GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Throttling 10pm to 8am ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/03/07 at 00:42
Regular
Hi,

From mornings to evenings, the 8Mb connection screams, and I rarely get online-tests (adslguide/BT/etc..) that drop below 5000 Kbps, and every download reflects this from torrent-based downloads like Linux/Openoffice/Autopatcher, to http downloads. All of them absolutely scream along.
Now, from say 11pm onwards, every single download is capped to less than 180k. Every single online test is now giving me 1340-1375 Kbps, and it's the same from now to 3am, or as long as I can stay up.

Comeon Freeola, it's bad enough having a PC online, in the daytime when I don't need it most, having full speed, but only 1Gb limits. But when I really need it, 10pm onwards, it's slow, infact slower than my old 1Mb connection.

Why are you throttling my broadband ?
It's been like this for a few weeks now, and it's really annoying.
Now please don't fob me off with contention, or exchange problems, or whatever, because I won't believe that.
Earlier on in the day, I downloaded the latest Openoffice, on bittorrent via utorrent, and the 100Mb file took just 4 mins 27 seconds. Now, as I type this, it's going to take 45 mins+, at a time when it should fly down. This is on a very healthy legal torrent, where people actually share properly, so theres no excuses there.

Look forward to your answer,
thanks,
Steve.
Fri 16/03/07 at 00:42
Regular
Hi,

From mornings to evenings, the 8Mb connection screams, and I rarely get online-tests (adslguide/BT/etc..) that drop below 5000 Kbps, and every download reflects this from torrent-based downloads like Linux/Openoffice/Autopatcher, to http downloads. All of them absolutely scream along.
Now, from say 11pm onwards, every single download is capped to less than 180k. Every single online test is now giving me 1340-1375 Kbps, and it's the same from now to 3am, or as long as I can stay up.

Comeon Freeola, it's bad enough having a PC online, in the daytime when I don't need it most, having full speed, but only 1Gb limits. But when I really need it, 10pm onwards, it's slow, infact slower than my old 1Mb connection.

Why are you throttling my broadband ?
It's been like this for a few weeks now, and it's really annoying.
Now please don't fob me off with contention, or exchange problems, or whatever, because I won't believe that.
Earlier on in the day, I downloaded the latest Openoffice, on bittorrent via utorrent, and the 100Mb file took just 4 mins 27 seconds. Now, as I type this, it's going to take 45 mins+, at a time when it should fly down. This is on a very healthy legal torrent, where people actually share properly, so theres no excuses there.

Look forward to your answer,
thanks,
Steve.
Fri 16/03/07 at 12:19
Regular
Still no answer then ?
I see my broadband is back to it's normal speeds, the speeds I'm paying you for.

Link to Pic1

Link to Pic2

Link to Pic3

Link to Pic4

So, whats the answer then ?
I would like a reply please, Freeola, or expect a phone next week as I cancel my broadband, and move to a ISP that actually gives a damn.
Fri 16/03/07 at 12:43
"Are you sure?"
While you're waiting for an 'official' response, I thought I would see if I can help.

I think you'll find no adsl service will run at full speed all the time unless you pay for your own line.

The Freeola T&C's say this for their Broadband Service:

"3.3. We and Our Broadband Supplier reserve the right to enforce data traffic management techniques at any time
in order to maintain a high quality service for all Users of The Broadband Service."

I believe an "Anti-loss tool" was introduced a couple of months back. The idea of this is to reduce the overall impact on service for all users when off-peak starts and the service suffers due to the additinal activity.

I've read that more capacity is scheduled to come available in the coming months.

Hope that helps...
Fri 16/03/07 at 14:11
Regular
Hmmm... wrote:
> While you're waiting for an 'official' response, I thought I
> would see if I can help.
>
> I think you'll find no adsl service will run at full speed all
> the time unless you pay for your own line.
>
> The Freeola T&C's say this for their Broadband Service:
>
> "3.3. We and Our Broadband Supplier reserve the right to
> enforce data traffic management techniques at any time
> in order to maintain a high quality service for all Users of The
> Broadband Service."
>
> I believe an "Anti-loss tool" was introduced a couple
> of months back. The idea of this is to reduce the overall impact
> on service for all users when off-peak starts and the service
> suffers due to the additinal activity.
>
> I've read that more capacity is scheduled to come available in
> the coming months.

Hi, cheers for the reply.
I had full speed, off-peak broadband, when I first signed up late last year, and things were pretty good. But now, it's just unbearable, making a 8Mb connection act like my old 1Mb connection.

And what really annoys me is that, whats the point of having 8Mb broadband if you can only use it's full potential during 'peak' times when you have a set 1Gb limit ?
Surely, the whole point of off-peak, is to encourage users to download when it's a lot quieter ?
I'm no better off now, than when I had a true 1Mb connection with my old ISP, and for £25 pm, it's a total rip off.

> Hope that helps...

Yeah, cheers mate. None of the moaning above it aimed at you though, or any users here, btw. ;-)
Fri 16/03/07 at 14:33
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Hi DKT7,

If you require an urgent response to a question about your broadband connection then I would suggest contacting our Support Team, either by phone or via the online contact system. We do try to help out on these forums when we notice questions, but we do not continuously monitor the forums (they are predominently designed for discussion amongst users, not as a means of contacting a Freeola representative). Please rest assured that we were not ignoring your comments.

Our technical partners (who supply our bandwidth) do have a form of throttling in place which should occur only at times of severe overload on the bandwidth that would lead to data packet loss. This anti-loss tool lowers the maximum speed across users on the pipe until it reaches a stable level, and returns to normal as the load becomes more managable. It does not target individual users' connections. Also, this tool will not throttle any connections to below 2Mb.

There is clearly a spike in usage as off-peak periods kick in, which currently can trigger use of the anti-loss tool. However, our technical partners are investing millions into improved infrastructure and bringing extra bandwidth online as quickly as possible. The next increase in bandwidth for the network should be live later this month, with further expansions planned throughout the year to further improve performance.
Fri 16/03/07 at 16:03
Regular
loki wrote:
>
> Our technical partners (who supply our bandwidth) do have a form
> of throttling in place which should occur only at times of severe
> overload on the bandwidth that would lead to data packet loss.
> This anti-loss tool lowers the maximum speed across users on the
> pipe until it reaches a stable level, and returns to normal as
> the load becomes more managable. It does not target individual
> users' connections. Also, this tool will not throttle any
> connections to below 2Mb.

Hi loki,
I can assure you that my broadband is throttled to less than 2Mb. Did you even click the links I provided in my post ?
They clearly show that my connection is throttled way below my normal speeds.
Even though I download the odd American TV shows like Lost, Heroes, etc.. the legal torrents like Linux,Open Office,Autopatcher, etc.. will download flat out, before 10pm, yet after 10pm the most I can get is less than 150k. And to me, thats a bit unfair considering I could get a 2Mb line for £20, and be able to get 2Mb speeds all of the time.

> There is clearly a spike in usage as off-peak periods kick in,
> which currently can trigger use of the anti-loss tool. However,
> our technical partners are investing millions into improved
> infrastructure and bringing extra bandwidth online as quickly as
> possible. The next increase in bandwidth for the network should
> be live later this month, with further expansions planned
> throughout the year to further improve performance.

Yes, I appreciate that. But all this increase in bandwidth, with your network upgrade, is totally useless to me if you still throttle my connection to 2Mb.

I'm really not happy at the moment, as I feel that I'm being penalized in the day with the 1Gb limits, and now penalized at night with the throttling. I can cope with the daytime limits, as thats what I signed up for, but I didn't sign up to be throttled so bad.

Thanks for the reply.
Fri 16/03/07 at 17:34
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
As far as I am aware, the anti-loss tool has not been throttling below 2Mb speeds. Also connections are not throttled right down to 2Mb as a matter of course, they should be stepped down gradually with 2Mb as the absolute minimum. And then, as capacity returns the limits should be raised up gradually back to full speed.

If speeds are falling below that level then it could be down to contention on your BT exchange or, in extremely heavy periods, when one of our bandwidth 'pipes' are completely overloaded. If this is the case you could try restarting your router which should use load-balancing to connect you to a pipe with more capacity.

Further capacity will be added to the network at regular intervals over the course of the year and this should alleviate any similar problems in future.
Fri 16/03/07 at 17:38
"Are you sure?"
FWIW
In a couple of days I believe the "Anti-loss" tool will go down to 1mb while BT work on a central pipe problem.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.