GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"i find it sad that..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/08/03 at 17:43
Regular
there aren't any RTS's i've tried that really push my FX5600 to it's full. if generals is the most demanding RTS i've got, then it's quite depressing.

does anyone know any RTS's that are like rise of nations / generals that are relatively new and decent?

it's even a bigger shame that i miss the customizable abilities of tribal rage, which is horrificly riddled with bugs, but was the best game concept i've ever seen, and should be resurrected in another game.

sigh.
Wed 20/08/03 at 09:53
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
If his card was pushed to the max it'd suggest that the card wsa nearing the end of it's life, as RTS's don't usually push a machine like FPS's, hence if his card is NOT pushed by today's RTS games it means it has a fair bit of life in it for the future. Today's newest cards are designed to use Direct X 9, but at the moment a majority of games are still being based on Dirext X7 apart from big titles like Half Life 2, and even that will be compatible with older hardware.
Tue 19/08/03 at 22:57
Regular
Memorandum wrote:
> You're disappointed that your graphics card isn't being pushed to the
> max a few months after you've got it?
>
> Erm...I'd be quite pleased about that...

But having your graphics card pushed to the max would give you the graphics which you payed for?!?
Sat 16/08/03 at 20:42
Regular
i suppose. it's a big improvement over my Gf 2 MX.

HurraH!
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:39
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
You're disappointed that your graphics card isn't being pushed to the max a few months after you've got it?

Erm...I'd be quite pleased about that...
Fri 15/08/03 at 21:31
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Your loss, and the Total War series has always been adept at bringing tough, and extremely complex military combat to the screen.

I generally find using old medieval type troops and weaponry is allot more challenging and strategic than just building a nuke and wiping out the enemy in one go. I prefer the epic 10,000 troop on troop battles where quick thinking and sound tactics win the day, not just the weapons the soldiers have in their hands.

And I challenge you to find another RTS which lets you catapult diseased pigs into enemy fortifications and infect everyone inside, or use giant elephant units to crush puny human skulls, or fend off attackers by throwing boiling oil on their heads when they try and assault your castles ect..

Needless to say this is one strategy game I'll not be missing out on, and dare I say an RTS game that all RTS fans shouldn't miss out on either. Unless it turns out pap, in which case just ignore all that what I've just said ;)
Fri 15/08/03 at 20:47
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> Icarus wrote:
> Can you elaborate on these abilities please?
>
> well, you could modify the units, say like a unit designer.
>
> you can put different turrets on vehicles and turret stands, like MG
> turrets and minigun turrets, and each turret has its own cost and
> weight. the range of these weapons/turrets included grenade
> launchers, missile launchers, flamethrowers, and even toxic gas.

A la C and C Generals.
the
> chassis also ranged from pickups to tanks, and to these you could
> attach different types of armor and equipment, such as radiation
> specific armor, or even a supercharger to make accelaration faster.
> to your foot units you could only attach equipment, but these were
> things like build kits to make walls with, or crazy stuff like
> incendiary grenades and bombs. whatever unit you design you could use
> in the game, but in the campaign mode (which is a lot like conquer
> the world camp[aign in RON) you had to buy technology to make it
> available to use.

UFO Enemey Unknown is the closest I could come up with - equipping your units with different armour varied their speeds and the like.
>
> apart from this, you got 6 different tribes, ranging from bazooka
> wielding grannies and shotgun-toting bubbas belonging to the trailer
> trash, or hooded beings with equipment like angle grinders and
> rocket-salvo launchers, and even blokes on bikes, obviously part of
> the biker tribe.

All RTS games are sort of like this. They have at least 2 differnet tribes.
>
> that good enough for you?
Yes.
Fri 15/08/03 at 20:42
Regular
cipro wrote:
> Wait for Rome: Total War

i'm kinda tired of the ancient civilisation stuff. rise of nations was only appealing to me because of it's complex modern warfare, e.g machine gun troops, nuke silos, bombers, etc. etc.
Fri 15/08/03 at 20:40
Regular
the thing is, i tried tribal rage recently, and it crashes to the desktop frequently (with after-shocks), and is restricted to 640x480 by game design.
Fri 15/08/03 at 20:39
Regular
Icarus wrote:
> Can you elaborate on these abilities please?

well, you could modify the units, say like a unit designer.

you can put different turrets on vehicles and turret stands, like MG turrets and minigun turrets, and each turret has its own cost and weight. the range of these weapons/turrets included grenade launchers, missile launchers, flamethrowers, and even toxic gas. the chassis also ranged from pickups to tanks, and to these you could attach different types of armor and equipment, such as radiation specific armor, or even a supercharger to make accelaration faster. to your foot units you could only attach equipment, but these were things like build kits to make walls with, or crazy stuff like incendiary grenades and bombs. whatever unit you design you could use in the game, but in the campaign mode (which is a lot like conquer the world camp[aign in RON) you had to buy technology to make it available to use.

apart from this, you got 6 different tribes, ranging from bazooka wielding grannies and shotgun-toting bubbas belonging to the trailer trash, or hooded beings with equipment like angle grinders and rocket-salvo launchers, and even blokes on bikes, obviously part of the biker tribe.

that good enough for you?
Fri 15/08/03 at 20:07
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Wait for Rome: Total War, that'll surely push anyone's 3D card to the max. Chack out these screenshots:

http://www.totalwar.com/community/rp6.htm

http://www.totalwar.com/community/rp2.htm

http://www.totalwar.com/community/rp11.htm

http://www.totalwar.com/community/rp14.htm

http://www.totalwar.com/community/rp15.htm

As far as the game goes, Total War games have always delivered in good, challenging, strategic game-play and this one looks to be the best of the lot. Great looking as well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.