GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sticky Controls? Can't Move?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/10/01 at 20:08
Regular
At that precise time you don't want the moment to ever end, because you are winning... going for the fastest time, the best kill or the most wins.

Then, when you realise you have been playing the game for the last five hours in a row to still complete the same level or race... you may have become addicted!

I call it the 'stickycontrol' syndrome, it can happen to the best of us, as we are just playing the game the rest of the world continues, you look at your watch at 12.00 and begin to play, soon enough it is 18.00pm and you wonder where the hell the time went... stickycontrol, just another way of saying you have become addicted.

Whether you like or not, it would have happened to you...

Just one more go.... just one more.... just one more.... etc... etc... ever heard that one? Ever said that one to yourself? Its happened to me! Games like Tetris and a newer one being Conkers Bad Fur Day have actually got me hooked within the game and the console, I played until I couldn't play no more, I played until my bladder could hold no more, I played until the console began to moan... I just played.

People? Its not a bad thing, sometimes it helps stress... other times when like I was thirteen and I couldn't stop playing Mario Land was worrying, for two weeks I wanted 100% of the game done, it didn't matter if Yoshi wasn't there or not, this game WAS my easter holiday those years ago.

Maybe it just happens without thinking... for you don't pick up the controller and say that this game I will become addicted to, for some it just doesn't happen. Firstly it depends on the person playing, secondly it depends on the game itself.

Wetrix took my friend. But it didn't take me.
Tetris took me. But it didn't take my friend.

Simple. Addiction rules... just depends on whether you have the time or not... me I normally make the time.

Thanks
Joby
Sun 07/10/01 at 13:18
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Ever had a time when you play a game, you know you hate that game, you get bored after playing it for two minutes, so you leave it, then ten minutes later you go back to it and continue the circle?

That's always happening to me.
Fri 05/10/01 at 15:48
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
>from original post:
>Just one more go.... just one more.... just one more.... etc... etc... ever heard that one? Ever said that one to yourself? Its happened to me! Games like Tetris and a newer one being Conkers Bad Fur Day have actually got me hooked within the game and the console, I played until I couldn't play no more, I played until my bladder could hold no more, I played until the console began to moan... I just played.

I still play Conkers after having it for what seems ages!! I can't play it any more....lent it to a friend.

But Black & White and Cossacks have had me hooked every day from 5pm - 9pm!!! Then I re-heat my dinner (from ignoring calls at sevenpm :-D) Then I do my homework for the next day, and all th...etc.
Fri 05/10/01 at 12:46
Regular
"Not your monkey"
My last 'sticky control' game was Deus Ex. I really took to that game and lost several grades in my a-levels because of it. Never mind eh!
Fri 05/10/01 at 09:48
Regular
Zelda Majora's Mask had me hooked.

My last mock GCSE exam had finished and I was off school.

My brother went to school and I started playing on the game.

Before I knew it he was back again...

5 hours?

It only seemed like 2...
Thu 04/10/01 at 22:53
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I love playing games all day. I love it when you reach the peak of concentration in which no one can break it. I also like it when I can pull off anything that I set my mind to.
Thu 04/10/01 at 22:45
"possibly impossible"
Sticky control? Well, I always try to wash my hands before playing, but sometimes I forget and the jam gets stuck on the controller....

But, yeah, if programmers actually get the difficulty and reward system right, then you can really get stuck in and addicted to a game. I prefer arcade games that I can come back to after completing them, but from what I've played of Skies of Arcadia, I'd have to agree with Grix.
Thu 04/10/01 at 22:32
Regular
I've been playing mario kart solid today, trying to beat er-no's time on sunset wilds. it took me about an hours worth of solid play, but i finally did it! GO and check it er-no, 1'11"13!
Thu 04/10/01 at 22:24
Quite a few good games can achieve this affect these days but it does depend on your personal preference. I can often keep a track of time, it's just that it passes too fast because of how much I'm enjoying the game and not checking the time.
Thu 04/10/01 at 21:44
Regular
Skies of Arcadia was the last game to really grip me like that... I started playing while it was still bright. I watched the sunset through my window, still playing. It was only when the sun rose that I thought I better pack it in.

The Megadrive is the one that grips me as well... just trying to complete games in one go.
Thu 04/10/01 at 20:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
At that precise time you don't want the moment to ever end, because you are winning... going for the fastest time, the best kill or the most wins.

Then, when you realise you have been playing the game for the last five hours in a row to still complete the same level or race... you may have become addicted!

I call it the 'stickycontrol' syndrome, it can happen to the best of us, as we are just playing the game the rest of the world continues, you look at your watch at 12.00 and begin to play, soon enough it is 18.00pm and you wonder where the hell the time went... stickycontrol, just another way of saying you have become addicted.

Whether you like or not, it would have happened to you...

Just one more go.... just one more.... just one more.... etc... etc... ever heard that one? Ever said that one to yourself? Its happened to me! Games like Tetris and a newer one being Conkers Bad Fur Day have actually got me hooked within the game and the console, I played until I couldn't play no more, I played until my bladder could hold no more, I played until the console began to moan... I just played.

People? Its not a bad thing, sometimes it helps stress... other times when like I was thirteen and I couldn't stop playing Mario Land was worrying, for two weeks I wanted 100% of the game done, it didn't matter if Yoshi wasn't there or not, this game WAS my easter holiday those years ago.

Maybe it just happens without thinking... for you don't pick up the controller and say that this game I will become addicted to, for some it just doesn't happen. Firstly it depends on the person playing, secondly it depends on the game itself.

Wetrix took my friend. But it didn't take me.
Tetris took me. But it didn't take my friend.

Simple. Addiction rules... just depends on whether you have the time or not... me I normally make the time.

Thanks
Joby

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.