GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Pro Evolution Soccer 2010"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pro Evolution Soccer 2010'.
Tue 04/05/10 at 23:38
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 Review

This game review is based on the Playstation 3 version

Pre-Match Buildup

Starting off as the International Superstar Soccer series, Konami’s entry into the soccer stadia didn’t really kick off fully until the change to Pro Evolution Soccer on Playstation 2, where it quickly became the undisputed king of football games. However, the switch to the next generation of consoles hasn’t treated the series very well, and, coupled with a huge increase in the quality of EA’s FIFA franchise, has had to take a back seat for the last couple of years. So, is this the year for PES to reclaim it’s throne?

Kick-Off

But before I start the whole PES – FIFA comparison thing that’s almost required in any football game review nowadays, let’s look at the game on it’s own merits. Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 sees the introduction of the 360 degrees of freedom for moving and dribbling. And it does work fairly well when moving slowly, but it’s definitely not as pronounced as I would have expected it to be. To be quite honest, it just feels like Konami have added a few more pathways for players to run in and called it “360 degrees of freedom”. Interestingly, even when using the d-pad’s directional buttons for player movement (my own personal way of playing), the game interprets timings of movements and applies the 360 degrees of freedom principle to them.

Other than this addition and a couple of small tweaks, gameplay is pretty much same old Pro Evolution Soccer gameplay from back in 2009. However, these tweaks do make a massive difference to the game, and are deceptively large improvements, so much so that going back to Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 is actually rather difficult, despite the fact that the games seem pretty much the same. So, the game engine plays rather “woodenly” which can result in rather annoying gameplay overall, however, flashes of brilliance serve as a reminder to the glory days of old.

Dodgy goalkeeping AI is back, with saves tending to bounce off the goalkeepers in a manner that would not expect, but it is certainly improved upon the disastrous goalkeeping from the two previous games. (As an aside, I don’t think I’ve seen particularly idiotic goalkeeping to the degrees of what I’ve seen on my recent FIFA10 games, either.)

Beautiful finish?

Graphically, the game is generally nicer looking than PES 2009, with textures and players looking more realistic. However, despite this movement in a positive direction, again the improvements pale in comparison to what this generation of consoles is capable of. Now, with football games, it’s not exactly fair to be expecting Uncharted 2 or similar style graphics, but PES10 in most parts seems like a really good previous-generation game. So, not absolutely awful, but there is definitely room for improvement for the next edition.

"He has unrivalled stamina"

Commentary this year is again provided by Jon Champion and Mark Lawrenson , and, even though this is a relatively new pairing in comparison to most other running commentary partnerships in games, the duo’s lines are beginning to run a little thin. This section of the game could have done with a little extra polish or effort, as during not even extended sessions of play the player can be bombarded by the same phrase over and over again. Hell, I think there might only be one commentary reaction for winning a trophy, and that’s just poor.

The Champion

The UEFA Champions League returns to PES again this year, which adds a touch of authenticity to the PES package. A very nice and almost surprising addition to last year’s game, PES2010 doesn’t really bring much to the table in terms of actual changes to the Champions League modes, keeping it simplistic (however, that’s not always a bad thing).

The Champions League experience is slightly marred by the fact that the licenses for all the teams aren’t all included, albeit this is more the fault of EA than Konami (English Premier League licensing agreements only allowing any game, other than the FIFA series, obviously, to license a maximum of 2 Premier League sides for any one edition.). Obviously, seeing Barcelona vs. North London in the Champions League is a mark against the authenticity, and can be an immersion killer for some players.

Legendary

Become a Legend also returns to this iteration. In this mode you take control of a bright young footballing talent and attempt to raise them up to be one of the world’s leading players. An interesting game mode which is fun to play in bursts, but over long periods can get extremely tedious and boring, especially in the opening years when the stats are low. Stats seem to level up faster than they did in PES09, but the ability to maybe play as an already developed and well known player may appeal to those of us that prefer to play without being bogged down in huge RPG style level grinding.

A masterstroke?

A staple of the PES series, Master League is again included and improved in this year’s edition. With the opportunity to take a familiar team (or less familiar teams PES United and WE United) through the trials and tribulations that face football clubs through a full season. With injuries, suspensions, fatigue, training and player happiness to juggle, it’s up to you to ensure financial security and living up to the fans expectations. Fatigue has been toned down slightly this year, so that team rotation isn’t absolutely necessary as it was during the Master League of PES2009.

Tactical changes

Another major feature of the Pro Evolution Soccer series has been it’s Edit function. This long-standing feature allows the player to customize teams and the like to enhance their playing experience. The mode allows you to “correct” the names of the unlicensed teams, change players stats at will, and also create an extra 18 teams (replacing Team A to Team R) to enjoy using on the pitch, as well as more basic stuff like team squads and tactics. Although limited slightly, this edit mode allows the patient to be able to play with the game to make their experience more satisfying or giving it a more realistic feel.

...And he's been sent off!

Now, it’s time to discuss my major gripe with the game overall, and it’s a terribly annoying one that should have been fixed by a team that has developed some of the best football games of the previous generation , and their third iteration on current generation (fourth for 360), and that’s game freezing. Freezing in games is irritating at the best of times. But the freezing that can occur in PES is infuriating if not almost consistent. Freezes occur when playing in certain stadiums, especially, but not limited to, when playing them as the first game. Konami Stadium is one of these offending stadia. Being forced to restart the game due to a freeze in the cutscenes before the first game is annoying,. The fact that the issue hasn’t been fully fixed by a patch is nearly baffling.

Post-Match Analysis

So returning to the question, is this Pro Evolution Soccer’s year? In short, no. Despite making improvements over last years game, and the series is heading in the right direction, FIFA10’s improvements over FIFA09 are just that much better. And in my personal opinion, it’ll take a lot of work on the part of the PES team, or a huge mistake on the part of the FIFA team for PES to take the footy king’s throne back next year.

Overall: 7.6/10
Wed 05/05/10 at 17:18
Regular
"How Ironic"
There wasn't much to distinguish any of the FIFA games on the second gen consoles really. They pretty much racked out the same game with different names/new kits etc. Have never like Pro Evo though. I really can't stand the graphics of PES, FIFA isn't too much better though (talking 3rd gen versions now). The upperhand of FIFA now, is as you say, the superb physics/gameplay engine.
Wed 05/05/10 at 09:34
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Well, I used to think that. I've played FIFA since 98 GOLD (which I loved) for the Megadrive, and I've played Pro Evolution Soccer since ISS Pro for PS1 (which I loved). Both games are complete legends from my childhood and I love playing them still (I don't think you can beat the commentary from ISS Pro, "That guy has a steel skull" and "Only a miracle can save...Brazil...from a beating at the hands of...Wales" among many, many others.).

FIFA was my main game of choice until PES3 came out, which I felt was much more playable than an extremely lacklustre FIFA04. From PES3 through PES6 (especially PES6 PS2 version, can't speak about the 360 version), imo the relative FIFAs (04-07) were just completely poor in comparison. (of which years I bought both FIFA and PES, however I opted out of buying FIFA07 after the couple of years of disappointment)

Then came the true jump to the next generation. FIFA08 vs. PES08. My honest opinion? Both were absolute rubbish. FIFA09 was almost like a complete rebuild of the FIFA engine, and I approved, but something just wasn't right. I couldn't really put my finger on it, but in vs. CPU games, I just felt as though PES09 was a more satisfying experience.

This year though, the improvements FIFA10 have made over FIFA09 make it an outright winner. Konami's response will be interesting, but as I said in the review, I don't see it making a difference in the outcome, especially as FIFA11 will be an even more polished version of the brilliant engine that WC2010 is using.
Wed 05/05/10 at 07:51
Regular
"How Ironic"
I've never liked Pro Evo, always played FIFA. Pro Evo never seemed up to the same standard, and never will be IMO. To be honest, it's all about the developers for me. Konami vs EA Sports. Not exactly a tough one to call *psst it's the one with 'Sport' in the name ;D
Tue 04/05/10 at 23:38
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 Review

This game review is based on the Playstation 3 version

Pre-Match Buildup

Starting off as the International Superstar Soccer series, Konami’s entry into the soccer stadia didn’t really kick off fully until the change to Pro Evolution Soccer on Playstation 2, where it quickly became the undisputed king of football games. However, the switch to the next generation of consoles hasn’t treated the series very well, and, coupled with a huge increase in the quality of EA’s FIFA franchise, has had to take a back seat for the last couple of years. So, is this the year for PES to reclaim it’s throne?

Kick-Off

But before I start the whole PES – FIFA comparison thing that’s almost required in any football game review nowadays, let’s look at the game on it’s own merits. Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 sees the introduction of the 360 degrees of freedom for moving and dribbling. And it does work fairly well when moving slowly, but it’s definitely not as pronounced as I would have expected it to be. To be quite honest, it just feels like Konami have added a few more pathways for players to run in and called it “360 degrees of freedom”. Interestingly, even when using the d-pad’s directional buttons for player movement (my own personal way of playing), the game interprets timings of movements and applies the 360 degrees of freedom principle to them.

Other than this addition and a couple of small tweaks, gameplay is pretty much same old Pro Evolution Soccer gameplay from back in 2009. However, these tweaks do make a massive difference to the game, and are deceptively large improvements, so much so that going back to Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 is actually rather difficult, despite the fact that the games seem pretty much the same. So, the game engine plays rather “woodenly” which can result in rather annoying gameplay overall, however, flashes of brilliance serve as a reminder to the glory days of old.

Dodgy goalkeeping AI is back, with saves tending to bounce off the goalkeepers in a manner that would not expect, but it is certainly improved upon the disastrous goalkeeping from the two previous games. (As an aside, I don’t think I’ve seen particularly idiotic goalkeeping to the degrees of what I’ve seen on my recent FIFA10 games, either.)

Beautiful finish?

Graphically, the game is generally nicer looking than PES 2009, with textures and players looking more realistic. However, despite this movement in a positive direction, again the improvements pale in comparison to what this generation of consoles is capable of. Now, with football games, it’s not exactly fair to be expecting Uncharted 2 or similar style graphics, but PES10 in most parts seems like a really good previous-generation game. So, not absolutely awful, but there is definitely room for improvement for the next edition.

"He has unrivalled stamina"

Commentary this year is again provided by Jon Champion and Mark Lawrenson , and, even though this is a relatively new pairing in comparison to most other running commentary partnerships in games, the duo’s lines are beginning to run a little thin. This section of the game could have done with a little extra polish or effort, as during not even extended sessions of play the player can be bombarded by the same phrase over and over again. Hell, I think there might only be one commentary reaction for winning a trophy, and that’s just poor.

The Champion

The UEFA Champions League returns to PES again this year, which adds a touch of authenticity to the PES package. A very nice and almost surprising addition to last year’s game, PES2010 doesn’t really bring much to the table in terms of actual changes to the Champions League modes, keeping it simplistic (however, that’s not always a bad thing).

The Champions League experience is slightly marred by the fact that the licenses for all the teams aren’t all included, albeit this is more the fault of EA than Konami (English Premier League licensing agreements only allowing any game, other than the FIFA series, obviously, to license a maximum of 2 Premier League sides for any one edition.). Obviously, seeing Barcelona vs. North London in the Champions League is a mark against the authenticity, and can be an immersion killer for some players.

Legendary

Become a Legend also returns to this iteration. In this mode you take control of a bright young footballing talent and attempt to raise them up to be one of the world’s leading players. An interesting game mode which is fun to play in bursts, but over long periods can get extremely tedious and boring, especially in the opening years when the stats are low. Stats seem to level up faster than they did in PES09, but the ability to maybe play as an already developed and well known player may appeal to those of us that prefer to play without being bogged down in huge RPG style level grinding.

A masterstroke?

A staple of the PES series, Master League is again included and improved in this year’s edition. With the opportunity to take a familiar team (or less familiar teams PES United and WE United) through the trials and tribulations that face football clubs through a full season. With injuries, suspensions, fatigue, training and player happiness to juggle, it’s up to you to ensure financial security and living up to the fans expectations. Fatigue has been toned down slightly this year, so that team rotation isn’t absolutely necessary as it was during the Master League of PES2009.

Tactical changes

Another major feature of the Pro Evolution Soccer series has been it’s Edit function. This long-standing feature allows the player to customize teams and the like to enhance their playing experience. The mode allows you to “correct” the names of the unlicensed teams, change players stats at will, and also create an extra 18 teams (replacing Team A to Team R) to enjoy using on the pitch, as well as more basic stuff like team squads and tactics. Although limited slightly, this edit mode allows the patient to be able to play with the game to make their experience more satisfying or giving it a more realistic feel.

...And he's been sent off!

Now, it’s time to discuss my major gripe with the game overall, and it’s a terribly annoying one that should have been fixed by a team that has developed some of the best football games of the previous generation , and their third iteration on current generation (fourth for 360), and that’s game freezing. Freezing in games is irritating at the best of times. But the freezing that can occur in PES is infuriating if not almost consistent. Freezes occur when playing in certain stadiums, especially, but not limited to, when playing them as the first game. Konami Stadium is one of these offending stadia. Being forced to restart the game due to a freeze in the cutscenes before the first game is annoying,. The fact that the issue hasn’t been fully fixed by a patch is nearly baffling.

Post-Match Analysis

So returning to the question, is this Pro Evolution Soccer’s year? In short, no. Despite making improvements over last years game, and the series is heading in the right direction, FIFA10’s improvements over FIFA09 are just that much better. And in my personal opinion, it’ll take a lot of work on the part of the PES team, or a huge mistake on the part of the FIFA team for PES to take the footy king’s throne back next year.

Overall: 7.6/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.