GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"300"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/03/07 at 00:47
Regular
"300", is the long awaited adaptation of Frank Miller's (of "Sin City" fame) succesful graphic novel, brutally chronicling the Battle of Thermopylae, where 300 Spartans (with 700 Thespians) fought against a Persian empire of over a million in one of the most famous last stands of all time.

300 has recieved much hype over its exaggerated comic book-esque visual style, with lashings of stylised gore, and lush backdrops that required worlds and worlds of blue screen to create. However, would this simply be an exercise in style over substance, or is there something deeper and more meaningful here? I can assure you that this is more than just a CG-fest, and that behind the gore is a moving story of the will of a small, but strong army that are fighting to their breath to defend what they believe in.

300 is, from the first minute to its last, utterly, utterly engaging, providing a timeless story that is inspiring to behold. Furthermore, one will undoubtedly derive more from their experience if they see it in a cinema rather than resorting to other means of seeing it. However, I do fear that a DVD viewing will not be anywhere near as pulse-racing. I mean that literally - moments of this epic piece of cinema will have your heart pounding and the hairs standing up on your arms, you neck, and, well, anywhere, really.

Surprisingly, the action was cleverly interspersed throughout the other plot threads, meaning that things never had time to become boring, and it also allowed the action to begin only about 45 minutes into the film. Allow me to state that nobody can deem this film to be lacking in action, although another 40 minutes of swordplay and blood-splattering would not have gone amiss. However, what we're treated to is one of the most enjoyable cinematic experiences in recent years.

The Spartan warriors are characterised in a relatively short time, and whilst you don't know all of their names, they'll no doubt be familiar to you by the time their place in the battle becomes instrumental or key. King Leonidas, for example, is a determined ruler, guiding 300 men to a battle in which they are severely outnumbered. He realises that safe return is unlikely, but his hope to be reuinted with his wife and son drive him to fight to his final breath, willing to give his life for any of his comrades. Likewise, his fellow soldiers battle with honour, and their unflinching determination seems to be what allows them to crushingly hold back the Persians in the opening moments of the battle.

Whilst I shan't spoil the conclusion of the battle (although many of you may already know it), the way in which it ends is enormously epic, but also rather moving, and whilst it's been done in some degree many times over, 300 brings something new to the table. The characters are full of heart, and Gerard Butler in particular gives his role a frenetic life, acting with the utmost gusto.

In conclusion, 300 lives up to the enormous hype it has recieved, which was pretty unexpected, considering this is one of 2007's high-key films. If this film isn't recognised at the Oscars for its cinematography, then it's a damn shame. Well worth a watch, but make sure it's on as big a screen as humanly possible.

Thanks for reading,
Reefer.
Sun 25/03/07 at 00:47
Regular
"300", is the long awaited adaptation of Frank Miller's (of "Sin City" fame) succesful graphic novel, brutally chronicling the Battle of Thermopylae, where 300 Spartans (with 700 Thespians) fought against a Persian empire of over a million in one of the most famous last stands of all time.

300 has recieved much hype over its exaggerated comic book-esque visual style, with lashings of stylised gore, and lush backdrops that required worlds and worlds of blue screen to create. However, would this simply be an exercise in style over substance, or is there something deeper and more meaningful here? I can assure you that this is more than just a CG-fest, and that behind the gore is a moving story of the will of a small, but strong army that are fighting to their breath to defend what they believe in.

300 is, from the first minute to its last, utterly, utterly engaging, providing a timeless story that is inspiring to behold. Furthermore, one will undoubtedly derive more from their experience if they see it in a cinema rather than resorting to other means of seeing it. However, I do fear that a DVD viewing will not be anywhere near as pulse-racing. I mean that literally - moments of this epic piece of cinema will have your heart pounding and the hairs standing up on your arms, you neck, and, well, anywhere, really.

Surprisingly, the action was cleverly interspersed throughout the other plot threads, meaning that things never had time to become boring, and it also allowed the action to begin only about 45 minutes into the film. Allow me to state that nobody can deem this film to be lacking in action, although another 40 minutes of swordplay and blood-splattering would not have gone amiss. However, what we're treated to is one of the most enjoyable cinematic experiences in recent years.

The Spartan warriors are characterised in a relatively short time, and whilst you don't know all of their names, they'll no doubt be familiar to you by the time their place in the battle becomes instrumental or key. King Leonidas, for example, is a determined ruler, guiding 300 men to a battle in which they are severely outnumbered. He realises that safe return is unlikely, but his hope to be reuinted with his wife and son drive him to fight to his final breath, willing to give his life for any of his comrades. Likewise, his fellow soldiers battle with honour, and their unflinching determination seems to be what allows them to crushingly hold back the Persians in the opening moments of the battle.

Whilst I shan't spoil the conclusion of the battle (although many of you may already know it), the way in which it ends is enormously epic, but also rather moving, and whilst it's been done in some degree many times over, 300 brings something new to the table. The characters are full of heart, and Gerard Butler in particular gives his role a frenetic life, acting with the utmost gusto.

In conclusion, 300 lives up to the enormous hype it has recieved, which was pretty unexpected, considering this is one of 2007's high-key films. If this film isn't recognised at the Oscars for its cinematography, then it's a damn shame. Well worth a watch, but make sure it's on as big a screen as humanly possible.

Thanks for reading,
Reefer.
Sun 25/03/07 at 18:47
Regular
I just realised I should've put this in the review section. Damn.
Mon 26/03/07 at 12:32
"possibly impossible"
How does it compare to the historical epic movie 300 Spartans then? Obivously, the first one was made a long time before Frank Miller came along and created a Graphic Novel of the event. But it would be interesting to compare them both, being about the same subject.
Mon 26/03/07 at 13:06
Regular
I've not seen it yet, although I intend to get a hold of it sometime.
Mon 26/03/07 at 14:59
Regular
"Twenty quid."
It was on BBC2 the other day - didn't see it, tho'.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.