GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Single platform!?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/10/01 at 10:01
Regular
Is it about time that we had a single platform?

Some people would argue that the competition helps the market by making the various companies work harder to create better games so that they can win over punters. Well as far as I can tell that is just ****! Sony's machine is the choice of the average developer due to its amassed user base from the Playstation. Microsoft seems to gather loads of developers because to create games for the machine is just like making games for the PC. And Nintendo seems to have it's own dedicated developers which seem to produce all their games.

Well instead of this huge division in the games industry, why don't they all just learn to get along. {arrrr} But seriously. Would it be soooo bad to have a singe platform? Making games universal. You know, like VCR's. There produced by different companies, but they all use the same type of cassette. Why can't console be like this? I'm getting really fed up with the amount of consoles I have out on my shelves! There's always a few games on each one you want to play, so youíre forced to have them all out so that you can use them. Grrr it's so infuriating! Why can't I just have ì1î console which will play all the games I want to play. I mean you want an N64 for Mario 64, Zelda, Goldeneye, PD, a Playstation for Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Time Crisis, Dance Stage Euro Mix, a Dreamcast for MSR, Jet Set Radio, Shemue etc... etc... etc...

I tell you if someone doesn't do something about this I might just go ahead and create my own monster of a console which incorporates all of these consoles into one, so that I don't have to have a whole bookshelf dedicated to them, and there millions of controllers.

Also my final point is that most of the games on all the consoles are the same. Tony Hawks etc. Well it might not seem that way at the moment but itís getting that way. With games like Soul Calibur and Tekken getting announced for the Gamecube etc, the division between the consoles is getting less. Itís just companies like Nintendo which make their own games which forces you to have to buy their machines to play their AMAZING games. What I want is a machine that will play all of Nintendoís games, all the new Final Fantasy games, the next installments of Shenmue, Metal Gear Solid 2 etc.

It MUST happen one day! Why donít Sony just give up on the Playstation 3, Microsoft give up on the X-Box 2, and then go form a great new company with Nintendo and create the perfect console! That would be every gamers dream, and would do soooooo much good for the games industry!

Fingers crossed! {something deep in my gut tells me that there unfortunately gonna be crossed for a loooong time}

Grrr-argh!
Thu 11/10/01 at 00:04
Regular
Are we going abck to these posts again ah yes reminds me of the sonintendoft post well as the controller 3 is coming out why not do sonintendoft 2.
Wed 10/10/01 at 22:31
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Oh, well the DC isn't using broadband and I hope i'll be getting it with my GC, so maybe it'll be alot faster then :)
Wed 10/10/01 at 22:02
The power of the console doesn't really matter, it is how that power is used that counts. What's the point in a powerful console if the games don't reflect that power.
Wed 10/10/01 at 21:58
Regular
Fogmaster wrote:

the GC is more powerful than the PS2 and the PS2
> is far more powerful than the DC. Will there be some way of making all the
> consoles play at the same speed?

Power won't really effect the speed of the Gameplay.

The Gamecube being more powerful means that it COULD be faster if Sega wanted it to be but it doesn't HAVE to be meaning that Sega can keep things even across all formats.

it should be good.
Wed 10/10/01 at 19:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Single platform would be rubbish. For one, there'd be no competition. Secondly, I have nothing to argue with Dringo about.
Wed 10/10/01 at 14:25
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Sega developing for Nintendo is a shock in the way that Sol Campbel pulling on a Arsenal shirt is for Spurs fans - a single console is an Economic imposibility. What I didn't mention throughout my last extensive post is that someone else could come in with a new console and due to the previously monopolistic conpanys poor machine and huge prices, they'd wipe the board. They could offer consumers cheaper systems, developers better liscensing fees and generally be a breath of fresh air.

To have mentioned that, however, would have ignored the single console point that started the debate.
Wed 10/10/01 at 13:20
Regular
A single games platform -
Peace on Earth -
A celebate Hugh Heifner -
All three, not a cat in hells chance!

Yet then again, who would have thought Sega would be making games for a Nintendo console?
Wed 10/10/01 at 13:11
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Well I guess that in a dream world it would be a good idea. That I could just pick up one controller off my floor and play on all the different consoles. It's never gonna happen. Like Fogmaster said who would decide on the console. I too wouldn't really want Sony to have a say, or Microsoft as a matter of fact, going by what the X-Box looks like! I guess i'll just have to wait for the Gamecube and then maybe buy some of the other consoles if there affordable, and have enough decent games on them to warrent my purchase.
Wed 10/10/01 at 13:11
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, what Gonzo said.
Wed 10/10/01 at 12:17
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
It's good fun to have loads of formats, i'd hate it if Sony took the market, as I hate Sony equipment, if Sony, Nintendo and Sega made one machine, it would take ages and they'd all have different ideas, maybe ending in 3 seperate versions of the console e.g. four controller ports or 2 ports...etc, etc.

the competition does help the market, with no competition they wouldn't bother making new consoles because they wouldn't need to, all the profit would be going straight to that ONE company.

The different companies make different games, e.g. Sony go for realistic games, Nintendo go for cartoon based games and Sega target at anything inbetween usually both, but somehow ended up being the worst company :(

A single format will not work, but they have made a start as when the GC is online the users will be able to play against DC users on Phantasy Star Line (sorry, I can't remeber the name) this is the beginning, Sony have already agreed that this is a good idea, so this will be the future of gaming :) but I think it may be unfair as the GC is more powerful than the PS2 and the PS2 is far more powerful than the DC. Will there be some way of making all the consoles play at the same speed?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.