Regular
"Back For Good"
Having games released here later can also be a good thing, for example fantavision got a new 2 player mode, tekken tag was graphically touched up and our PS2 is far better than the Japanese version.

It is a pain waiting so long for the pal releases especially when alot have black borders and slowdown, d'oh :-(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.