GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can We Really Be Affected?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/10/01 at 19:09
Regular
After just reading the title you have probally ignored this topic or know already what it is about and I don't apologise for it, but should the game companies apologise?

When your just a little youngster you look at the certificates on games and if the age certificate number has a dark red colour around it, hence 15 or 18, then that automatically means it has to be a good game. But then as you grow older just as your taste changes for the like of beer and women so does your taste change towards gaming.

You start to notice the amazing possibilities that become availible to you and then you really start to live. There are many games that have changed the next generation for us and that will change the way that we play on these games. Some for the best, others apparently not. There are many good examples of how one game, one idea, one persons views have changed EVERYTHING.

Back a long long long long time ago before we expected so much more from games and every person carried a mobile phone around in there pocket, gaming was just taking off on consoles. Think about how it all started off, games that were made years ago have been updated with the new abilities of technology and some imagination then they are released. Take Mario and Sonic for example, if you ask anyone to name something to represent the Ninetendo they'd say Mario, Sega would be Sonic. And this is by no mistake.

Friendly characters that are known for it, the perfect idol really for your console to be remembered by, someone/thing that has never commited any kind of offense in it's life and is there to do what they do best, save the world. Just think how many different games have been released now that concern something to do with Mario, even just recently the new GBA took advantage of this and it's a good way of boosting sales.

Then there are the games that have been brought foward from the late 80s or early 90s. The Metal Gears that back then were the best things that we've ever come across to now what we'd only see in the joke corner of a gaming console. We've come to expect more, we now get more and we like more.

But what is the affect of this 'Having More' ? Of course it I suppose could be making us greedy for one, and then there is the problems of realism. Good old realism that is there to make the games better are now making a difference. I read recently that people have been affected due to the content of computer games. Now I've heard this all before from films which is in a more realistic content but gaming seems to come across as something new and prehaps a little weird.

The power that a game can have on the mind seems something that I woudn't normally even think about when perchusing a game, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. The companies are catching up though and on most games that contain a load of gore and limbs flying in all directions have no the option to turn this off and keep everything down for the viewing of children.

There are certain games that this will apply to and prehaps it isn't needed in much of them. Soldier of Fortune I felt was totally exagerrated and therefore prehaps over the top even though they did include the options to turn the gore off. Does this make people more intrested in a game knowing it is more gory and prehaps making them think it's more realistic? I don't really know the case, we're all human beings and all individuals and can make up our own minds about this.

Do the gaming certificates make a difference any longer? Will this new form of gaming violence go furthur and bring new laws and regulations to gaming? And if so what will be the result of it? Maybe jumping the gun a little bit and looking that bit too much into it but prehaps this isn't too far away when age restrictions will begin to be taking seriously.

But my question for you to comment on is will this be the start of more to come and will it therefore restrict companies in there conquest of the gaming industry? All sensible comments will be highly appreciated.

Mr Nice Guy
Mon 08/10/01 at 10:07
Regular
"I confused?"
I don't agree with game with restrictions on peoples gaming I think that if the kids want to buy games it is up to their parents to let them buy the wright ones and not put restrictions on older gamers just to protect the little ones.
Mon 08/10/01 at 10:02
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I think my taste for game Genres has changed alot in the last few years, I remeber when all I played was Goldeneye Turok and Duke Nukem, anything with blood was a good game, now I play Mario Kart, and other 'childish' games, but they're more fun and have great gameplay i've found that shooting someone isn't always the best way to beat the competition.

Also, certs are used and have a great effect! if you moved a movio like terminator 2 down to a 15 then more kids around 10 yrs old will watch it, i'll explain.
The people that watch and play 18 cert games and movies start around 13/14 this is because they want the blood and gore, and they can hadle it, they usually go for the films will more blood than a storyline so it's not always a bad thing, they can accept it's a film and leave it there.

If you move the cert down, the films going to stay as blood thirsty as ever but it's going to be avaliable to a younger audience, therefore leaving lots of innocent children open to these horrific sceens. It's the same for alcohol, you don't normally wait until your 18 to go down to a pub or club and have your first drink, no doubt many of you will already know what it feels like drinking cider in a empty field :) it's still alcohol, not many people drink it in clubs and pubs.

I know that lots of people younger than 18 get into clubs and pubs and get served drinks, it's illegal but so what? infact that probably adds to the fun of doing it.
Sun 07/10/01 at 20:08
Regular
"Wasting away"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> POP POP POP POP POP CORN

I think POP POP POP POP POP POP CORN is way nicer.
Sun 07/10/01 at 01:23
Regular
POP POP POP POP POP CORN
Sat 06/10/01 at 23:47
Regular
"Wasting away"
4ever wrote:
> Does it ever seem as though games have TATALLY unfair ratings? ....[ thps211+
> cough-cough-wink-wink]...

You what? TATALLY unfair? Excuse me but I just don't follow apart from that well your other comment was ummmm......
Sat 06/10/01 at 21:48
Does it ever seem as though games have TATALLY unfair ratings? ....[ thps211+ cough-cough-wink-wink]...
Sat 06/10/01 at 21:43
I supposse that it is quite important that games have certificates, but then again that leaves many excellent games stuck on the shelves. I have been a victim for that and it took me 3 months to turn my mum into letteing me buy PD but then again i wouldnt like my son/daughter playing PD when they are 6 so.... i dunno are they dark or be they good?
Sat 06/10/01 at 20:46
"period drama"
i think C&C red alert was a 15 or 18.
little men turning into pizza isn't really scary.
but, i suposse it is about war.
a totally unrealistic war.
with things that would never happen.
and quite funny when you electrocute the men with tesla-coils.
Sat 06/10/01 at 20:40
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Its a real shame that we do have these certificates though, as in some games we loose a little of it as the company who decides them here in the UK (elpsa isnt it) thinks its not fit for our eyes.

But is that not up to us to decide, and suffer the consequnces or be gratefull for the pleasure.
Sat 06/10/01 at 20:35
I am not to bothered about certificate games. If there is a high quality game like Perfect Dark or any other 18 rated game, then I will get my dad to go into the shop and buy it but I end up giving him the money.

It would be a shame in someways for the certificates to be taken seriously because the majority of gaming companies comes from the under 18's, so it's a dillema!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.