GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NINTENDO'S CONFERENCE"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/08/03 at 10:52
Regular
We have got the results of the press conference held by Nintendo of Japan today, inside!
Earlier this week, Nintendo announced that it had sold 800,000 GameCube consoles worldwide in the latest quarter, which wasn't the best news as the goal was to sell 6 million units this year. Nintendo said, though, that it still expects to sell this many units and that the company would announce a new strategy to support this statement today at the press conference.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata made the following announcements at the news conference on the company's business strategy:

[] A GameCube version of Made in Wario (Wario Ware) will be released in Japan this October.

[] A new version of Donkey Kong is under joint-development with Namco, and will be released this year.

[] A brand new Zelda game will be released next year.

[] The company will be launching an 'air mile' system for Nintendo Products in Japan (already known as VIP 24:7 in Europe).

[] Last but not least, the company said it will announce a new Nintendo product spring next year.

So in short, next spring (E3 anyone?), Nintendo will be announcing that new product, which we think will be their new console. And we assume that those newly announced games will also be released in Europe. Of course we already have the Nintendo VIP systems in Europe, but in all we think these announcements could help Nintendo's competitive position.

We will bring you more as it breaks!

- Cube-europe
Fri 08/08/03 at 12:40
Regular
er-no wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> Nintendo like to take risks.
>
> No they don't.
>
> Nintendo may create the best games and platform, but in terms of
> business to the buyers. They suck.

They take risks with their franchises all the time. They never risk spending too much though.
Fri 08/08/03 at 12:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
Hedfix wrote:
> Nintendo like to take risks.

No they don't.

Nintendo may create the best games and platform, but in terms of business to the buyers. They suck.
Fri 08/08/03 at 11:10
Regular
"8==="
(see Zelda)
Fri 08/08/03 at 11:10
Regular
"8==="
Nintendo like to take risks.
Fri 08/08/03 at 10:48
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Dringo wrote:
> Almost like Rare developing Donkey Kong... oh wait.

---

Ummm. Rare had been a trusted Nintendo-owned 2nd-party developer when they were handed the rights to make the Donkey Kong games.

Namco are neither Nintendo-owned or 2nd-party, which is the point I'm trying to make. No doubt they are trustworthy, but Rare were moreso, and this is why they were previously chosen to develop the Donkey Kong series.
Fri 08/08/03 at 02:26
Regular
AfroJoe wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> [] A new version of Donkey Kong is under joint-development with
> Namco,
> and will be released this year.
>
> ---
>
> I have no problem with Namco, and I know it's good as Nintendo are
> proving they trust the companies closer to them by allowing them to
> develop some of their top franchises, but this is like allowing Konami
> to make Mario 128.

Almost like Rare developing Donkey Kong... oh wait.
Thu 07/08/03 at 21:56
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
> Bah!
>
> I've got to upload this to synae!
>
> Looks like somebody *coughDringocough* beat me to it...
>
> :P
>
> I'll remove it if you like.

Heh, don't worry about it.
Thu 07/08/03 at 21:55
Regular
Cooky wrote:
> Arrrr, then it must be Capcom that was asking Nintendo to let them
> develop one of their franchises!

Well I *think* they're developing a new handheld Zelda game, after the success of Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. Plus, there's Production Studio 4, which is a GameCube exclusive branch.
Thu 07/08/03 at 18:19
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Dringo wrote:
> [] A new version of Donkey Kong is under joint-development with Namco,
> and will be released this year.

---

I have no problem with Namco, and I know it's good as Nintendo are proving they trust the companies closer to them by allowing them to develop some of their top franchises, but this is like allowing Konami to make Mario 128.

Please make it work, Namco.
Thu 07/08/03 at 17:47
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I especially like this quote from Satoru Iwata:

"We plan to begin the new program in Japan and the United States by the end of this year"

Not learning from their mistakes, are they?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.