GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"1 better sequel ever? That can't be it."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/10/01 at 09:02
Regular
I was thinking about this yesterday as I watched Terminator 2 - This is the only sequel better than its original.

I'm not saying that some sequels aren't good. Star Wars Episodes 5,6 and 1 were all good films, but none of them as good as A New Hope. And The Mummy Returns, I enjoyed this film immensely, but the Mummy was far better. A true example of how CGI doesn't make the movie. I don't know if you can include James Bond in this, because they are, in a way, follow-ups - not sequels. You can't really judge a series of films when the actors change. Mission Impossible 2 - An amazing film, so good I claimed it a while back, but simply not as good as the first, because it wasn't a M:i movie, it was action. Mission Impossible 1 had plot turns and twists aplently, that always kept you guessing. In the second one, it's all 'Well, look, he's acting strangely, obviously a mask'. And it was. 100% of the time. And just in case we couldn't get this, they played ominious music when it was about to happen.
The closest contender, I would say, to being another better sequel, is Rush Hour 2. Both it and its prequel are hilarious, and full of one-liners. But its not better. It could be classed as the same, but definitely not better. The biggest flop in a sequel? Well, it has to be Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World. What a disaster. Jurassic Park was a truly classic film, in the way Ben Hur is. But JP2 was everything a film shouldn't be - predictable, monotonous, and even boring at times. If you can count JP3 as a sequel to JP2, then we have another one, but I'll count JP3 as a sequel to JP1 for this post.

All the time, I hear of sequels in production. Shrek II, for example. Already in production. Shrek was very funny, original, and witty. But Shrek II will probably just play the same old gags again, and people will end up laughing, but feeling a little disapointed. The Matrix 2 and 3 - I wonder about them. They have the potential to be great movies, as goos as the original, as long as it doesn't involve Neo and Trinity running up walls and shooting a lot of people like the original.

And I guess that's the problem with sequels. They can only happen if the original was a success. And the makers of the sequel think 'Cha-Ching!' and try to cash in on all the successes of the first film, when what they really need to do is use the same brain-cells that came up with the idea for the first movie, and produce something equally as good, and equally as original.

T-2 was better because it came up with original stuff. What it could have done was make it seem if Kyle, from T-1, was not dead, and Arnie had been sent back as the baddy again, and Kyle had to defend Sarah, AGAIN. But no, Cameron gave us an original movie with good effects and great plot mixed in. That's why it was better.

There are some movies coming out soon that I think have the potential to spawn better sequels. And its ironic that both these movies have their scripts written for them before the original has even been released. I am, of course, talking about the two big movies based on books - Harry Potter and Fellowship of the Ring(when do I ever stop talking about LOTR, eh Tarrant?). Both these films have established and original sequels. I think this proves my point. the films cannot have sucessful sequels if the producers think of money. It's probably not going to happen, and the only good sequels will come from the movies based on books. And even this rule slips after a while. Silence of the Lambs - Amazing movie. Hannibal - Cashes in on the popularity of Hannibal Lecter. Not as amazing.

One word for potentials sequels - Originality. Try it, and you'll get a much better sequel.

Thanks, Stryke.
Thu 04/10/01 at 15:28
Regular
"I love Dave music"
I'd just like to add to this discussion by saying that there are two sequels coming out that are gonna suck. American Pie 2 and Scary Movie 2. I may be wrong here, but I think they are both 12's now, instead of the 15's that the originals were.

The whole thing that made the originals good was that they shocked people by how outrageous they were. Which goes back to what has been said before: Studios looking to cash in on success, these movies are simply a way of letting young kids see what all the fuss was about, when obviously everything that made the first ones good will have been taken out.
Thu 04/10/01 at 08:01
Regular
Lost World? I'd have to agree with Votty. Dear oh dear. And Hannibals still just a cash-in! Muaha!
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:37
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I think that Lethal Weapon is the best. I mean, it's got Gary Busey in, what more could you ask for? Then number 3, then 2 and then 4. They're all really good though so I have them all on DVD.

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Wed 03/10/01 at 18:34
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Oh dear. You like The Lost World more than the original Jurassic Park. That's the path to the dark side and you're past the point of return. There's no turning back now.

:)
Wed 03/10/01 at 10:01
The thing with sequels is that they can attract a new audience, epecialy when there is a large gap in between the original and it's sequel. There is also the possabilaty that people may persoanly enjoy a sequel than the original.

Of recent years I have prefered the following sequals to their origanals. Jarrasic Park The Lost World, Scream 2, Mission Impossable 2 and The Bride Of Chuckie and Lethal Wepon 2 and 3.
Wed 03/10/01 at 07:43
Regular
Ok..You keep on believing that if you think so gotan.
Wed 03/10/01 at 00:59
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
austin powers 2 was more widely known about than austin powers 1, but I still cannot decide if one is better than the other.
Wed 03/10/01 at 00:52
many appologies for the spelling i happen to be dyslexic im having my wife type this for me so i could get my message across. In my personal opinion terminater is a far superior movie, the suspense is always there and for the time of release the storyline was totally origanal also for the megre budget the sfx were superb. Critizie my opinion not my spelling if you dare.

P.S. who's every-one????????
Tue 02/10/01 at 20:48
Regular
You idiot. Learn to spell, actually watch the films, and then come back. T-2 is accepted by everyone as the better of the two.
Tue 02/10/01 at 14:24
you are having a GIRAFFE Termanater was and is a brillent move with a orignal fritning and shocking plot,tr2 is tird hollywood, mr arne musil bownd nice gay moron, cashin.

oooh the bad gays dead....no he,s not ooooh he is now.........no he,s not eta eta eta.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.