GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cheats are they really the answer?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/10/01 at 09:49
Regular
I'm sure I'm right in saying that most gamers have cheated at one stage of their console playing. But why do we and the game maker do it?
I for one, feel that there is not much more of a better feeling of a game completed with out cheating but that isn't always possible as sometimes you either can't do them because you are having your head blown off or you can't solve the puzzles.
But if the game producers want us to admire there gaming ablity and graphic designs why would they make cheats so the player can do with in an hour of buying and leave the game without the pleasure of knowing that they have completed a game using decent honest methods.
What do you think, should cheats be an every day part of gaming or should they be left to the under-handed and dirty?
Mon 08/10/01 at 11:25
It depends, in my opinion you don't win if you use cheats. But others would disagree. Games are a personal challenge, its up to the individual how they play this challenge.

There is no one answer, only opinion.
Mon 08/10/01 at 10:27
Regular
"I confused?"
I'm not saying that cheats should be outlawed but if you pay decent money for a game and complete it using cheats, Have you really won?
Mon 08/10/01 at 10:27
Regular
"I confused?"
I'm not saying that cheats should be outlawed but if you pay decent money for a game and complete using cheats, Have you really won?
Mon 08/10/01 at 10:25
I think cheating in order to finish a game is appauling, I would never do it, I'd rather be stuck for ages. But in the end its up to the individual whether or not he/she wants to cheat themselves out of the experience. Some people get more frustrated having not finished a game than they do cheating themselves out of its experience. Cheats are required by some gamers so I think its good that they're available - because those who don't want to cheat won't cheat and vice versa.

I think the best way I've seen cheats implemented is on "Goldeneye" for the N64. That "rewards" you cheats for succesfully completing a level within a specified time. Once you activate the cheat or cheats you can't progress through the game, you can play levels you've already completed but have infinate ammo or big heads or whatever. This way of "rewarding" cheats is better still because some of them are really hard to get, so for those of us that like a good challenge the life of the single player game is lengthened.
I didn't see the game as complete until I'd got through all the levels on all the skill levels and acquired ALL the cheats.

The whole reason for getting these cheats is to add yet more fun and variation to the multi-player anyway!

THPS2 had a similar system with its cheats "rewarding" you with a new one every time you finish the game with a new character. However, these cheats can be used to further your progress. Again, its up to the individual - "perfect balance" would make the game easier, but if you can get through it without, why use it?
I got 100% with each character without using any cheats and now only use them for a bit of a laugh either on the two player mode or on free skate.
Mon 08/10/01 at 10:25
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Your title makes cheats sound like a drug! :) anyway, I think cheats are useful, I find that cheats that you work for are rewarding but also fun, but if you can't complete the levels to get the cheats it's hard.
RPGs and FPSs are the exception to this rule, on RPGS there are always mini games you can play to test your skills and to make you better at the game, this makes you more confident then you have more time to look for the hidden puzzels and stuff. FPSs are easy because you have all the time in the world to go back a level or two and get your accuracy up get more confidence and so on, there aren't many other games that don't need cheats to complete the game, people just find them as a little vaction from the game, if something too hard you put a cheat on, it won't hurt anyone. I remeber Doom, it took me ages to get to the final level, but there was no possible way of killing the final boss, so I cheated on my 500th go and completed the game, I was still happy that i'd completed the game, it was hardly breaking my bank account + now I play it online and it's still fun to play :)

the people who cheat because they're bored are wise, cheats add an intrest to a once boring game, or if your stuck, most people will just cheat a bit then switch it off :)
Mon 08/10/01 at 09:49
Regular
"I confused?"
I'm sure I'm right in saying that most gamers have cheated at one stage of their console playing. But why do we and the game maker do it?
I for one, feel that there is not much more of a better feeling of a game completed with out cheating but that isn't always possible as sometimes you either can't do them because you are having your head blown off or you can't solve the puzzles.
But if the game producers want us to admire there gaming ablity and graphic designs why would they make cheats so the player can do with in an hour of buying and leave the game without the pleasure of knowing that they have completed a game using decent honest methods.
What do you think, should cheats be an every day part of gaming or should they be left to the under-handed and dirty?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.