GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Kevin Smith"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/10/01 at 20:55
Regular
I know there is a few Keven Smith fans among you. Goatboy, for example. But for you gormless, uneducated people who don't know who he is, I shall enlighten you. Be happy.

He directs films produced by View Askew, his production company. They are always funny, cynical, and have a 'unique' take on life. Oh, and there's the constant of Jay and Silent Bob. These two are stoners who wander in and out of trouble in his films. Jay is played by Jason Mewes, and Silent Bob by the man himself, K Smith.

Now Smith has produced a number of films : Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. There may be more. I'm going to talk about my favourite, Dogma, but not just yet.

Smith has a core of actors he uses for these films. Two are hugely famous, the others not so. The famous ones? Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. Now, whatever your thoughts on these two, they both have done some pretty awful mainstream films. Pearl Harbour? The Legend of Bagger Vance?

But in Smith films, all this is forgotten. They are immensely funny. Damon's finest film was Dogma, by far. Affleck? I'm torn, but I'd have to say Chasing Amy. Holden McNeil is hilarious.

His other stable actor is Jason Lee. Now, this guy is seriously funny. In Chasing Amy, his one-liners were great. In Dogma, he was criminally underused. Back up, any K Smith fans? Azrael could have been played by anyone. Lee was wasted.

Famous actors have breezed in and out of these films - the most notable of which is Dogma and the latest, Jay and SIlent Bob Strike Back. Alan Rickman, Salma Hayek (stripping) and Mark Hamill are just some of the names.

Now, onto Dogma - the pick of the litter. I'm sure the Mallrats fan club will disagree, but Dogma rules, OK? I will broke no argument.

The plot is farcical. Two angels are thrown out of Heaven for refusing to co-operate with God. A drunken act, but God is not the Man( or Woman) to be messing around with. Now, they have been clued in to a loophole in Catholic dogma that will let them re-enter heaven. Only problem, it will end everything. So a posse is depatched to deal with Loki and Bartleby, including the Last Scion, a Muse, the 13th Apostle, Jay and Slent Bob and a surly Seraphim.

All the way through, the one-liners are thick and fast.

Now, why have I posted this? No real reason, just that I KNOW that many of you would love these films, and haven't seen them because the early ones weren't mainstream. My advice is watch them. You'll love them. And you might even understand why I go around typing Snoogins all the time, or maybe thats just me.

But anyway, enjoy, hopefully as much as I do. Pity that it all ends after Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. *sob*

Ah well. Snooze to the motherfunning nooze. Snoogins.

Hailing from Redbank, New Jersey, these films ROCK!

Thanks, Stryke.
Fri 05/10/01 at 09:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
"I'm Jay and this is my hetero-lifemate Silent Bob"

There are a lot of gay references in the new one, hope they dont get edited out.
Worth it to see J&SB pretending to be a gay couple with Suzanne the super-intelligent ape as their adopted son.
Fri 05/10/01 at 09:25
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Does Jay think that he is gay is another question? I think Jay is becoming a counter-culture's answer to Chandler from Friends. It was a running joke in Friends that in practically every episode something that happened to Chandler questioned his sexuality (either a Freudian slip or a dream, reference to his childhood etc).

Kevin Smith is doing exactly the same with Jay, especially in the comics. Plus, I have a Jay doll on my desk which says, among other things, "I'm all about the brown" when you push his button. Open to various interpretations I'm sure.
Fri 05/10/01 at 08:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The question of whether Banky is gay or not is answered in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

I won't say anything, but if you miss this movie then you really can't call yourself a movie-fan

"My grandmother always used to say, why buy the cow when you can get the sex for free?"
Fri 05/10/01 at 08:19
Regular
He was Banky in Chasing Amy - the could be gay could be straight one.
Cheers though, and the disclaimer is great.

'View Askew does wish to point out even God has a sense of humour. Look at the platypus.'
'View Askew hope they have not offended any fans of the noble platypus'.

Great stuff.
Fri 05/10/01 at 00:07
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I thought Jason Lee was the lead in Mall Rats... which would mean that he wasn't in Chasing Amy. Are we talking about the long-haired, bearded fellow, or the short-haired acid-tongued legend.

You forgot the snappy, witty one-liners.. best part by far!

I agree entirely though, Kevin Smith is a genius as the intro to Dogma (the disclaimer) proves in abundance.

Nice posting
Thu 04/10/01 at 20:55
Regular
I know there is a few Keven Smith fans among you. Goatboy, for example. But for you gormless, uneducated people who don't know who he is, I shall enlighten you. Be happy.

He directs films produced by View Askew, his production company. They are always funny, cynical, and have a 'unique' take on life. Oh, and there's the constant of Jay and Silent Bob. These two are stoners who wander in and out of trouble in his films. Jay is played by Jason Mewes, and Silent Bob by the man himself, K Smith.

Now Smith has produced a number of films : Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. There may be more. I'm going to talk about my favourite, Dogma, but not just yet.

Smith has a core of actors he uses for these films. Two are hugely famous, the others not so. The famous ones? Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. Now, whatever your thoughts on these two, they both have done some pretty awful mainstream films. Pearl Harbour? The Legend of Bagger Vance?

But in Smith films, all this is forgotten. They are immensely funny. Damon's finest film was Dogma, by far. Affleck? I'm torn, but I'd have to say Chasing Amy. Holden McNeil is hilarious.

His other stable actor is Jason Lee. Now, this guy is seriously funny. In Chasing Amy, his one-liners were great. In Dogma, he was criminally underused. Back up, any K Smith fans? Azrael could have been played by anyone. Lee was wasted.

Famous actors have breezed in and out of these films - the most notable of which is Dogma and the latest, Jay and SIlent Bob Strike Back. Alan Rickman, Salma Hayek (stripping) and Mark Hamill are just some of the names.

Now, onto Dogma - the pick of the litter. I'm sure the Mallrats fan club will disagree, but Dogma rules, OK? I will broke no argument.

The plot is farcical. Two angels are thrown out of Heaven for refusing to co-operate with God. A drunken act, but God is not the Man( or Woman) to be messing around with. Now, they have been clued in to a loophole in Catholic dogma that will let them re-enter heaven. Only problem, it will end everything. So a posse is depatched to deal with Loki and Bartleby, including the Last Scion, a Muse, the 13th Apostle, Jay and Slent Bob and a surly Seraphim.

All the way through, the one-liners are thick and fast.

Now, why have I posted this? No real reason, just that I KNOW that many of you would love these films, and haven't seen them because the early ones weren't mainstream. My advice is watch them. You'll love them. And you might even understand why I go around typing Snoogins all the time, or maybe thats just me.

But anyway, enjoy, hopefully as much as I do. Pity that it all ends after Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. *sob*

Ah well. Snooze to the motherfunning nooze. Snoogins.

Hailing from Redbank, New Jersey, these films ROCK!

Thanks, Stryke.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.