GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Tomb Raider Manual, am I missing something ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tomb Raider'.
Mon 07/07/03 at 22:02
Regular
The manual for this game states various things that I can't seem to find in the Options. I hope everyone else has these problems and that I am not missing something, or just going blind! Funny thing is these setups would probably make the game better.

It states there are 3 pre-defined controls set-ups for it, this would in my opinion probably be a hell of a lot better than the default one if the buttons could be changed. I hate the controls, funny enough I actually enjoyed playing the previous Tomb Raider games on a PC with a keyboard. They could have gave us an option for digital controls if the analogue ones were going to be so awful. Lets face the PS2 pad is terrible at analogue, if they wanna do analogue buttons they should have done it like the L&R buttons on the X-Box or even the Dreamcast! These tiny buttons are useless for pressure sensitivity ! Lara's response is terrible, countless times she doesn't react.

The manual also reckons the refresh rate can be changed, 60HZ would have been nice because the game is so god damn slooooow. Still no sign on the Options screen.

This is probably the only game where I've sworn and shouted at the main character when she moves so awkward and that was in the training bit !
Tue 08/07/03 at 01:09
"High polygon count"
You're not missing anything - chances are the manual was written well before the game code was finished. 60Hz would have been nice, but it's not essential. The game's nice and smooth without it. I also don't think the game is overly slow. It seems it, but that's because Lara initially only runs at jogging speed. This is intentional. Later in teh game when you get the Spring ability, you'll see the the game engine is actually pretty fast!

As for the controls - I get on with them quite well. Not sure what you're on about regarding the pressure-sensitive controls though, as AOD doesn't make any use of them?
Mon 07/07/03 at 22:02
"Flying Squirrels"
The manual for this game states various things that I can't seem to find in the Options. I hope everyone else has these problems and that I am not missing something, or just going blind! Funny thing is these setups would probably make the game better.

It states there are 3 pre-defined controls set-ups for it, this would in my opinion probably be a hell of a lot better than the default one if the buttons could be changed. I hate the controls, funny enough I actually enjoyed playing the previous Tomb Raider games on a PC with a keyboard. They could have gave us an option for digital controls if the analogue ones were going to be so awful. Lets face the PS2 pad is terrible at analogue, if they wanna do analogue buttons they should have done it like the L&R buttons on the X-Box or even the Dreamcast! These tiny buttons are useless for pressure sensitivity ! Lara's response is terrible, countless times she doesn't react.

The manual also reckons the refresh rate can be changed, 60HZ would have been nice because the game is so god damn slooooow. Still no sign on the Options screen.

This is probably the only game where I've sworn and shouted at the main character when she moves so awkward and that was in the training bit !

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.