GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Forever!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/10/01 at 15:54
Regular
It always annoys me when I am talking about my PlayStation 2, and then somebody interferes saying bluntly that they're complete crap. Not only is this far from the truth, but it is also unjust to the PS2. It is still only a baby in terms of console life. Look at the PSone, when it first came out most of the game on it were below standard, despite the fact that they were cutting edge technology wise. And then look at the games on it now, such as Final Fantasy 9. The console has matured into one sweet machine, and it's no surprise that millions of people around the world have one. And it's only just now showing signs of dying down. After one hell of a long inning.

The PS2 can only get better. It is telling exactly the same story as the PSone, in that most of it's games at the moment could be a lot better, even though they are at the pinnacle of gaming- "cough cough Ridge Racer". It will take time for developers to get to know the intricacies of Sony's latest baby, and when they finally unleash some of the PS2's real power, the results will be oh so sweet. And the good news is that it doesn't seem to be too far away on the horizon. Because thanks to Hideo Kojima, the PS2 is going to make a name for it's self even more so, when Metal Gear Solid 2: Son's of Liberty is released sometime next year.

I believe that only when MGS2 is released will we have a good idea of what the PS2 is capable of. And thank god it looks good already. Because in my opinion, if MGS2 was to flop, then it could spell an early demise for the PS2. MGS is probably the best game on the PlayStation, apart from possibly the Final Fantasy series, and look what it did to that. What I am trying to say is that because of the huge hype behind Konami's master piece, failure could be disastrous. But like I said, that is very unlikely, and in fact, MGS2 is going to make the PS2 BIG. It will be the first big selling game for the PS2, and will probably increase sales 10 fold. By then anybody will be able to buy the console, and with such games on the horizon, the future is looking very good for the little "black box".

This time that the PS2 has now is very important. Because aside from the now all-but-dead Dreamcast, there is no competition apart from possibly the Game Boy Advance (which shouldn't really count as it's not really a console). Sony have the next generation console market to themselves, and they MUST make the best of it. Because otherwise they could lose their head start to X-Box and Nintendo. It's not very likely to be honest, but more surprising things have happened in the past (West Ham beating Man Utd at Old Trafford). It is imperative to bring out the big games sooner rather than later, because if they wait too long, then the impatient people may just switch to the cheaper Game Cube, or the more powerful X-Box. I have no doubt that it will be a tough period for PS2 next year, especially at Christmas, but I believe in them, and hope that they pull through. The console hasn't been so intense since the days of the SNES and Megadrive, but next year when all three machines are out of the starting blocks, the best one will prevail. And I think that Christmas 2002 will show us who the winner is.

By then, the experience developers will have with the PS2 should be at a great level. It would have been two years since the machine was released, and just thinking about the games that will be out by then just makes me wish we were there now. Graphics will be second to none, game play will be top notch, and the only thing I can see holding back all the consoles is the fact that they might just release sequel after sequel. But thankfully, I don't think this will be the case, and new games will come out with all kinds of new innovative ideas.

So all I can say to those people who diss the PS2, "Why don't you play it properly? Get a good game (ISS, TimeSplitters, GT3) and PLAY it. You will be amazed. And then just wait a little while longer and you will TRULY be amazed."

The third place is nearing closer as I am writing this, and despite the competition, I can honestly say that now is a great time to be a games fan.
Sun 07/10/01 at 15:54
It always annoys me when I am talking about my PlayStation 2, and then somebody interferes saying bluntly that they're complete crap. Not only is this far from the truth, but it is also unjust to the PS2. It is still only a baby in terms of console life. Look at the PSone, when it first came out most of the game on it were below standard, despite the fact that they were cutting edge technology wise. And then look at the games on it now, such as Final Fantasy 9. The console has matured into one sweet machine, and it's no surprise that millions of people around the world have one. And it's only just now showing signs of dying down. After one hell of a long inning.

The PS2 can only get better. It is telling exactly the same story as the PSone, in that most of it's games at the moment could be a lot better, even though they are at the pinnacle of gaming- "cough cough Ridge Racer". It will take time for developers to get to know the intricacies of Sony's latest baby, and when they finally unleash some of the PS2's real power, the results will be oh so sweet. And the good news is that it doesn't seem to be too far away on the horizon. Because thanks to Hideo Kojima, the PS2 is going to make a name for it's self even more so, when Metal Gear Solid 2: Son's of Liberty is released sometime next year.

I believe that only when MGS2 is released will we have a good idea of what the PS2 is capable of. And thank god it looks good already. Because in my opinion, if MGS2 was to flop, then it could spell an early demise for the PS2. MGS is probably the best game on the PlayStation, apart from possibly the Final Fantasy series, and look what it did to that. What I am trying to say is that because of the huge hype behind Konami's master piece, failure could be disastrous. But like I said, that is very unlikely, and in fact, MGS2 is going to make the PS2 BIG. It will be the first big selling game for the PS2, and will probably increase sales 10 fold. By then anybody will be able to buy the console, and with such games on the horizon, the future is looking very good for the little "black box".

This time that the PS2 has now is very important. Because aside from the now all-but-dead Dreamcast, there is no competition apart from possibly the Game Boy Advance (which shouldn't really count as it's not really a console). Sony have the next generation console market to themselves, and they MUST make the best of it. Because otherwise they could lose their head start to X-Box and Nintendo. It's not very likely to be honest, but more surprising things have happened in the past (West Ham beating Man Utd at Old Trafford). It is imperative to bring out the big games sooner rather than later, because if they wait too long, then the impatient people may just switch to the cheaper Game Cube, or the more powerful X-Box. I have no doubt that it will be a tough period for PS2 next year, especially at Christmas, but I believe in them, and hope that they pull through. The console hasn't been so intense since the days of the SNES and Megadrive, but next year when all three machines are out of the starting blocks, the best one will prevail. And I think that Christmas 2002 will show us who the winner is.

By then, the experience developers will have with the PS2 should be at a great level. It would have been two years since the machine was released, and just thinking about the games that will be out by then just makes me wish we were there now. Graphics will be second to none, game play will be top notch, and the only thing I can see holding back all the consoles is the fact that they might just release sequel after sequel. But thankfully, I don't think this will be the case, and new games will come out with all kinds of new innovative ideas.

So all I can say to those people who diss the PS2, "Why don't you play it properly? Get a good game (ISS, TimeSplitters, GT3) and PLAY it. You will be amazed. And then just wait a little while longer and you will TRULY be amazed."

The third place is nearing closer as I am writing this, and despite the competition, I can honestly say that now is a great time to be a games fan.
Sun 07/10/01 at 16:01
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Lovely post, and I agree with you on all but the PS2 is a baby bit. It has been out for nearly a year now and it is also Sony's second console. I see what you mean though- it will get better as the years go by.
Sun 07/10/01 at 16:02
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I suppose if im being truly honest i would say the PS2 has not had as much of a ground braking year as i would have liked. There are some good titles out at the moment but none really truly groung breaking.

However, that is all about to change, just look what the months coming to christmas are bringing, Pro Evo, Smackdown 3, SSX tricky to name a few. But thats not going to end there, next year will see the release of MGS2, Silent Hill 2, Final Fantasy 10. Then there are many games coming over from DC, 18 Wheeler is just one example.

This really is the time to be a PS2 owner.
Sun 07/10/01 at 17:22
Regular
yeh the PS2 has got through its teething stages and now is bringing out AAA titles
Sun 07/10/01 at 17:25
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Does any one know if House Of The Dead is coming out on the PS2
Sun 07/10/01 at 17:28
Well, the PS2 was released in Japan in March 2000. Developers had the kits 9 months before that.

Which means that the games emerging should be pretty stunning... esp as we're coming up to Xmas- the biggest selling time.
Sun 07/10/01 at 17:32
Regular
dunno when house of the dead comes out but resi gun survivor is the only resi game left for PS2
Sun 07/10/01 at 20:56
Regular
Kid Rock wrote:
> dunno when house of the dead comes out but resi gun survivor is the only resi
> game left for PS2

Is it though, i would say PS owners are the biggest fans, and a lot of us are disapointed its gone to GC. There will be alot of money lost because of this and i can see we getting more in the future.
Sun 07/10/01 at 22:33
Regular
"You Bum!!"
I am sure we will see more Resi games someday on PS2 *sigh*
Sun 07/10/01 at 22:36
Regular
Yeah, if not i will just go buy a GC. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.