GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Slipknot- the men behind the masks!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/09/01 at 17:47
Regular
They're at the forefront of the nu metal music. They're wacky, they're insane and can be really scary. But the question on everybodies mind is, who are those masked men??

Des Moines, Iowa, the place where the Slipknot was formed. Shawn Crahan (percussionist), originally started the band with his friend Anders Colsefni (drums/vocals). The two had been playing in bands together in high school.
Nobody knows how, but the guitarists Donnie Steele and Josh Brainard were roped in along with bassist Paul Gray.
It was all ready and the band began rehearsing.

They first performed at a charity gig. At this time there was an addition to the band, that was drummer Joey Jordison. They called themselves Meld.

Some changes were made to the band soon after. Steele, discovering Christianity, left and was replaced by Craig Jones. Another change was to the bands name. Meld was dropped and they were soon known as Slipknot. The name coming from one of their songs. Also at this time, Jones was finding guitar difficult and moved over to adding samples to the bands music. Mick Thomson soon filled the vacant spot.

The band were doing well, and at this time they were performing as themselves. Crahan was to soon change that! The band were rehearsing when Shaun came in wearing a clown mask. They decided it would be a good idea to have a new identity to go with the new name. So Slipknot wore masked when they performed. To accompany the masks, they each were given a number so their identities would never be found out. This gave their performances an extra layer of intensity to their already primeval stage shows.

In late 1995, the band were offered a production contract and went into the studio for three days to record their debut album. For promotional reasons, only 1000 copies of the album 'Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat'.
Around this time, the buzz around the band was growing. By 1997 Corey Taylor had been recruited as a second vocalist. However, Anders Colsefni thought that Taylor was taking over vocal duties and left the band, followed by Josh Brainard.

This didnt stop the ever-growing band. To make the sound better, there was the addition of DJ Sid Wilson, Chris Fehn (percussionist, and guitarist James Root.
This is when things really took off for the band. After the release of their debut album, the band landed a deal with Roadrunner. In 1998, the band released a second selftitled album and in 1999 emerged, doing a series of live shows at the Ozzfest tour.

Onstage, their antics became more vile and outrageouse. The crowd, twisted as they may be, were very thrilled by Corey Taylor vomiting into a bottle and then getting the crowd to drink it!!
'Slipknot' was reissued in the December with the track 'Purity' replaced by 'Me Inside'. A promotional tour of the UK in January 2000 saw thousands of fans turn up at record shops wearing masks and were dressed in the bands boiler suits.

Controversy and Chaos was one of the things that followed them around on their World Tour. At the Kerrang awards that year, they picked up 3 awards. One was even for the best band in the World 2000. At the awards, they set fire to their table and launched a food fight.

At the end of the year, they were forced to cancel some America tour dates due to one of the band members, to which nobody knows who, collapsing from exhaustion. Both 'Wait and Bleed' and 'Spit It Out', the two singles from the album had cracked into the Uk Top 30.

2001, a great year so far for the band. They released their 3rd album entitled 'Iowa'. This went straight to number one in many countries and the single 'Left Behind' is tipped to do extremely well on the release date.

The Evil is growing, and its only the beginning. But despite the controversy surrounding them, Slipknot aren't about to go away quietly.
Fri 23/04/10 at 12:05
You should use Internet Explorer 7 or 8. We do not currently support other browsers. A screen resolution over 800 x 600 is required.

We recommend that you optimize the browser by 'Deleting History on Exit' and choosing the option to 'Check for a new page on EVERY visit to the site'.

Setting days to keep in history to zero is also advisable.
Tue 02/10/01 at 20:27
Gnarly!!!
Mon 01/10/01 at 15:52
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah

What he said.

Tool are groundbreaking, evolutionary music.
Whilst I enjoy Slipknot now and then, stick them next to things like Deicide and there's little change in the past 11 years of thrash
Mon 01/10/01 at 15:28
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
How many variations of ì0/1î are on the new Slipknot album, let alone the first album? To the untrained ear some of the new material has been recycled from the debut album. Iím sure the riff for ìSurfacingî is on there, along with the structure of the same song, under a different guise. It's all be rehashed if you ask me, mixed poorly and played at a million miles a second. If your into that stuff, then I'd suggest something like Nile, Dillinger Escape Plan, Drowningman or anything from the Relapse label, more or less, bands that breath that genre, not this watered-down trash we're being force fed.

Each one of Toolís albums has shown evolution. Slipknot have yet to achieve that. Play both ëKnot albums back to back and try and ascertain an evolution. Play Toolís ëAenimaí and ëUndertowí back to back and tell me they havenít evolved.

Iím sorry, I bought the new Slipknot album from the Reading festival this year and was sorely disappointed. I also bought the new System Of A Down album on the same day, one of which is still glued to my CD player now, no prizes for guessing which one.

*rant over*
Mon 01/10/01 at 14:06
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
The second album for me is like the first. With the first one, I really liked a couple of the tracks, and then as I heard the intricacies of the other tracks i liked them more and more, and now I like the whole album.

The second album was a bit pants at first, with only tracks 2 and 5 going anywhere, but the rest is growing on me now, and i'm really getting into it.

Give it more of a listen before you judge.
Mon 01/10/01 at 14:04
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Goatboy wrote:
> Hey you, let's fight??

Them's fightin' words....

:D
Mon 01/10/01 at 13:22
Regular
Slipknot musically talented, PAH. Have you heard some of the grinding pap they've got on their second album, it's enough to give you a headache. Give me decent metal like Machine Head, Fear Factory, SOAD and Korns original album any day. Not these masked freaks.
Mon 01/10/01 at 13:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Slipknot more musically talented than Tool??

Those're fighting words.
Mon 01/10/01 at 12:36
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
misterhappy wrote:
> Just for the record.. Happy and MrHappy are two different people. MrHappy would
> like to avoid any confusion as he despises slipknot for the
> corporate-added-incentive-gimmick-mongers they so doubtlessly are.

If that's
> what boils your kettle Happy then that's fine, but for me the simple but
> delightful metal of Tool, the Deftones and early Korn will suffice.

Yeah, the masks and outfit are gimmicky, but the musicianship is far more talented than the likes of korn and tool.

Youre right about early korn though, the new album is just not innovative anymore.
Mon 01/10/01 at 00:39
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Meeeow

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.