GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Life Without Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/10/01 at 10:57
Regular
Iím as guilty as the next man when it comes to gaming. Thereís nothing I like more than firing up my PS2, cracking open a beer and whiling away the hours on my favourite game. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than defeating big boss whoever to get to level whatever.

My girlfriend on the other hand doesnít get it. Donít get me wrong, sheís happy that I have a ëpastimeí (if only she knewÖ!), but to spend hours infront of the box where the outcome only appears to be an increase in waste size to her seems ludicrous.

It got me thinkingÖ or more to the fact it got me worrying. What the hell would I do if it wasnít for video games? It sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it! Say on average I spent 2 hours a day playing video games, over the last 10 years (yes kids, theyíve been around that long!) I have spent 304 solid days tapping away at keyboards, clicking mice and twiddling joypads! For what? The best part of a year of my life doing something that to outsiders has no benefits whatsoever!

So what could I have done instead? Well if it was just two hours a day, I *suppose* I could have spent it with the other most important thing in my life ñ my girlfriend. Oh yeah like I donít see her enough alreadyÖ I mean we live together for gods sake, I do have to have some time to myself. Anyone whoís in the same boat as me knows full well that personal space is very important when cohabiting.

Maybe I could have taken up sport? Now thereís a fun, healthy, sociable idea. Never, ever been my bagÖ I enjoy watching sports and thatís about as far as it goes ñ I truly believe that genetics have something to do with those who do, and those who donít. Rarely have I met someone who sort of likes to do a bit of sport but can take it or leave it.

How about collating the 304 days and spend them travelling the world, seeing the wonders of different cultures and countries? Sounds a little more interesting, but thatís the kind of thing that I want to do when I have the money behind me to make the most of my experiences. Anyway, the amount Iíve spent on gaming over the years wouldnít even come close to the costs of a trip of that proportion. Over the next few years I intend my working life to fulfil this desire to a greater or lesser extent so at this point Iím happy to hang on.

So the gaping hole in my life would still be there. Iíve barely scratched the surface when it comes to the different hobbies and pastimes I could have persued, but it all comes down to one thing. I have filled the hole, and to fill it I chose gaming. I have thrown myself into it and gained far and above more enjoyment than anything else I have tried. In the words of the Jedi master himself: ëDo, or do not. There is no tryí.

Iím off to loosen my belt a little.
Wed 10/10/01 at 10:57
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Iím as guilty as the next man when it comes to gaming. Thereís nothing I like more than firing up my PS2, cracking open a beer and whiling away the hours on my favourite game. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than defeating big boss whoever to get to level whatever.

My girlfriend on the other hand doesnít get it. Donít get me wrong, sheís happy that I have a ëpastimeí (if only she knewÖ!), but to spend hours infront of the box where the outcome only appears to be an increase in waste size to her seems ludicrous.

It got me thinkingÖ or more to the fact it got me worrying. What the hell would I do if it wasnít for video games? It sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it! Say on average I spent 2 hours a day playing video games, over the last 10 years (yes kids, theyíve been around that long!) I have spent 304 solid days tapping away at keyboards, clicking mice and twiddling joypads! For what? The best part of a year of my life doing something that to outsiders has no benefits whatsoever!

So what could I have done instead? Well if it was just two hours a day, I *suppose* I could have spent it with the other most important thing in my life ñ my girlfriend. Oh yeah like I donít see her enough alreadyÖ I mean we live together for gods sake, I do have to have some time to myself. Anyone whoís in the same boat as me knows full well that personal space is very important when cohabiting.

Maybe I could have taken up sport? Now thereís a fun, healthy, sociable idea. Never, ever been my bagÖ I enjoy watching sports and thatís about as far as it goes ñ I truly believe that genetics have something to do with those who do, and those who donít. Rarely have I met someone who sort of likes to do a bit of sport but can take it or leave it.

How about collating the 304 days and spend them travelling the world, seeing the wonders of different cultures and countries? Sounds a little more interesting, but thatís the kind of thing that I want to do when I have the money behind me to make the most of my experiences. Anyway, the amount Iíve spent on gaming over the years wouldnít even come close to the costs of a trip of that proportion. Over the next few years I intend my working life to fulfil this desire to a greater or lesser extent so at this point Iím happy to hang on.

So the gaping hole in my life would still be there. Iíve barely scratched the surface when it comes to the different hobbies and pastimes I could have persued, but it all comes down to one thing. I have filled the hole, and to fill it I chose gaming. I have thrown myself into it and gained far and above more enjoyment than anything else I have tried. In the words of the Jedi master himself: ëDo, or do not. There is no tryí.

Iím off to loosen my belt a little.
Wed 10/10/01 at 12:01
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Life without consoles? are you mad? why have you thought about this?
Well although I havn't played anything but commandos and red Alert for the last few weeks, I still like games and my life would be very expensive without them. :)
nice post anyway.
Wed 10/10/01 at 12:46
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Fogmaster wrote:
> Life without consoles? are you mad? why have you thought > about this?

Dunno why I thought about it, I guess sometimes its nice to think 'what if...?'.
Wed 10/10/01 at 13:04
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Ok, it's just one of the many forms of entertainment avaliable to you, so what if....there was no tv?
what would our world be like? we have so much to be grateful to tv for, no I don't mean we get the chance to watch eastenders pretty much every day now, but meanthe news is there, when we want it, just after it happens, the newspapers are slow.
What would our world be like? hhmmm.
Wed 10/10/01 at 13:18
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
Life without Games to me is best described as "a holiday in scarbough, in an old folks home with your perants", but it wouldent be just a holiday.
Yep thats pretty bad, I cant even go aday without playing on a computer game, but a life time, I guess you'd have to like study harder, and get better jobs and more money!!!????
Wed 10/10/01 at 13:56
Regular
Life without games would be like a pen with no ink, like a cornucopia without fruit, like a book without words, like a PS2 without a memory card, like a ferrari without an engine, like a Mario without a tash, like, like - I think you get the picture....
Thu 11/10/01 at 00:08
People spend far more time watching TV! Two hours of gaming a day is harmless enough. People watch 6+ hours of TV day in day out, now THAT'S unhealthy. At least when gaming, there's some interaction. You don't JUST vegetate, it can take you through highs and lows, if you spend hours infront of a game its because you are thoroughly engrossed in it, not because you "can't find the remote".

I don't watch TV much at all, because its fundamentelly uninteresting and nothing I do affects it in any way (bar killing my whole family and having a brief stint on the news). However, while you can sit back and say "there is no actual point to gaming" there is no "point" to TV either. There's not a lot of point in many of the things we do, but we're still going to do them.
Why play Monopoly, Chess or Trivial pursuit? There is no point other than recreational fun. Games are fun so we play them, its simple logic really.

TV however, is not fun. It can be, but generally its dull but somehow manages to hold your attention better than constructive activities.

And while scientists are yet to prove that gaming can seriously affect you in any way, apparently it has been proven that over 80% of regular soap opera watchers have been DIRECTLY affected by watching them.
80%! We're talking decision making here folks, people are becoming so ridiculously tuned in to television that they actually find answers to there problems in Eastenders!

Scarier than that is the fact that the government buys plots for the shows. If they want to affect us in someway they turn a plot and a large bundle of cash over to the writers of the shows and before you know it 80% of us are eating out of their hands!

It'll be like 1984 before long. Big Brother is already watching us, we just don't know it yet.

In summing up, play computer games because TV is worse.
Fri 12/10/01 at 23:06
Regular
Now you get a new game to keep you hooked. :-)
Sun 14/10/01 at 12:41
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Oh the irony...!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.