GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Winning...Is It All It's Cracked Up To Be??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/09/01 at 21:47
Regular
We all want to win. It's true. I guess it's some animal instinct inside us which says everytime you're doing something competitive, "You've got to win! C'mon, win, or the whole thing will be a waste of time!"

I've had some experience of winning. I was extremely happy to win the 100m in year 8 on sports day, beating my arch 'rival' by a couple of tenths. But winning yourself isn't what I'm here to talk about.

Most of us support a team of some kind. Whether it be a football team (probably the most common-almost everyone in the country supports a football team of some kind, even if it's just England,) a cricket team, rugby team or a motor racing team. There are others as well, but they are probably the most popular.

You can also support people who represent your country. Tennis players like Tim Henman (for us Brits,) and in Athletics you would usually cheer for the athlete from England/UK.

Now I'm not a betting person (although, then again, I'm 14, so who knows what I'll be like when I'm older. {:)) and many others don't bet on sports either. So we'll place betting to one side for a moment. If our favoured team or person wins something, whether it be the Premiership or the US Open, what do we get out of it?? Yes, we all cheer for a while, and perhaps you all go out for a drink and celebrate. But you know, it's the actual winners who get the most pleasure out of it.

I'll try and explain it different terms. I have been a Liverpool fan since I was...5, 6 years old. I have watched them win absolutely nothing (apart from the Coca-Cola Cup sometime between 95 and 97,) and then last year, finally, there was success. And lots of it. Liverpool won the Worthington Cup, FA Cup and the UEFA Cup. I was very happy for a few days, but then it began to wear off. And now, winning doesn't seem so...special. Yeah, I was happy to see them win the European Super Cup and the Charity Shield, but it wasn't as exciting as before. I get the feeling that if Liverpool win the Premier League once, then I won't be so interested the next year.

The same goes for Ferrari in Formula 1. I've supported them since 1995, and it was only in 2000 that they finally won the Driver's Championship. In previous seasons I had made sure I watched every qualifying session and every race. I mean, I always used to get up at about 2am if it was taking place in Australia, Japan or the USA. But this year...I've missed nearly all the qualifying sessions, and have only watched about 10 of the races. Why?? Because now Ferrari have won everything it's not to special...I hope next year will be better, especially with Williams becoming a much better team.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but it seems to me as though we hope and pray that our teams, persons, and even our favourite characters in TV Programmes will do well...but when they do, it all becomes just a bit more boring.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Sat 29/09/01 at 21:47
Regular
"I like cheese"
We all want to win. It's true. I guess it's some animal instinct inside us which says everytime you're doing something competitive, "You've got to win! C'mon, win, or the whole thing will be a waste of time!"

I've had some experience of winning. I was extremely happy to win the 100m in year 8 on sports day, beating my arch 'rival' by a couple of tenths. But winning yourself isn't what I'm here to talk about.

Most of us support a team of some kind. Whether it be a football team (probably the most common-almost everyone in the country supports a football team of some kind, even if it's just England,) a cricket team, rugby team or a motor racing team. There are others as well, but they are probably the most popular.

You can also support people who represent your country. Tennis players like Tim Henman (for us Brits,) and in Athletics you would usually cheer for the athlete from England/UK.

Now I'm not a betting person (although, then again, I'm 14, so who knows what I'll be like when I'm older. {:)) and many others don't bet on sports either. So we'll place betting to one side for a moment. If our favoured team or person wins something, whether it be the Premiership or the US Open, what do we get out of it?? Yes, we all cheer for a while, and perhaps you all go out for a drink and celebrate. But you know, it's the actual winners who get the most pleasure out of it.

I'll try and explain it different terms. I have been a Liverpool fan since I was...5, 6 years old. I have watched them win absolutely nothing (apart from the Coca-Cola Cup sometime between 95 and 97,) and then last year, finally, there was success. And lots of it. Liverpool won the Worthington Cup, FA Cup and the UEFA Cup. I was very happy for a few days, but then it began to wear off. And now, winning doesn't seem so...special. Yeah, I was happy to see them win the European Super Cup and the Charity Shield, but it wasn't as exciting as before. I get the feeling that if Liverpool win the Premier League once, then I won't be so interested the next year.

The same goes for Ferrari in Formula 1. I've supported them since 1995, and it was only in 2000 that they finally won the Driver's Championship. In previous seasons I had made sure I watched every qualifying session and every race. I mean, I always used to get up at about 2am if it was taking place in Australia, Japan or the USA. But this year...I've missed nearly all the qualifying sessions, and have only watched about 10 of the races. Why?? Because now Ferrari have won everything it's not to special...I hope next year will be better, especially with Williams becoming a much better team.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but it seems to me as though we hope and pray that our teams, persons, and even our favourite characters in TV Programmes will do well...but when they do, it all becomes just a bit more boring.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Sat 29/09/01 at 22:37
Regular
well, supporting man utd myself...winning the premiership these days is pritty normal really, and i dont really get a buzz from Utd winning it these days. I was over the moon, when we won it back in 1993 for the first time in ages though, that was specail.

Also, Winning the Europeon cup in 1999 was pritty special. I had never been so happy in my life. Maybe thats why, winning the premiership seems boring now. It seems like an inferior competition.

BUt i understand what you are getting at. Why the hell do i get pleasure from someone else achieving stuff? I cant really explain it. I cant even remember how i got to support Man utd. Just supported them since as long as i can remember.

I had a bet during Euro 2000 for Czech republic to win it. It was pritty good odds becasue they were in the same group as holland and France. And they should have beat them both, just unlucky. Anyway, the bet made the game much more exciting, becasue thier achievments would also give me a gain financially!

I have never bet on Man utd though, maybe i'll try that soon. See how i feel about th games then.
Sun 30/09/01 at 10:31
Regular
"I like cheese"
I have to say, the only time I've ever made a bet was when I betted on Spain to do better than Holland in Euro 2000.

Watching all of Spain's matches were much more exciting, especially the amazing game against Yugoslavia.
Sun 30/09/01 at 10:43
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
Ant wrote:
> I have to say, the only time I've ever made a bet was when I betted on Spain to
> do better than Holland in Euro 2000.

Watching all of Spain's matches were
> much more exciting, especially the amazing game against Yugoslavia.

Ahh, Spain vs Yugoslavia one of the best matches ever. I can still remember the commentator (Motty I think) screaming "ALFFFONNSSOOOO" just as he scored Spains fourth, superb :D
Sun 30/09/01 at 22:48
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I've been supporting Liverpool for about 10 years and I still get the buzz now when they win, even league games, then I did when I started supporting them.

It may sound harsh but if it doesn't interest you, your heart may not be in.
Sun 30/09/01 at 23:00
Regular
i still get the buzz for man utd winning games, but i dont get the expected extra buzz when they win domestic trophies.
Mon 01/10/01 at 15:32
Regular
"I like cheese"
OrÜega wrote:
> i still get the buzz for man utd winning games, but i dont get the expected
> extra buzz when they win domestic trophies.

Yep, that's basically what I was trying to say.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.