GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mobile Phones?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/03/07 at 16:31
Regular
Hi everyone,
I wondered if there would be any interest in starting a thread on mobile phones, tips tricks etc? does it have any appeal to any of you out there?

Kev
Mon 09/04/07 at 14:50
Regular
Twain wrote:
> I top-up with £10 every few
> months. Yes, that's how long it lasts me.
>
> And i don't intend to get a new phone until this one goes kaput,
> for the simple reason that there is no point.

Same for me
Mon 09/04/07 at 14:49
Regular
I mean, if you think about it, mobiles are like Broadband.

Both are things that in an 'ideal world', people should be able to do without. Materialistically speaking though, they're there for the convenience.

Whilst it would be unrealistic to say that everyone should completely remove the Internet and telephones from their lives, Broadband and mobiles can both be seen as 'convenience' items.

After all, I use Broadband for the occasional bit of research, but mostly so I can listen to music, watch tv and films and speak to people - to arrange things and also just to chat. I used to use Dial Up, and only switched across because the money spent was too high and Broadband was cheaper, for the amount it was used. I could have simply eradicated my usage altogether, or limited it down. However, that's not what I, or indeed the majority of people, find it easier to do in a consumer society.

No, instead, it was easier to upgrade to Broadband. Don't get me wrong, I like it and it's the better package. But still, the large part of me having it is so I can connect whenever I want, talk when I don't need to and unwind on something which really I really don't need to, considering the amount of other things I have to do this. Over time though, it's become a part of my life.

Mobiles are the same. People could really exist as they used to, on simply using the landline. Obviously, telephones are much better than everyone moving back to mail - that doesn't really benefit anyone. Mobiles though, are also there for convenience. You could just call everyone and sort details out before you go out, or wait to speak to people when you get home, however, the mobile has stopped the need to do this and it's all really on the convenience factor. It's the same with cameras; if you really wanted to take pictures you could take a digital camera with you, but combining the two is easier for walking around with and most people become used to having a camera in case any 'Kodak moments' arise.
Mon 09/04/07 at 14:43
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I've had my Sagem myV-65 since I was in year 10. Before then, for a very short period, I had a Nokia 7210, and before then a 3210. I don't use all the technology in the Sagem phone, and am not one for buying a new phone every year just as a fashion item, I simply carry it around in case of emergency, or to make calls and send a couple of texts. I top-up with £10 every few months. Yes, that's how long it lasts me.

And i don't intend to get a new phone until this one goes kaput, for the simple reason that there is no point. When it does go kaput, I'll most likely buy another Nokia 7210, because it doesn't have so much technology that I won't use, and also has ... Bounce.
Mon 09/04/07 at 14:23
Regular
At the end of the day, mobiles were built with the option of manoeuvrability, to ease businessmen in making their calls while still going about their work. In the same way, it became common place so that people could phone their children or simply get something like directions, or confirm a meeting without the need to be on the home telephone.

So, despite the fact that all gadgets change and modernise over time - giving people 'more for their money' - the mobile has really moved away from what it was originally intended to be.

Nowadays I see people using it in almost abusive way; instead of using it for important calls home, maybe confirming exactly where they're going or even in an emergency the mobile comes into play everywhere, at all times. You almost can't walk into somewhere like Sainsbury's these days without walking down an aisle and at some point hearing "I'm in aisle three, love, where are you", or something similar. It's just completely unecessary. It works in the same way on the train, when people choose to call what seems like everyone in their phonebook, in the loudest possible voice.

I'm probably gonna sound hypocritical when I say this, but ah well, I do take a mobile most places I go these days and also to school. However, I keep it on silent and use it for the things I actually need it for.. arranging a way home and when there's a big trek down to the equilavent of a 'shopping centre' for lunch, before lessons.

The camera elements on the phone I didn't have for years after everyone else and only got because for the same price as a phone without a camera I could pick up one with it, and it seemed I might possibly use it. It can be good for the occasional 'YouTube'-esque video, which I'm sure almost everyone has seen, but, it's like people these days take pictures of everything everytime they go out, to stick onto things like MySpace on the 'net.

Yeah well, long point rounded off in a not very concise way.. I could probably be without my phone and just be more organised, but I find it allows a bit more spontaneous-ness. Instead of knowing I have to get to a certain place at a certain time, it can be re-arranged, which is a good thing if something great comes up, that I'd have otherwise of missed. Programmes like Msn allow people to arrange everything for free, without needing to spend money, so they almost make texting obselete when at home.

Mobiles are good, but not as good as everyone who constantly updates them seems to make out. That's just another gimmick. Yes, you get a little more, yes you look like you're 'up to date' but it's not kind on the pocket and it's not needed!
Mon 09/04/07 at 13:58
Regular
"lets go back"
Grandprix wrote:
> I've pretty much come to hate all phones. It's like someone
> shouting 'Speak to me now! Speak to me now!' every time it goes
> off, because it interrupts any conversation you are having.
>
> So, by extension, a mobile phone is an annoying person shouting
> at you while you are out.
>
> I understand that they have quite important uses but the mobile
> phone has a bit of an annoyance to me.

I agree. If I'm out of the house its probably because I'm doing something so dont really want to be interrupted to talk to someone. Mobiles can come in useful and I wouldn't get rid of mine because it would keep me out of the loop with many friends bur Id love it if everyone got rid of their phones together.
Mon 09/04/07 at 11:25
Regular
Recently got my Nokia 5300 on T Mobile. Pretty sweet phone. Cute as hell ^-^
Mon 09/04/07 at 00:31
Regular
"Music Leasing"
yh, i just got a new samsung e250 from virgin mobile for FREE! using my red rewards thingy. TBH i cant fault it, it always haz a signal (unlike my k700i) and it az expanable memory upto 2GB for all the music i have lol

the camera iz Great and so iz the mp3 player the text messaging iz much easier on it too!!

would highly recommend it to anyone!!!
Fri 23/03/07 at 21:43
"possibly impossible"
Yes, they are. Though you can get them unlocked for a price. (either by getting yourself a cable from ebay or finding someone to do it). Actually, the phone companies may be able to do them themselves if you're going to buy a sim from them, but it usually costs a lot more.
Fri 23/03/07 at 20:43
Regular
Are tesco phones not locked? and branded? I know they are on the O2 network though, same as Three when it cant get a 3 signal it hops on to O2, in our area I can only have O2 or T Mobile others have no coverage.
Fri 23/03/07 at 20:00
Regular
I had the classic 3330 for about four years-ish. It was starting to break down though, with keys coming off and sticking and the like.. so I got an NEC 338 a few years back, which was pretty good for £90.

Recently, I've started using my phone more than I used to, but I'm really not too bothered with the whole 'taking photos of every night out and sticking them up on the 'net', as in on myspace, bebo etc

It's a pretty decent phone, though 3 is one of the most annoying networks I've ever seen. On Pay-as-you-go, and after 3 finally let credit last for more than a month it's been pretty good. Only a 0.7megapixel camera, I believe, which isn't too great for colour definition, but ain't bad. It takes videos and captures photos... but with 'limits'; a maximum of 25seconds of video and there's no Bluetooth or Infrared. A phone that wasn't much different, with Bluetooth and Infrared, would have set me back an extra £100. No chance.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.