GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty vs Medal of Honour"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2'.
Mon 03/05/10 at 14:58
Regular
"How Ironic"
Yes, yet another Call of Duty is due for release. Modern Warfare 2 had all the expectation surrounding it, but in the end, it did not pack a big impact in comparison to it’s predecessors like Call of Duty 4. So what can be seen from this typical taster trailer?

Well, the game looks to be a mixture of a variety of time periods, but primarily may be set in Vietnam. Pausing the trailer at different moments, you can spot many helicopters, so Treyarch have moved from World War 2, and because of the many helicopters, reinforces the belief of a Vietnam based game. Like the Modern Warfare 2 trailer, not alot is being released about the game, besides the few gameclips. World at War, the last Treyarch Call of Duty was a mixed bag. Some liked it more than CoD 4, some hated it and remained on CoD 4. Personally, I think it was a good game, but CoD 4 was alot better. Modern Warfare 2 in my opinion is one of the worst FPSs I’ve played, mainly because of the fact that it isn’t an FPS. FPS means First Person Shooter, and this game, although it has aspects of an FPS, is mostly calling in Death Streak rewards. It’s almost a RTS (Real Time Strategy).

Medal of Honour (Honor) has been behind the Call of Duty series for ages now, with the only 360 and PS3 release being Airborne 3 years ago in 2007. The new release, simply called Medal of Honour, is set in Afghanistan. The trailer looks graphically sound, and features all of the nice shots that you get in most games. The last time I was lured in by a trailer was Far Cry 2, and that was a catastrophe. There’s one particular shot of a helicopter in the Medal of Honour trailer that particularly gets my gaming buds drooling, but yet again, a screenshot of a helicopter in Far Cry 2 made me buy it. So I’m unsure about this game to say the least. At the end of the day, you’re buying the game, not the trailer.

Something that interested me was that Medal of Honour is going to be using a heavily modified version of the Unreal Engine 3, which may be familiar from Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War 1 & 2. The key words here are heavily modified, in other words, it’s going to be for better or for worse. What excites me is for the multiplayer, Treyarch are going to be using the Frostbite Engine. Yes, the engine famous for it’s environmental destruction, and in multiplayer aswell. So this could mean a map is different in multiplayer everytime that you play it, and it also means no campers.

I have to say it does feel as though EA are mashing together Battlefield and Medal of Honour to bring down the Call of Duty machine. Battlefield has had more success than Medal of Honour on the next generation consoles. Perhaps instead of trying to rake out a game for each series every few years, EA are planning on mixing the work and technology, and create a standoff – Call of Duty vs Medal of Honour.
Mon 03/05/10 at 22:24
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sonic Chris wrote:

"FPS means First Person Shooter, and this game, although it has aspects of an FPS, is mostly calling in Death Streak rewards. It’s almost a RTS (Real Time Strategy)."

I assume you refer to MW2. Good, I thought you were! Which 'game-genre' are you refering to then? It would seem, from this comment, the 'multi-player' aspect....not the single-player as you seem to indicate..:¬(
Mon 03/05/10 at 14:58
Regular
"How Ironic"
Yes, yet another Call of Duty is due for release. Modern Warfare 2 had all the expectation surrounding it, but in the end, it did not pack a big impact in comparison to it’s predecessors like Call of Duty 4. So what can be seen from this typical taster trailer?

Well, the game looks to be a mixture of a variety of time periods, but primarily may be set in Vietnam. Pausing the trailer at different moments, you can spot many helicopters, so Treyarch have moved from World War 2, and because of the many helicopters, reinforces the belief of a Vietnam based game. Like the Modern Warfare 2 trailer, not alot is being released about the game, besides the few gameclips. World at War, the last Treyarch Call of Duty was a mixed bag. Some liked it more than CoD 4, some hated it and remained on CoD 4. Personally, I think it was a good game, but CoD 4 was alot better. Modern Warfare 2 in my opinion is one of the worst FPSs I’ve played, mainly because of the fact that it isn’t an FPS. FPS means First Person Shooter, and this game, although it has aspects of an FPS, is mostly calling in Death Streak rewards. It’s almost a RTS (Real Time Strategy).

Medal of Honour (Honor) has been behind the Call of Duty series for ages now, with the only 360 and PS3 release being Airborne 3 years ago in 2007. The new release, simply called Medal of Honour, is set in Afghanistan. The trailer looks graphically sound, and features all of the nice shots that you get in most games. The last time I was lured in by a trailer was Far Cry 2, and that was a catastrophe. There’s one particular shot of a helicopter in the Medal of Honour trailer that particularly gets my gaming buds drooling, but yet again, a screenshot of a helicopter in Far Cry 2 made me buy it. So I’m unsure about this game to say the least. At the end of the day, you’re buying the game, not the trailer.

Something that interested me was that Medal of Honour is going to be using a heavily modified version of the Unreal Engine 3, which may be familiar from Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War 1 & 2. The key words here are heavily modified, in other words, it’s going to be for better or for worse. What excites me is for the multiplayer, Treyarch are going to be using the Frostbite Engine. Yes, the engine famous for it’s environmental destruction, and in multiplayer aswell. So this could mean a map is different in multiplayer everytime that you play it, and it also means no campers.

I have to say it does feel as though EA are mashing together Battlefield and Medal of Honour to bring down the Call of Duty machine. Battlefield has had more success than Medal of Honour on the next generation consoles. Perhaps instead of trying to rake out a game for each series every few years, EA are planning on mixing the work and technology, and create a standoff – Call of Duty vs Medal of Honour.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.