GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The job of a film director"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/09/01 at 22:00
Regular
How difficult do you think this job would be?
What skills are needed to be one? Read on to agree or possibly disagree with the solid points I make about the film directing industry.

Many times I have thought to myself, 'What skills do directors need?' I sometimes lay in bed at night and stare at the sealing wondering about this question. What skill is it that directors have? Is it drama, film production or even cinematics? As the film industry rapidly grows, so will the skills used as more and more money is put into making movies, making even more satisfying films to watch at the cinema.

Film directors have the most difficult but also satisfying job that I know of. They are given buckets of money and a cool story line, and are then sent out into the wilderness to use their creative imagination. It must be great to be able to watch the finished movie that you have made, and hear people talking about it on the streets and at work.

To be a director I would expect the skills needed would be:
- A good communication with people
- Creative imagination
- Positive attitude
- And being able to produce a wide range of ideas for the simplest of things.

These are skills that you can teach yourself. Ridley Scott started as a director for a BBC TV show and then moved to Hollywood in search for a challenge, he had a positive attitude against himself and was able to battle his way through other talented directors and get noticed with his big hits: e.g. Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise and obviously his biggest hit yet Gladiator.

As directors get more and more popular they start working with the big boys, the likes of Keanu Reeves and Tom Cruise are always part of a film directed by a well-known director.
I think that communication with other people is essential because it is highly important for a director can be able to speak in confidence to his cast and crew. I also think that having a creative imagination is essential because a director need to use a wide range of ideas to make simple scenes look amazingly creative, Steven Spielberg is a fine example of a director with a wide and creative imagination. AI his latest film hit shows just how crazy but creative one imagination can get, the clips and transformed into the real thing when Spielberg changes them from paper to the movies. I have also been impressed with Ridley Scottís creativity, he was able to make a movie into a real life time machine transporting you back to the Roman period, he made every detail exact and showed how amazing computer graphics can get when the gladiator Collosium was revealed.

As the present day directors retire and have fulfilled their lifeís accomplishment, new talented people will follow in their footsteps and come on to create the most amazing and creative movies that the world has never seen.
Not only will the directors change but also the cinematic history will change, new amazing things will be entered into the record books and people around the world will continue to become astonished in the world of movie directing.
Mon 01/10/01 at 19:24
Regular
Gah. Trekkies everywhere I look...
Mon 01/10/01 at 19:20
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Oh, I never knew that either. First Contact was really good as well. I'm not exactly the biggest Star Trek fan in the world but I enjoyed First Contact.
Sun 30/09/01 at 22:36
Regular
John.J wrote:
> First Contact.

Wow, I never knew that.
Sun 30/09/01 at 17:19
Regular
First Contact.
Sun 30/09/01 at 15:48
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Directed what film?
Sun 30/09/01 at 15:11
Regular
Do you know that the person who plays Will Riker on Star Trek first Contact Directed the film?
Sat 29/09/01 at 18:48
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
have you seen Mall Rats??? it's sooo much better than Dogma, which was itself orgasmic.

Watch Mall Rats, Jason Lee is a comic legend!
Sat 29/09/01 at 18:32
Regular
Heat was good, but for sheer comedy nothing beats DOGMA, in fact DOGMA takes the mick out of a variety of things in a way only DOGMA can. DOGMA rules, and I can't say as much about it on here. Go to J and SB Strike Back topic to see my obsession.... heh.
Sat 29/09/01 at 18:22
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Which director would be your hero and inspiration? Personally I'd go with Tim Burton, in fact all my movies would be gothic fairytales in the Edward Scissorhands vein.
Sat 29/09/01 at 18:16
Regular
The_Vottanator wrote:
> But the rewards (and the money) would be more than worth it.

and also the accomplishment and satisfaction of seeing your very own creation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.