GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"England ready for 2002?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/10/01 at 18:20
Regular
OK After the England Greece match we are all a little excited.

But now SOME of us have recovered....... There are certain mixed feelings among everyone.

England are into the World Cup 2002 but are we ready for it?

A 2-2 draw with Greece isnít an amazing result but it was all we needed. People may suddenly knock England saying that this means theyíre going to lose against bigger teams, but if you remember weíve beaten bigger teams. Germany 5-1, Spain 3-0........ You canít get much bigger than those teams!

Looking at the game yesterday and a few of their past games the defense look very unstable at the back. Admittedly Sol Campbel will be back into action soon, but even he seems to make a lot of mistakes, a very overrated player indeed. As for the Neville brothers! :-)

Everyone seems to be talking about the youth of the current England side and how they are going to kick some serious as$! But is the lack of experience through the team going to be a hindrance?

Gerrard is quality and can score from just about anywhere, Owen is on Fire, Heskey is starting to use his strength and power more, Ashley Cole is having an amazing year for Arsenal and England. These are 4 of our main youth players at the moment, thatís if you donít count Scholes, Beckham, Campbell and Barmby, because they are now apparently veterans in the game! :-)

They all need International experience, so I suppose now is a good time to put them into the team, and they seem to be paying off to an extent. But we must all remember that weíve only qualified for the World Cup, not won it!

If Sven keeps the team the same, so that they can learn to play with each other I am all for the youth side of the team, because in 2 or 3 years we will probably be one of the best teams in the game.

But 2002......... Surely thatís too early to be expecting great things from the side?

The media obviously donít think this way. One defeat and theyíll be on his back straight away. If he doesnít qualify from the first phase of the World Cup Sven will lose the mediaís support, which in effect usually leads to a sacking. They did this to Keegan, and managed to force Hoddle out as well.

My opinion is that we need to keep the Manager the same along with the squad so that they feel although they are a team rather than a...... erm....... bunch of monkeys!

This is why I think Brazil and other quality sides do it. They get a manager. Keep the Manager. Manager chooses squad. Manager doesnít change squad. Squad improves. Squad wins. S-I-M-P-L-E..... I think!

The good thing is the fact we are seeded due to us COMING TOP OF THE GROUP!! This means we SHOULD get an easier group in the World Cup, but as usual I somewhat doubt this!

So come on everyone...... Sing along!

ìSven, Sven Sven Goran Eriksson.
He's a lovely geezer, but don't forget that he's from Swe-den.î
Thu 11/10/01 at 20:09
Regular
Have u even seen Argentina play recently? in world cup 98 argentina were a pritty average team. But at the moment they are playing the best football in the world no doubt. THey have already won the south american world cup qualifying group whilst only losing one game, and that was against Brazil.

Argentina have got to be one of the favourites to win the competition.
Thu 11/10/01 at 19:57
Regular
"Better Than You"
Whys everyone so bothered about Argentina. Because they beat us in the 98 world cup, SO! We would probably beat them now.
Thu 11/10/01 at 19:55
Regular
"Better Than You"
I think England will do better in the World Cup than they did in 98, because we've got more quality players than before. Also I don't think Brazil will do that well.
Thu 11/10/01 at 19:48
Regular
"Better Than You"
Who do you think England will get in their group.
I think we'll get someone like Iran, then some a little harder like Mexico, then the hardest out them all Spain.
Thu 11/10/01 at 01:30
Regular
They (Brazil) had the same kind of problems qualifying for the last world cup too, but they seem to step up when it matters.
(Would a LA Lakers analogy be any good here? - average regular season, take the playoffs losing one game in the whole thing, setting an nba record)
Thu 11/10/01 at 00:07
Regular
most probably, but they are not the same team anymore. Maybe if they can get Ronaldo back to his prime, then they will play better.
Wed 10/10/01 at 20:08
Brazil will be there, I have no doubts.
Tue 09/10/01 at 22:36
Regular
etila wrote:
> we won't win it unless argentina and france die in a plane crash!

BTW has
> Brazil Qualified?!?

Brazil are in danger of not qualifying if they lose their next two matches. They have had a very poor showing in thier games...at the moment they are lying in fourth place and should qualify with two good results. BUt if they fail, they will have a dodgy qualifier against Australia!
Tue 09/10/01 at 20:05
Regular
no10 wrote:

Richard Wright
Sol Campbell
Wes Brown
Rio Ferdinand
Ashley Cole
Steven Gerrard
David Beckham
Joe Cole
Paul Scholes
Alan Smith / Jermain Defoe
Michael Owen

---

I agree with most of your selection, come 2006 most of the 30 year olds of today will be retired or playing for a team like Halifax! (No offence to Hlifax supporters!)

Id probably swap Wes Brown for Ledley King (me being a spurs supporter) and Michael Carrick might be in the midfield somewhere.

I hope Alan Smith will be up there with Owen, as im not a great fan of Heskey. Jermain Defoe is quality for Under 21's but I cant see him in the 2006 squad.

Also the young Leeds keeper, Paul Robinson will be in the squad, probably sub keeper, If Seaman finally realises he's too old for football! :-D
Tue 09/10/01 at 19:49
Regular
"smile, it's free"
2006? I think David Seaman will most likely still insist he feels he can play at the top level...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.