GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Copied games- The Truth."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/10/01 at 16:28
Regular
It's not actually illegal to copy games as long as you own or owned a copy of the game. And it's not illegal to buy the copied games it's just illegal to sell. Thats it. It's only illegal if you sell them. With copied games you can buy, borrow off blockbuster and copy it, make lots of copies of games you already own and for all the authorities care you can stick it up your bum.
And another thing, some people say that copied games are just rips of real games with fmv's and music taken out. Well i must tell you it's pretty impossible to copy a game and get it to work after taking out fmv's because the game is programmed to run the fmv's and if it can't find the fmv it will crash.
If no quality is lost then surely it means people will be tempted to buy the games, and if producers don't do anything about then all i can say is they deserve it. That's a bit harsh you may say. But ask your mates and see how many of them have got a copy of LMA 2001. I bet you can hardly find anyone. Thats because Codies spent the time making sure their game was hard to crack. And they were rewarded for it. People who would normally rent and copy the game where forced to buy it instead. LMA 2001 as far as i know could only be copied with a top spec writer that could read sub channel data. But they made it hard for piraters which all companies should try and do. There will always be a way around it but if the producers give piraters a challenge then their certanly getting somewhere. So my point is that because copying a game is so easy and everything you want to know about copying a game is available, then the only way to stop it is for u mr producer to do something about it.
Fri 05/10/01 at 16:28
Regular
"  "
It's not actually illegal to copy games as long as you own or owned a copy of the game. And it's not illegal to buy the copied games it's just illegal to sell. Thats it. It's only illegal if you sell them. With copied games you can buy, borrow off blockbuster and copy it, make lots of copies of games you already own and for all the authorities care you can stick it up your bum.
And another thing, some people say that copied games are just rips of real games with fmv's and music taken out. Well i must tell you it's pretty impossible to copy a game and get it to work after taking out fmv's because the game is programmed to run the fmv's and if it can't find the fmv it will crash.
If no quality is lost then surely it means people will be tempted to buy the games, and if producers don't do anything about then all i can say is they deserve it. That's a bit harsh you may say. But ask your mates and see how many of them have got a copy of LMA 2001. I bet you can hardly find anyone. Thats because Codies spent the time making sure their game was hard to crack. And they were rewarded for it. People who would normally rent and copy the game where forced to buy it instead. LMA 2001 as far as i know could only be copied with a top spec writer that could read sub channel data. But they made it hard for piraters which all companies should try and do. There will always be a way around it but if the producers give piraters a challenge then their certanly getting somewhere. So my point is that because copying a game is so easy and everything you want to know about copying a game is available, then the only way to stop it is for u mr producer to do something about it.
Fri 05/10/01 at 16:34
Regular
You tell 'em
Fri 05/10/01 at 18:25
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Well, to be honest i dont know what is illegal and what is not in this situation but, think about it, if your a developer, part of a team that has been worked on for 2 years, and all the repayment you get is some cheap skate who copies the games. I feel whether you borrow them, or buy them, its wrong.
Fri 05/10/01 at 19:23
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Oh thats why everyone complained to Max about Lma 2001.......
Fri 05/10/01 at 19:40
Regular
"Back For Good"
Piracy is getting harder to do but they'll never stop it, Do people honestly think having specially made GC discs will stop it, nope, theres a gamecube that plays dvd's right? there you have it, rip the info from the GC disc, burn it onto dvd, few wires, couple of chips and hey presto.

It's your decision whether to do it or not but it's annoying when you see so many people getting away with it, especially when your the one suffering AND your in the right.

In PSW they spoke to one of the hardware designers of the PS1 and he said he made the PSone in a way so backups COULD be used, he didn't give his name and backups are legal but people will obviously misuse it.

what's the world coming to eh :-(
Fri 05/10/01 at 19:43
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Very well said.

After all, its up to you. And to let you know, im very against it.
Fri 05/10/01 at 23:14
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Natbuc wrote:
And another thing, some people say that copied games are just rips of real games with fmv's and music taken out.

I think that the Dreamcasts are rips as they are on 1 Gig Discs which of course arent available to buy. So in some cases things have been taken out.

I also think that you have to own the game. As you could go out and buy all the games on the system. Then return them or sell them on and make and keep a copy yourself. Therefore not owning any game and not losing much money of proper copys. If you own the game and you have a copy then that is ok as they cant really stop you from what is , backing up the game you spent £40 on, so you can use it instead of ruining the proper version.
Sat 06/10/01 at 13:48
Regular
"  "
Yeah i think your right there.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.