GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This Is Football(is ace) review"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/10/01 at 17:26
Regular
I'm gonna do what Ant did..post reviews and this game seems pretty popular at the moment.

As the name suggests, THIS IS FOOTBALL. THIS IS the 2002 addition,not the poor psone version. The thing that hits you when you first load up the game is the huge likeness to a real match shown on T.V. The crowd chant songs for the teams that are playing, Peter Drury the commentator is spot on . I say spot on, and i mean spot on. Just like on T.V. he announces the players names in a realistic tempo as though he really is watching the match. I also mentioned the realistic songs the crowd chant. You can imagine playing for England while the crowd cheer you on with 'The Great Escape' while Peter Drury screams Gerrards name as he times a volly to perfection right passed the fingers of Barthez to the great cheer of the crowd. Believe me, this justs makes you want to get up and run around the room sccreaming GOAAAAALLLL!!!!! at the top of your voice.
It's not just the sound though that makes this game special. The visuals are excelent too. The players faces do (for once) actually look like the real players, so Scholes's actually looks likes scholes and not the honey monster. Its not just the faces that capture the characteristics of the players. Most of them actually walk and gesture like their real life counter parts. At the start of the match when Beckham shakes Desaillys hand it makes you want to check the T.V. channel via the remote to see if you have actually got it on your PS2 channel! (Well almost!) Its also nice to see players going down in pain after being smacked in the face by a powerblaster or being clipped round the ankles with a hard boot.
It's not just the players that look good, the crowd do too. They're the first crowd i've seen in a game that don't just put their hands up and down during the whole match. They actually react like a real crowd. Hands in head when the opposition scores. Fingers pointing when a harsh tackle happens.. it is so good. They also wear different things depending on the match. In premiership games you will find the crowd wearing their teams colours (as well as other garments like coats and tee-shirts) but in internationals you can see them wearing the flags of there team. This gives the game a real regional atmosphere. To cap this off the crowd throw ticker tape and light flares in internationals, serie A games ect. but don't in UK games because flares have been banned. Talk about attention to detail!
The stadiums are also a work of art. They range from massive stadia such as the stade d'france to little 'non-league team' style pitches. There are even a number of school play ground pitches to score past goalies between jumpers!
The most important part of every game is the gameplay. And, thank god, it doesn't fail here. The controls are like 'UEFA champions league' but the game has the same kind of play as 'ISS'so it plays some nice realistic football while still maintaining a nice array of tricks to add more enjoyment and skill to the game. These tricks include spins and flick overs and you can even do a deliberate dive with the tap of the R1 button. Most of the motion capture moves were done by Aston Villa (800 in all) but Rio Ferdinand also helped.
In terms of passing it is very nice!.The ball doesn't go straight to payers unless you aim it to them. This scraps the un-fun passing of the FIFA series but avoids being to complicated. A nice thing i noticed was the way the players position themselves like in real life. For example Gerrard seems to be there to blast in deflections while Owen tends to sprint to collect a through ball. Don't worry though you won't find it repetitive and see Owen scoring all your through balls.
This Is Football includes plenty of features. There are most of the european leagues, even Div 1 in uk. An FIFPro license means real names for players and teams and if your not happy with these you can even create your own team including kit editing.
Overall this will be a big hit among footy fans and gamers and it is a nice change from ISS.

Thanks for reading, Nat
Mon 01/10/01 at 17:26
Regular
"  "
I'm gonna do what Ant did..post reviews and this game seems pretty popular at the moment.

As the name suggests, THIS IS FOOTBALL. THIS IS the 2002 addition,not the poor psone version. The thing that hits you when you first load up the game is the huge likeness to a real match shown on T.V. The crowd chant songs for the teams that are playing, Peter Drury the commentator is spot on . I say spot on, and i mean spot on. Just like on T.V. he announces the players names in a realistic tempo as though he really is watching the match. I also mentioned the realistic songs the crowd chant. You can imagine playing for England while the crowd cheer you on with 'The Great Escape' while Peter Drury screams Gerrards name as he times a volly to perfection right passed the fingers of Barthez to the great cheer of the crowd. Believe me, this justs makes you want to get up and run around the room sccreaming GOAAAAALLLL!!!!! at the top of your voice.
It's not just the sound though that makes this game special. The visuals are excelent too. The players faces do (for once) actually look like the real players, so Scholes's actually looks likes scholes and not the honey monster. Its not just the faces that capture the characteristics of the players. Most of them actually walk and gesture like their real life counter parts. At the start of the match when Beckham shakes Desaillys hand it makes you want to check the T.V. channel via the remote to see if you have actually got it on your PS2 channel! (Well almost!) Its also nice to see players going down in pain after being smacked in the face by a powerblaster or being clipped round the ankles with a hard boot.
It's not just the players that look good, the crowd do too. They're the first crowd i've seen in a game that don't just put their hands up and down during the whole match. They actually react like a real crowd. Hands in head when the opposition scores. Fingers pointing when a harsh tackle happens.. it is so good. They also wear different things depending on the match. In premiership games you will find the crowd wearing their teams colours (as well as other garments like coats and tee-shirts) but in internationals you can see them wearing the flags of there team. This gives the game a real regional atmosphere. To cap this off the crowd throw ticker tape and light flares in internationals, serie A games ect. but don't in UK games because flares have been banned. Talk about attention to detail!
The stadiums are also a work of art. They range from massive stadia such as the stade d'france to little 'non-league team' style pitches. There are even a number of school play ground pitches to score past goalies between jumpers!
The most important part of every game is the gameplay. And, thank god, it doesn't fail here. The controls are like 'UEFA champions league' but the game has the same kind of play as 'ISS'so it plays some nice realistic football while still maintaining a nice array of tricks to add more enjoyment and skill to the game. These tricks include spins and flick overs and you can even do a deliberate dive with the tap of the R1 button. Most of the motion capture moves were done by Aston Villa (800 in all) but Rio Ferdinand also helped.
In terms of passing it is very nice!.The ball doesn't go straight to payers unless you aim it to them. This scraps the un-fun passing of the FIFA series but avoids being to complicated. A nice thing i noticed was the way the players position themselves like in real life. For example Gerrard seems to be there to blast in deflections while Owen tends to sprint to collect a through ball. Don't worry though you won't find it repetitive and see Owen scoring all your through balls.
This Is Football includes plenty of features. There are most of the european leagues, even Div 1 in uk. An FIFPro license means real names for players and teams and if your not happy with these you can even create your own team including kit editing.
Overall this will be a big hit among footy fans and gamers and it is a nice change from ISS.

Thanks for reading, Nat
Mon 01/10/01 at 18:14
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Good review. Im still not going to get it though. Champ Man is my next footie game.
Tue 02/10/01 at 18:01
Regular
"  "
Thanks...played the demo yet?
Tue 02/10/01 at 19:00
Regular
Nah, im going to wait for the game to be released.
Tue 02/10/01 at 20:58
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Ive played the demo.Nothing too special..I am still getting the game though
Tue 02/10/01 at 21:26
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
I didn't know you could be the Division 1 Teams! This means I get to be Rotherham United. Wahey!

Good review by the way!
Tue 02/10/01 at 21:57
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Ya , I want to be Man City.I cant be bothered to play it yet though
Tue 02/10/01 at 22:08
Regular
yeah, you have always been able to be div 1 teams, you can be practicly every proffesional team there is!

I want to be the mighty sheff wed, as usuall
Tue 02/10/01 at 22:23
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Yeah, you may actually win something with them :)
Tue 02/10/01 at 22:29
Regular
Thats really funny. My ribs are hurting.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.