GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pokémon - Is it growing up or am I?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/08/03 at 23:05
Regular
Yup, another year, guess what? Another Pokémon game. Ooh, but this time around - like they didn't last time... - Nintendo promise a whole new ball game, that's "...bigger, better, and more addictive than ever before." (Nintendo.Com)

Well, I played it a long, long time ago, and I can confirm, that it is bigger. On import, of course, via my cousin, who seemed to enjoy his little adventures with his invisible Pikachu riding along on his shoulder, and wasn't amazed. This isn't to say that it's not fun, it is, well, for a while at least.

Prejudices aside, Pokémon was never a bad game. It had a money spinning CCG that truly was pointless, a poor TV show, which lasted far too long and some hideous memorabilia. Oh well.

Let's go back to that bold statement. Well, it's bigger. Much bigger in fact, with better graphics and more little pocket monsters, to stuff into balls. Oh, and yes, it is still addictive. It has a new system, whereby you can feed your Pokémon a new type of steroi... I mean sweet, called a "Pokéblock", which magically makes your pokemon stronger or prettier or clever etc. You can find 'blocks, and, this is the fun and addictive part, make them, from berries. Which is where trees come in handy, as you can water and grow trees, to get berries. And there's a fun mini-game, whereby you have to press the right button at the right time, in accordance to a spinner, and the better you are at this, the better your berries are.

Well, like I said, it was fun for, 2, maybe 3 days. But after that, you get the same old-same old syndrome, carried over from Pokémons of the past. It stills has the old fighting system, apart from some minor adjustments, and the battles are still random, so you end up just gazing away, pressing the A button constantly, and the directonal buttons occasionally.

I used to love Pokémon, really, I had Red, Yellow and Silver, and could hardly put them down. I spent nearly a year completing them all without cheating, getting all those fiesty little 'mons. But now it's so... So tedious. Yes, it's fun to play for a while, whilst reminiscing about the time I, you or anyone spent playing the games elders, but after a while it's plane boring.

For some reason, that came as a shock to me. The Pokémon serries is now aiming itself higher, at older audiences, having introduced, albeit in a very, very soft way, breeding - as they call it, and other little twiches like genders and the such. But it fell down a long time ago, falling into a hole laid by it self, I think. Yet, somehow, it thinks it can climb out it's hole by digging a bigger, better and more addictive one. Whoops.

~~~~~

People may ask; "What was the point in writing that?". I might answer, angrily, that this is my 400th post, it's 00:00am, and I have just spent the entire day with my German speaking 1/2 pint 1/2 brothers and sisters, so am SLIGHTLY bored and intoxicated by yoghurt - don't ask.
Thu 21/08/03 at 22:07
Regular
"Loves Cookies"
I always play Pokemon when i'm in the car or on a train...i never get too old for it :P
Tue 05/08/03 at 23:08
Regular
The last pokemon game I played was "Pokemon Red" which I loved to bits.

So this new one will be all new to me :)
Tue 05/08/03 at 23:05
Regular
"Bicycle"
Yup, another year, guess what? Another Pokémon game. Ooh, but this time around - like they didn't last time... - Nintendo promise a whole new ball game, that's "...bigger, better, and more addictive than ever before." (Nintendo.Com)

Well, I played it a long, long time ago, and I can confirm, that it is bigger. On import, of course, via my cousin, who seemed to enjoy his little adventures with his invisible Pikachu riding along on his shoulder, and wasn't amazed. This isn't to say that it's not fun, it is, well, for a while at least.

Prejudices aside, Pokémon was never a bad game. It had a money spinning CCG that truly was pointless, a poor TV show, which lasted far too long and some hideous memorabilia. Oh well.

Let's go back to that bold statement. Well, it's bigger. Much bigger in fact, with better graphics and more little pocket monsters, to stuff into balls. Oh, and yes, it is still addictive. It has a new system, whereby you can feed your Pokémon a new type of steroi... I mean sweet, called a "Pokéblock", which magically makes your pokemon stronger or prettier or clever etc. You can find 'blocks, and, this is the fun and addictive part, make them, from berries. Which is where trees come in handy, as you can water and grow trees, to get berries. And there's a fun mini-game, whereby you have to press the right button at the right time, in accordance to a spinner, and the better you are at this, the better your berries are.

Well, like I said, it was fun for, 2, maybe 3 days. But after that, you get the same old-same old syndrome, carried over from Pokémons of the past. It stills has the old fighting system, apart from some minor adjustments, and the battles are still random, so you end up just gazing away, pressing the A button constantly, and the directonal buttons occasionally.

I used to love Pokémon, really, I had Red, Yellow and Silver, and could hardly put them down. I spent nearly a year completing them all without cheating, getting all those fiesty little 'mons. But now it's so... So tedious. Yes, it's fun to play for a while, whilst reminiscing about the time I, you or anyone spent playing the games elders, but after a while it's plane boring.

For some reason, that came as a shock to me. The Pokémon serries is now aiming itself higher, at older audiences, having introduced, albeit in a very, very soft way, breeding - as they call it, and other little twiches like genders and the such. But it fell down a long time ago, falling into a hole laid by it self, I think. Yet, somehow, it thinks it can climb out it's hole by digging a bigger, better and more addictive one. Whoops.

~~~~~

People may ask; "What was the point in writing that?". I might answer, angrily, that this is my 400th post, it's 00:00am, and I have just spent the entire day with my German speaking 1/2 pint 1/2 brothers and sisters, so am SLIGHTLY bored and intoxicated by yoghurt - don't ask.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.