GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MS Flight Sim 2004"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight'.
Tue 05/08/03 at 08:38
Regular
Anybody got this new Century Of Flight one ? What does it play like ? Plenty of online reviews of it but none in the gaming press yet so I wondered what people's thoughts of it were ?

According to what I've read the new pilot's school makes it easier for newbies.
Sun 17/08/03 at 16:47
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Well I've come to this conclusion.

Don't be taken in by Microsoft's publicity and pretty screen shots. Running on my system, 2.6GHZ P4 HT, 512mb ram @400mhz, ATI Radeon 9800 128mb and SBLive Digital I cannot get the kind of graphics their adverts show and still make the game playable.

The training school option is indeed good, but fatally flawed, everytime you go wrong your instructor says "well I cann see you're not getting the hang of this, let's try again next time" and you're forced to abandon that lesson, hence you never make the mistakes to learn how play, and often what the instructor stops you for you will never know...frustrating.

Definitely a game that suffers from the online documentation only syndrome, you need the info as you play, so you either ALT-TAB all the time and reduce performance in game, or print it all off, not a good idea given the volume of information.

Scenery is also disappointing, the only way to really see it is the external view, and that makes proper control of the place difficult, plus the graphics engine only seems to draw what is in your line of sight, hence when you change your view direction in the cockpit their is a noticeable momeny whilst the engine draws the scenery properly. Annoying.

Sim fans will like it, but anyone curious having seen the Century Of Flight adverts and wonderful trailers would be best to steer clear at this price, thank god I got it for GAD !
Wed 13/08/03 at 02:00
I cant see the joy from flight simulators really, especially with them being so expensive.
Tue 12/08/03 at 19:19
Regular
So far so good, I'd say don't buy if you have no joystick - first tried it with keybaord and it's hopeless, so went out and bought a logitech wingman joystick.

Also be warned regarding system spec and the auto configure, it set my settings far lower than they could actually goand, true to Pr's comments, I did indeed spend a good hour tweaking for best performance/graphics. I'm running a P4HT 2.6GHZ with 512MB RAM and ATI RADEON 9800 128MB RAM and it seems I can do it at 1280x1024 32 bit colour with everything fully on. Hurrah !

The training (Flight School) is good for anyone with no clue how to play, and the money and attention MS have put into this shows, admittedly some parts of the tutorial are a little too obvious an attempt by the speakers to be 'cool' but it all gels together nicely. For anyone whose ever wanted to fly I'd recommend this.
Mon 11/08/03 at 11:47
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I had flight Sim 98. Rubbish.
Mon 11/08/03 at 11:30
Regular
cipro wrote:
> My brother got Flight Sim 2000, but we both found it a tad too boring.

My m8 had that game and it was pretty crap, u could just put it on auto pilot and that was it.
Mon 11/08/03 at 09:28
Regular
Well, it came this morning (thanks SR !) and I'm sitting here installing it. 4 Discs ! 2.8 GB for a full install (other options are available but with 120GB HD who cares) Nicely it has a manual with the basics on to get you started, as well as more complete documents on the disc and integrated into the program itself. Once it's done I have to install my joystick (and dust it off!), I'll post later as to what it's like.
Sun 10/08/03 at 16:35
Regular
"A man with a stick"
My brother got Flight Sim 2000, but we both found it a tad too boring. I must say though that century of flight does look pretty good, hopefully it plays alot better than FS2000 because if it does I may very well give it a try.
Sun 10/08/03 at 13:39
Regular
PC Gamer gave it 9/10, anyway I've got it on GAD now so when it arrives I'll post my thoughts on it.
Sun 10/08/03 at 13:15
Regular
I need to take a tranquilizer just thinking about Microsoft Flight Simulator 2005.
Sun 10/08/03 at 12:48
Regular
It looks pretty good....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.