GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Weighing up the PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/10/01 at 22:41
Regular
I've had my PS2 for over a week now, so I thought I'd give everyone the benefit of my insight into this machine that resembles a piece of scenery from 2001.

When I first turned the machine on, I noticed that it had quite a nice configuration screen. All rotating blobs and translucent colours, moving around like nobody's business. This was nice and after I'd fiddled around with the date and time (changing from Spanish to English and amending the time and date) I tried the demo disc out.

Oh how disappointed I was. No, I hadn't loaded the disc yet, I'd just seen the new PS2 logo screen. A nice enough PS2 logo (in boring white letters) appears with a sound resembling a damp rasberry. I'm sorry, but the original PSX logo was so much better and at least they made an effort with the 'fanfair'. So we get a good impression of the PS2 as the sound of too many baked beans herald the loading of the disc...hm.

Well, I neededn't have worried, the demo disc certainly showed up that intro. Nice swirly polygons and loud music rose from the TV speakers (alas, my sound system was back in the UK, old tinny TV speakers had to do for now!) I was soon having a go at the (3) playable demos and watching the rest. Time to buy a PS2 mag for another demo disc, methinks! Still, by this time I was very impressed and the joypads were a lot more sensitive than my old PSX ones, even the fire buttons seemed to work better. Nice, and in black too.

The games on the demo disc were quite a nice little starter for me. Yes, I'd played PS2 games before, but there's something about playing them on your own console that makes the experience far more special. I loved SSX pro and even the FIFA game wasn't too bad once I'd figured out the controls (oh, and what team I was supposed to be playing as!) Not sure about the racing game though, a bit boring for me, but nice graphics all the same.

Ok, so I'd played the demos, now for the real stuff, GT3. I opened the disc tray and the music on the demo disc got stuck, so I reset the machine and it waited for my new shiny disc. Well, we all watched the intro with dropped jaws and I must say, I was very impressed.

The heat effects, the speed and the graphics in general were greater than I had remembered them. Lovely and playable to boot. A pity, then, that Sony had omitted to include one of their expensive memory cards in the pack. Yes, it was only when I got back the England that I noticed SR's firepack, but a memory card is in the process of being bought.

Taking the machine home, I wrapped it in as many clothes as I could and prayed it made it through the journey. It did, of course, and was the first thing I unpacked the following day (funny that!) I've now gone on to play many more games (mostly borrowed, unfortunately) and I can say that I am still impressed. Sony should have really worked on that logo though, but I'll forgive them after playing the demo of MGS2.
Sun 07/10/01 at 19:05
Regular
Actually, I had Street Fighter 2 before the Megadrive. Great game... once I got my mind trapped on it and had to fight Bill Gates to the death before being trapped in my own subconcious for five years... but that's another story. :0)
Sun 07/10/01 at 19:02
Regular
Haven't even played Sonic CD yet, sodding Mega CD hasn't arrived.

It's the last time I ever deal with someone called Graham, I tell you.
Sun 07/10/01 at 10:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I have a Negadrive, I found it yesterday and set it up next to my PS2. I still haven't completed Sonic CD, grr...
Sun 07/10/01 at 10:41
"possibly impossible"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Pb? Prejudice? When?

Anywho, also glad you're enjoying your PS2. Seems to be
> the time to get one, but I only just bought a Megadrive, so I better not.
> :0)

hm. Did you buy a Streetfighter II cartridge with it? Better be careful Grix....
Sat 06/10/01 at 10:30
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
VenomByte wrote:
> zeldapro thought:
>I'll just quote that entire message for no paticular
>
>reason, thus setting a good example for all foggers
>in the prime..

Bout right VenomByte!! Someone had to do it!! :-D
Sat 06/10/01 at 09:52
Regular
Resvilfan wrote:
> PB and anyone else with a PS2, You shouldn't use the back switch every time you
> want to use your console, you should use the standby button on the front of
> machine.

It says in the instructions to this :-)

why not i just switch mine off at the back every time

+ i have it in the Big Tele room(Living room) and because i lay it on the floor and keep it next to the tele it has become second nature to reach to the back and switch it on at the back
Fri 05/10/01 at 19:47
Crap, I meant PS3. See, that would have made more sense.
Fri 05/10/01 at 19:43
Regular
"Back For Good"
He was joking about the led :-D
Fri 05/10/01 at 19:42
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Awww, I'm just full of totally useless information!
Fri 05/10/01 at 19:39
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
"No, it uses about the same amount of electricity as a camera flash."

I'm sorry Turbo, but that by far, has to be the saddest sentence I've ever read on these forums. :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.