GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Multi-platform games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/10/01 at 13:24
Regular
Browsing through the news sections on this very sight I noticed that a lot of games that are to be used as the weapons in the up coming battle for supremacy,after the Game Cube and X-Box are released, are to appear on all three platforms.

At first it seemed to be just PS2 titles that had been supposedly PS2 exclusive seemed to be falling into the hands of Microsoft and Nintendo. Most noticably the announcement of "Metal Gear Solid" games to appear on the X-Box in the future and the loss of previously exclusive title ZOE to X-Box and GBA.

More recently I've been reading about the appearance of Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 across all platforms, I'm not sure whether the on-line skateparks will span across all 3 or if they'll be seperate. But none the less it is making a difference to "Console wars" debates that have proved so popular here. No longer can we list games in a bid to win over the X-Box massive or the GC crewe!

Then, after browsing OPSM2, I realised that its not just PS2 titles dropping their "exclusive" nature. Games such as "Malice" - a bizzarre actiony/ adventury game about a wee girl called Alice who attacks people with oversized mallets and such - that was previously an X-Box "exclusive" game is now being coded for a PS2 release as well. So it looks as though the gaming world could be getting friendlier.

The Final Fantasy games will be playable on-line across multiple platforms (from Final Fantasy 11 anyway), namely X-Box and PS2, so hopefully the scholl yard attitude of "my consoles better than your console" will start to drop.

Of course there's always specs to argue about and with Sony's PS2 definayely being the runner up in this category, it could seem a bit of a problem. However, as we saw with the PS1, Sony machines are good at seeming the underdog and coming out on top.
The PS1 took on the might of the N64, a machine apparently twice its superior in power, yet emerged the victor. Games such as THPS and FIFA '99, which appeared on both consoles, were far superior in terms of gameplay on the playstation.
Thats not a Playstation biased point of view either, at this time I was a dedicated Ninty!

Well, the specs are a lot closer this time, meaning that in theory, Sony shouldn't have too much trouble holding their own with the big boys.

So what with all the machines having a lot to offer, specifications being similar and many games being released on all 3, does this make it easier or harder to choose between them?

If you could offer your opinions in a non console wars fashion, that could help! State your opinions without slagging off the other machines :-)
Wed 03/10/01 at 21:35
In reply to the mascot gaming, I think that Sony could do with one.
Lara had potential, but she is availible on the PC, X-Box and Dreamcast, so I'm sure if Nintendo would flash the checkbook, Lara wouldn't think twice about a running jump and grab onto the GameCube.
Then we had Spyro, but he didn't really have any personality about him to make him loveable. Good games though! Sypro was cute maybe but...erm, well let's move on.
Crash tried it too. His games were good, if repetitive and a little linear. Also, I don't think he says a single word throughout his five or so games, making him hard to relate with. So not only the gameplay, but the actual character disappoints slighty too. To put it bluntly, Crash is bloody dense!
A few others have tried too, but have never really been promoted or associated with the respective console like Mario and Sonic.
But then it is maybe all about the intended audience and market each console wants too. Both Mario and Sonic have 'matured' over the years, so that kids and adults alike can interact and appreciate them. Sony have yet to strike that balance with existing 'failures'.
Comments on my thoughts are appreciated.
Wed 03/10/01 at 19:17
Strafex wrote:
> Actually, Sony has sort of lost a major they had in the last generation of
> console wars.

A game is being made for Playstation and N64.

The N64 was
> difficult to make for and they struggled with the hardware and sqeezing it all
> into a cartrige.

The Playstation was a fair bit easier with the nice CD
> format and was pretty moderate to programme for.

That's why the PS version
> normally turned out best.
Third party devellopers couldn't release the N64's
> power like Nintendo and Rare do.

Now the PS2 is even harder to make games
> for than the N64 and the Gamecube is far easier to make games for that the
> Playstation was.

The roles have reversed.

Likewise, it may not make much
> difference at first as they'll put more effort into the PS2 versions at first
> (there being more PS2 owners), but as console sales level up, the PS2 will start
> to lack what the devellopers haven't had time to implement or polish thanks to
> awkward hardware.

But if you think about it the same thing happened with the
DC + Saturn
Saturn- hard to program for
Playatation- easy
Dreamcast- easy
Ps2- Hard

But the thing about the PS2 is that people just bought it without even knowing what it was,
Playstation + 2 =good thing (how wrong thay are)
alot of the people in the qs were going
Really it plays games AND DVDs wow
Wed 03/10/01 at 19:10
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
To come up with a decent mascot Sony would have to steal someone elses idea.

We'd have either:

'Sony'ic (Sonic)

'Viao'-rio (Mario)

Or WalkMan... yes... he dresses like a man and walks on the screen to make the Playstation 3 look cooool-didley-ool! Other than that he is playable in "Jak and daxter 5: The sequel with an extra character" and can be seen on the Helmet of a guy in Formula One 2004.

Oh, and then there's 'Lute' Like Banjo, but he's a bit more mature and has blocky edges.

Crash Bandicoot was last to be interviewed, but he lost his spin he mysteriously taken out my some green guy with a hoover. (It's a vacuum... Hoover is a brand name!)

Helda couldn't make it to the interviews because she didn't bring her Green Tunic neither could Snake Solid... he had to 'Go see about a poster'

Well there.... Sony would only have shot themselves in the foot had they 'thought up' (Blatantly stolen) a mascot.

They did themselves a favour!
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:57
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Tarrant, you are right that the PSX done excellent without a mascot but I think it would have done even better with one. No?
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:54
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I am still sticking with my original post :D

Maybe it is just me then (yes, probably is). Maybe I want a character I can call my own!

Anyhow, just giving my side to the argument.
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:45
Err.... Sega had Sonic and don't make consoles anymore.

Nintendo have Mario, but there last machine lost them a lot of fans.

The Playstation had no fixed character and outsold the NES.

I'm sticking with mascotless gaming!

Good post all the same though :-)
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:43
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I think.... M16 is wrong...

To sell well, the Playstation 2 needs to do exactly what it's done... show consumers that it can provide graphically updated sequels of the classics that fulfilled their gaming needs those years ago. Tekken, Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer, Fifa and ISS have already made it to the PS2 within a year, Metal gear Solid is coming and new titles like Jak and Daxter are on the way... really the PS2 is well setup... DVD and all.... it's just s shame that it is... from a Ninty point of view!

I wouldn't mind having some PS2 games ported to GC, but until their on the screen and i'm controlling the game with a purple/black thing that says 'Nintendo Gamecube' on I'n not even gonna think about it... anymore... :D

Game
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:34
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I think that in order for the Playstation2 to sell well it needs its own ìgame characterî. Obviously, Sega have Sonic and Nintendo have Mario. Why do I think this? Well, personally it doesnít matter to *me* if Sony has itís own character or not but I think people can be persuaded to buy x console because it has its own character. I would guess that 70% of Nintendo buyers but the N64 because of their exclusive game characters. Itís not just the fact that the characters are only on the x console but because they will also have exclusive games.

If Sony want the PS2 to do well I really think they need to get a few ìPS2 exclusive games/characters available for it. At the moment, people around the world are having a think about what console to get. They are going to look at the Nintendo Gamecube and notice that it has games on it that the PS2 hasnít. I know that the PS2 has games that the Nintendo have not got but itís not the same. Mario is a huge character and sells well on whatever Nintendo console it goes on.

What Gamecube is doing right and the PS2 doing wrong is all down to exclusive titles. Many people are delighted with the fact that the Gamecube has some fantastic titles that will never be made on any other console. Take Mario for instance. This is a game that I personally think people think of when they hear the words ìNintendoî Mario always features in a game with the launch of a console. This maybe is a point that the PS2 can not win.

I was quite shocked that SSX was going to be released on the Gamecube and the X-Box. With SSX being the best PS2 game in my view, I think this is another issue that needs to be fixed. I am not talking about the issue of SSX going on different consoles, but I think Sony need to persuade game companies to make PS2 exclusive games for it. This will certainly increase the user base for it, wouldnít it?
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:30
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I'm of two minds about this... on one hand I wouldn't let go of Mario as an Exclusive for all the Monkey's in that place where there are loads of Monkey's... On the other hand, i'd love to see all the top games that saw the Playstation to it's top-spot those years ago come to Gamecube. Maybe because i'm bias and I want the world for Nintendo. Who knows....

I think everyone should be able to wintess the greatness of all developers, but in the real gaming world there is a very big fight and it's business! Nintendo won't let go of anything... Playstation want MGS2 as their own, and well... Microsoft want to be Sega! The simple hobby of gaming has a terrible secret... and it's one that as few people as possible know about!

Game
Tue 02/10/01 at 14:28
WooHoo a mature "non console wars" reply!!!!

I think the result we're already seeing from the PS2 suggest that developers are coming to grips with the machine. True, we've not seen much from GC and X-Box as yet. I guess thats when things will really begin hotting up. It could be that the new machines give us some perspective on the PS2 releases thus far and PS2 drops out of the running... but I don't think so.

Do you know if the Game Cube being easy to develop for is likely to produce limitations? I remember hearing something about that a while back, but it may just have been the whole "you can't fit as much info as you can on a DVD" which, one would assume would just mean games spanning more than one disc.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.