GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Complicated and info-heavy?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/08/03 at 22:27
Regular
I was thinking while playing CM4 today (I do a lot of that it's slow as hell sometimes on my PC) and it dawned on me that I much preferred the old premier Manager and LMA Manager games to this. Why? Because they didn't need ages spent reading stats before picking teams and buying and selling, basically it wasn't so damned complicated.

I've had the same experience with the FF series. I just want to get stuvk into the game, not sit watching a film and reading half the time. I have DVD's and books for that. I just want a plain straigforward for the most part stpryline that can be absorbed quickly and easily as I go about defeating the bad guys. It was done on older consoles in RPG's with much less elaboration and basically with the same effect I feel.

So my topic for debate is:

Are some games getting too complicated and info-heavy to be just plain fun anymore?
Wed 06/08/03 at 22:27
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I was thinking while playing CM4 today (I do a lot of that it's slow as hell sometimes on my PC) and it dawned on me that I much preferred the old premier Manager and LMA Manager games to this. Why? Because they didn't need ages spent reading stats before picking teams and buying and selling, basically it wasn't so damned complicated.

I've had the same experience with the FF series. I just want to get stuvk into the game, not sit watching a film and reading half the time. I have DVD's and books for that. I just want a plain straigforward for the most part stpryline that can be absorbed quickly and easily as I go about defeating the bad guys. It was done on older consoles in RPG's with much less elaboration and basically with the same effect I feel.

So my topic for debate is:

Are some games getting too complicated and info-heavy to be just plain fun anymore?
Wed 06/08/03 at 22:42
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
Yup.
Thu 07/08/03 at 09:20
Regular
"8==="
Ones I have which have a good balance of complication and gameplay:

Phantom Crash
Morrowind
Ghost Recon
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (not that complicated but compared to Gauntlet it is)

Anything else that has a load of options to fiddle with if you want but doesn't make you have to use them.
Thu 07/08/03 at 10:28
Regular
No, I don't think so. Everyone's different, I personally liked and still like the FF series. The fact that you spend half the time reading is down to why I like it so much. If it just had the random battles every minute, I've got a feeling I would have taken it back within the first week.
Basically, if you don't like a game, take it back. It doesn't mean that others think like you.

Although, to a certain extent, I agree with you.
Thu 07/08/03 at 11:06
Regular
What? Nash is talking sensible?

What is the world coming to?
Thu 07/08/03 at 11:12
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
J Nash wrote:
The fact that you spend half the time
> reading is down to why I like it so much. If it just had the random
> battles every minute, I've got a feeling I would have taken it back
> within the first week.

Buy a book.
Thu 07/08/03 at 12:18
Regular
Unbeliever wrote:
> J Nash wrote:
> The fact that you spend half the time
> reading is down to why I like it so much. If it just had the random
> battles every minute, I've got a feeling I would have taken it back
> within the first week.
>
> Buy a book.

Yeah, but they didn't make a book of FF7, or indeed, any RPG, did they? And besides, it's different to reading a book. Very much so.
Thu 07/08/03 at 12:43
Regular
"The Red Shift"
the whole point of CM4 is that you have to do all that stuff, making it more realistic, different and more involving. im glad that that its like this,because thats what i like about it and it exercises peoples football knowledge and actually makes you think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.