GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sheep Dog'n wolf review"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/10/01 at 17:32
Regular
Heres another of my reviews..

Well, well, well, who would of thought it. Finally a WB's licensed game that is as funny and as playable as you would ever find on a 6-year-old console. Not only this, but it's got some of the best graphics ever to be seen on the PSOne as well as an excellent cast of voices from all your favorite Loony Toons characters. Oh, and did I mention it's the first of it's kind? Looks like Infograms have done a good job then.
The game sounds quite simple really. You take the part of Ralph wolf, the cousin of the ever-famous Wile E.Coyote, and like him, he never gives up on getting what he wants, but instead of catching Roadrunner he snatches sheep. Yes you heard me, or should I say 'herd' me, you have to snatch sheep. Daffy Duck the owner of a show, invites you to snatch sheep to win lots of nice prizes and enough roast lamb to last a lifetime. But as always it's not as simple as it sounds. The first mission see's you sneaking up (aka Mr Solid Snake) on Sam Sheep dog (who's ever present in every level to make life as hard as possible) while trying to snatch a sheep. The thing is, once you have your little wooly friend, how are you going to get him back over a rickety bridge that can only support one of you? Well thatís the magic of the game. Every problem on every level needs approaching in a different way. Whether it's laying trails of lettuces for the sheep to follow, or hiding in bushes to creep around in without catching the attention of Sam Sheepdog. There are so many different puzzles to solve which adds great playability to the game.
The controls are simple, but if youíre a bit stuck on how to do or use something, then Daffy Duck is there to give a helping hand. As well as Daffy Duck, many more Looney Toons characters are present and ready to help. These characters are key if you want any chance to progress. Also getting new 'toys' is key. When I say toys I mean a jetpack or a stick of dynamite. You have to order these from mailboxes and then go and fetch them from a drop off on the current level. You can mix the items together to make bigger toys but getting the right combination is crucial. If you complete levels and then re-enter them new hidden parts are unlocked which have timers in. If you activate these you win points that you can use to buy nice extras such as game art and hints telling you how to unlock bonus levels. Unlocking all these adds an extra challenge to the game.
The gameís a joy to look at. The graphics are very clear and sharp while leaving out any complex detail to give a real feel of playing a cartoon. There are some great animations in the game such as Ralph having his face flattened after running in to a rock and the ever funny 'walking in mid-air before plunging a great distance off the top of a cliff' joke. The humor in the game is immense. Every conversation will make you laugh while the activities you have to do always make you chuckle.
The game in all is really a mixture of several successful games. There is an element of stealth from 'MGS' and some of the puzzles are rather like something from 'Monkey Island' or 'Lemmings'. You could even say it has touches of 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' as you have to answer questions correctly to win new 'toys'.
Overall this is a great, original and very playable game. It doesn't really fail in any department and Iím sure everyone who has played it will be waiting in anticipation for a possible PS2 version.

Graphics: 9- Stunning cartoon style graphics.
Sound: 8 - Nice voices from all the LT crew.
Game play: 10 - The best ever?
Longetivity: 9.5 - Lot's of fun missions.

Is this game great?
EWE BET IT IS!

9.5/10

NATBUC
'Premiership gamer'
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 01/10/01 at 17:32
Regular
"  "
Heres another of my reviews..

Well, well, well, who would of thought it. Finally a WB's licensed game that is as funny and as playable as you would ever find on a 6-year-old console. Not only this, but it's got some of the best graphics ever to be seen on the PSOne as well as an excellent cast of voices from all your favorite Loony Toons characters. Oh, and did I mention it's the first of it's kind? Looks like Infograms have done a good job then.
The game sounds quite simple really. You take the part of Ralph wolf, the cousin of the ever-famous Wile E.Coyote, and like him, he never gives up on getting what he wants, but instead of catching Roadrunner he snatches sheep. Yes you heard me, or should I say 'herd' me, you have to snatch sheep. Daffy Duck the owner of a show, invites you to snatch sheep to win lots of nice prizes and enough roast lamb to last a lifetime. But as always it's not as simple as it sounds. The first mission see's you sneaking up (aka Mr Solid Snake) on Sam Sheep dog (who's ever present in every level to make life as hard as possible) while trying to snatch a sheep. The thing is, once you have your little wooly friend, how are you going to get him back over a rickety bridge that can only support one of you? Well thatís the magic of the game. Every problem on every level needs approaching in a different way. Whether it's laying trails of lettuces for the sheep to follow, or hiding in bushes to creep around in without catching the attention of Sam Sheepdog. There are so many different puzzles to solve which adds great playability to the game.
The controls are simple, but if youíre a bit stuck on how to do or use something, then Daffy Duck is there to give a helping hand. As well as Daffy Duck, many more Looney Toons characters are present and ready to help. These characters are key if you want any chance to progress. Also getting new 'toys' is key. When I say toys I mean a jetpack or a stick of dynamite. You have to order these from mailboxes and then go and fetch them from a drop off on the current level. You can mix the items together to make bigger toys but getting the right combination is crucial. If you complete levels and then re-enter them new hidden parts are unlocked which have timers in. If you activate these you win points that you can use to buy nice extras such as game art and hints telling you how to unlock bonus levels. Unlocking all these adds an extra challenge to the game.
The gameís a joy to look at. The graphics are very clear and sharp while leaving out any complex detail to give a real feel of playing a cartoon. There are some great animations in the game such as Ralph having his face flattened after running in to a rock and the ever funny 'walking in mid-air before plunging a great distance off the top of a cliff' joke. The humor in the game is immense. Every conversation will make you laugh while the activities you have to do always make you chuckle.
The game in all is really a mixture of several successful games. There is an element of stealth from 'MGS' and some of the puzzles are rather like something from 'Monkey Island' or 'Lemmings'. You could even say it has touches of 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' as you have to answer questions correctly to win new 'toys'.
Overall this is a great, original and very playable game. It doesn't really fail in any department and Iím sure everyone who has played it will be waiting in anticipation for a possible PS2 version.

Graphics: 9- Stunning cartoon style graphics.
Sound: 8 - Nice voices from all the LT crew.
Game play: 10 - The best ever?
Longetivity: 9.5 - Lot's of fun missions.

Is this game great?
EWE BET IT IS!

9.5/10

NATBUC
'Premiership gamer'

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.