GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/10/01 at 15:07
Regular
A Look at Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet

When I first realised that Dinosaur Planet was being reworked as a Starfox Gamecube title, I wasn't too sure what the outcome would be. On one hand, we have the Rare magic that brought us almost all of the best games on the N64, on the other hand, we have a good, but samey flying game that almost all developers going could code. The best part came when I realised what the merger would mean: A fully fledged 3D adventure, with Zelda-quality gameplay, amazing graphics, and a graphically up-dated take on the Arwing levels from Lylat Wars!

"Oh Joy!" I thought.

And with good reason... basically the game is about dinosaurs... General Scales, the Vinnie Jones of the dinosaur world, is running amok on a planet full of dinosaurs... good ones... the name of the planet, as far as Iím aware, is actually called Dinosaur Planet, although there was earlier speculation that it may have been named after one of the planets named in the original Starwing manual (SNES).

The worlds are lush and dÈcor is plentiful... there is a day and night system worked into the game, very Zelda-like. Also, speaking of Zelda, Rare have used a Z-Targeting mode for attack and discovery (or examination). I think this is a good idea... there's no reason why Rare shouldn't!

The characters, which were Sabre, Krystal and Tricky have now changed to the Starfox team, with the exception of Falco. (The best, in my opinion!) He was 'last seen pursuing a solo career'. This isn't a bad move, more fitting really... it also allows for more ideas to be incorporated into the gameplay. You'll get tech-support from Slippy, supplies from ROB and old-timer advice from Peppy. The good news is that Krystal is still onboard HMS Starfox. Her role may have changed, but still itís a very promising thing that Rare have kept a lot of the Dinosaur Planet material in the game! The Krazoa, an ancient force on Dinosaur Planet, has captured Krystal. Rescuing her could prove rewarding, especially if she gives you free stuff. I donít knowÖ maybe some popcorn, if youíre lucky.

As you may have seen from the videos in the Internet, the bosses are brilliant! They donít just look good, but there is a lot of puzzle solving involved in defeating them. They range in size, difficulty and intelligence! Like the people on the forumsÖ but I wonít name names. :D

One thing about the game I find interesting is the simplicity of it! It may look complicated, but really, with there being just one action button (A), one cancel button (B) and 3 view buttons (X, Y and Z), the controls arenít too complexÖ but this isnít to say theyíre not revolutionaryÖ the C-Stick gives you the choice of Attacks, Items and Talking to Tricky.

As a quick run down, hereís what the buttons do. ëAí is the primary action button, and it will do whatever it assigned to it by the gamers using the C-Stick. It also acts as a selection button in the menus. ëBí is a cancelling button primarily used for cancelling attacks and what have you ñ also used in menus. The ëZí Button is a Head camÖ used, as one might assume, for looking over cliffs of round cornersÖ (MGS2 style? Would be funny! :D) If I remember correctly the ëXí button is for Camera ControlÖ everyone has preferences, and Rare has taken them into account. If you choose the positioning of your camera, the last thing you want to happen is for it to revert back to the old angle. This is where the ëYí button comes inÖ ëYí acts as a Camera lockÖ locking you custom camera positioning where it is! ñ Fancy, Eh! And to think these Rare lot come from Twycross! AnywayÖ the Main Analogue Controller is for Menu exploration out of game, and moving Fox around in the game. It is also used to selecting stuff, like spells and also aiming for taking out enemies, Sniper style! The D-Pad is used for zooming in and out of the planet maps that Fox looks at. Start is for pause, and L and R arenít used at all ñ Shame really, Rare could have used those triggers really wellÖ but if theyíre not needed, so be it!

In case you didnít get that:

Button Layout:
L - N/A
R - N/A
Z - Head Cam
X - Camera Control
Y - Lock Camera
A - All actions
B - Cancel All
C Stick - Weapon, Sidekick Menus, Rotate Map
Control Stick - Move Character, Aim, Select Level!
D Pad - Zoom in/out on planet map
Start - Pause

(Quite innovative, isnít it! I canít wait to play it!)

The staff that Fox acquires during his travels looks great. It seems to be multi-purpose, for firing stuff and making spells, itís also used for prying rocks away from places and as a standing pole-vault type contraption that slings Fox into the air and onto ledges from special launching holes. It also looks cool, and knowing rare, there should be a lot more too it than that! The staff also morphs Fox into one of the surrounding creatures. He will be able to roam amongst the locals and natives, and even become a member of the Scales Army and purposely be the weak link in the attack on civilian areas! Fox is a sly fox!

Tricky, the triceratops, mentioned earlier in the post, is Foxís aide or sidekick, whether he likes it or notÖ but he does come in handy. Heís there to distract enemies and get stuffÖ and if Fox is that bored, or he has to wait by the stream until night time to implement his sting operation, he can play fetch with tricky!

Most sites say that the game is a joint development with Rare and Nintendo. I donít quite know whether Nintendoís involvement stops at the loan of the characters, but I would imagine so. Nintendo actually own Rare so they may have had quite a useful hand with regard to the direction of the game, and what the storyline would be needed to keep the franchise open for a sequel or to close it off.

All in all, the whole game looks great, and I have only really scratched the surface of what itís about. Nintendo say that ëWeí the gamers and the gaming press havenít witnessed half of what the game has to offer, which can only be a good thing!

I really think that this game will fly straight to the top of the Gamecube and even software charts in America and the UK when itís releasedÖ Japan too. If you look at it, it is the size of Zelda OOT 4 fold, graphics that surpass anything to date on a console (Watch the Rare SW2001 video!) And still, it isnít finished! This game should definitely be on everyoneís Christmas list, even if you own a PS2!

Anyone have any thoughts on the game?

Thanks for reading anyway!

Game
Sun 07/10/01 at 15:07
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
A Look at Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet

When I first realised that Dinosaur Planet was being reworked as a Starfox Gamecube title, I wasn't too sure what the outcome would be. On one hand, we have the Rare magic that brought us almost all of the best games on the N64, on the other hand, we have a good, but samey flying game that almost all developers going could code. The best part came when I realised what the merger would mean: A fully fledged 3D adventure, with Zelda-quality gameplay, amazing graphics, and a graphically up-dated take on the Arwing levels from Lylat Wars!

"Oh Joy!" I thought.

And with good reason... basically the game is about dinosaurs... General Scales, the Vinnie Jones of the dinosaur world, is running amok on a planet full of dinosaurs... good ones... the name of the planet, as far as Iím aware, is actually called Dinosaur Planet, although there was earlier speculation that it may have been named after one of the planets named in the original Starwing manual (SNES).

The worlds are lush and dÈcor is plentiful... there is a day and night system worked into the game, very Zelda-like. Also, speaking of Zelda, Rare have used a Z-Targeting mode for attack and discovery (or examination). I think this is a good idea... there's no reason why Rare shouldn't!

The characters, which were Sabre, Krystal and Tricky have now changed to the Starfox team, with the exception of Falco. (The best, in my opinion!) He was 'last seen pursuing a solo career'. This isn't a bad move, more fitting really... it also allows for more ideas to be incorporated into the gameplay. You'll get tech-support from Slippy, supplies from ROB and old-timer advice from Peppy. The good news is that Krystal is still onboard HMS Starfox. Her role may have changed, but still itís a very promising thing that Rare have kept a lot of the Dinosaur Planet material in the game! The Krazoa, an ancient force on Dinosaur Planet, has captured Krystal. Rescuing her could prove rewarding, especially if she gives you free stuff. I donít knowÖ maybe some popcorn, if youíre lucky.

As you may have seen from the videos in the Internet, the bosses are brilliant! They donít just look good, but there is a lot of puzzle solving involved in defeating them. They range in size, difficulty and intelligence! Like the people on the forumsÖ but I wonít name names. :D

One thing about the game I find interesting is the simplicity of it! It may look complicated, but really, with there being just one action button (A), one cancel button (B) and 3 view buttons (X, Y and Z), the controls arenít too complexÖ but this isnít to say theyíre not revolutionaryÖ the C-Stick gives you the choice of Attacks, Items and Talking to Tricky.

As a quick run down, hereís what the buttons do. ëAí is the primary action button, and it will do whatever it assigned to it by the gamers using the C-Stick. It also acts as a selection button in the menus. ëBí is a cancelling button primarily used for cancelling attacks and what have you ñ also used in menus. The ëZí Button is a Head camÖ used, as one might assume, for looking over cliffs of round cornersÖ (MGS2 style? Would be funny! :D) If I remember correctly the ëXí button is for Camera ControlÖ everyone has preferences, and Rare has taken them into account. If you choose the positioning of your camera, the last thing you want to happen is for it to revert back to the old angle. This is where the ëYí button comes inÖ ëYí acts as a Camera lockÖ locking you custom camera positioning where it is! ñ Fancy, Eh! And to think these Rare lot come from Twycross! AnywayÖ the Main Analogue Controller is for Menu exploration out of game, and moving Fox around in the game. It is also used to selecting stuff, like spells and also aiming for taking out enemies, Sniper style! The D-Pad is used for zooming in and out of the planet maps that Fox looks at. Start is for pause, and L and R arenít used at all ñ Shame really, Rare could have used those triggers really wellÖ but if theyíre not needed, so be it!

In case you didnít get that:

Button Layout:
L - N/A
R - N/A
Z - Head Cam
X - Camera Control
Y - Lock Camera
A - All actions
B - Cancel All
C Stick - Weapon, Sidekick Menus, Rotate Map
Control Stick - Move Character, Aim, Select Level!
D Pad - Zoom in/out on planet map
Start - Pause

(Quite innovative, isnít it! I canít wait to play it!)

The staff that Fox acquires during his travels looks great. It seems to be multi-purpose, for firing stuff and making spells, itís also used for prying rocks away from places and as a standing pole-vault type contraption that slings Fox into the air and onto ledges from special launching holes. It also looks cool, and knowing rare, there should be a lot more too it than that! The staff also morphs Fox into one of the surrounding creatures. He will be able to roam amongst the locals and natives, and even become a member of the Scales Army and purposely be the weak link in the attack on civilian areas! Fox is a sly fox!

Tricky, the triceratops, mentioned earlier in the post, is Foxís aide or sidekick, whether he likes it or notÖ but he does come in handy. Heís there to distract enemies and get stuffÖ and if Fox is that bored, or he has to wait by the stream until night time to implement his sting operation, he can play fetch with tricky!

Most sites say that the game is a joint development with Rare and Nintendo. I donít quite know whether Nintendoís involvement stops at the loan of the characters, but I would imagine so. Nintendo actually own Rare so they may have had quite a useful hand with regard to the direction of the game, and what the storyline would be needed to keep the franchise open for a sequel or to close it off.

All in all, the whole game looks great, and I have only really scratched the surface of what itís about. Nintendo say that ëWeí the gamers and the gaming press havenít witnessed half of what the game has to offer, which can only be a good thing!

I really think that this game will fly straight to the top of the Gamecube and even software charts in America and the UK when itís releasedÖ Japan too. If you look at it, it is the size of Zelda OOT 4 fold, graphics that surpass anything to date on a console (Watch the Rare SW2001 video!) And still, it isnít finished! This game should definitely be on everyoneís Christmas list, even if you own a PS2!

Anyone have any thoughts on the game?

Thanks for reading anyway!

Game
Sun 07/10/01 at 15:38
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I've been looking forward to this game ever since I saw the first screenshots. It's definitely on my list of must haves for the GC.
Sun 07/10/01 at 15:39
Regular
Oh yeah, I want this.
Sun 07/10/01 at 15:44
Regular
I think Starfox:Dinosaur Planet is going to be one of the best Rpg's the graphics is good and the game play is good.

PS:You can get a Demo of it in the NGC mag. Along with other Demos!
Sun 07/10/01 at 15:49
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
He means video, not demo. Just before anyone gets over-excited.

:)
Sun 07/10/01 at 15:51
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
The video dosent show much tough really, this game is definenly shaping up to be a must have game.

The graphics look good too ;-)
Sun 07/10/01 at 16:56
Regular
"Whatever!"
Ive only seen a brief movie of this game but have read loads about it - It is now my most anticipated GC game!!
It will be an insight to how Rare can get the best out of the Cube!! I cant wait - From what Ive seen it looks like being one of the biggest gaming environments ever and some of the dinosaurs are just bleeding huge!! Should be a cracker!!
Sun 07/10/01 at 17:20
Regular
I'm sorry I said Demo.
Sun 07/10/01 at 19:37
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I choose it as my GAD prize. I hope it's good! :D
Mon 08/10/01 at 16:19
Regular
I think it'll be good despite the only footage I've seen of it being that shoddy E3 video that NGC gave us.

As long as Rare are kind enough to include an Arwing dogfighting multiplayer (the multiplayer which Rogue Leader is sadly lacking) I'll definately get it.

This time with all sorts of extra's like AI bots and more exciting arenas...

And RPG and Spaceship game in one sounds good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.