GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shenmue 3 (again)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Shenmue 2'.
Fri 15/08/03 at 19:32
Regular
I've just been on the ShenmueDojo site and it looks like Shenmue 3 will be released at some point. Aparently the news is (this is new to me anyway) that Yu Suzuki has left AM2, who were involved in the previous Shenmue games. He has now started setting up his own development company called 'Cinematic Online Games'. It's a possibilty that Shenmue 3 may be the first title to launch this new company, or there is still the chance that SEGA itself will continue the story.

The story has been completed so the game could easily be released now, if enough demand is made for it. The main gripe Yu Suzuki is having ,is the fact that Shenmue 2 didn't sell particularly well on the X-Box, but what he needs to realise is that us Shenmue fans had already completed the game on the Dreamcast well before the X-Box release, so there realy was no point in buying it to be honest.

What I think may be going on though, is maybe they are just leaving us fans so desperate to play it, they are building the hype up to maximise the sales. Either way I want it released and I think many more people do as well, at least 22,000 anyway, according to the petition at petition-online.

But I guess we can only wait and see what happens.
Mon 18/08/03 at 22:30
Regular
Heh.

Was going to counter-argue Seymour Guado's posts, but look like Tiltawhirl's already done an excellent job.
Mon 18/08/03 at 20:06
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I loved Shenmue when I first played it on Dreamcast, but I fear if I
> go back now I'll realise that it wasn't actually 'that' good.

Well just recently, on the light of the Shenmue 3 rumours I have set-up my Dreamcast again and deleted all of the Shenmue saves from my VMU and started again just to refresh my memory. And Shenmue 1 is still as good as I remembered it.

I agree that Shenmue 2 wasn't as good, I just felt that the area was too big and there wasn't the same sort of 'warm' feeling to it as Ryo was in a strange place and didn't know anyone. Whereas in Shenmue 1 it was a lot easier to remember the streets and characters as they all already knew Ryo and the 'community' was much closer together. In my opinion Shenmue just felt a lot better to play than Shenmue 2, but I really want to find out how the story ends, even if Shenmue 3 is sort of average, it'll still complete the story.
Mon 18/08/03 at 16:48
Regular
Seymour Guado wrote:
gamecube could
> handle it but will need about 7 discs to hold the bu*&er

No it wouldn't, at most it would need 2 disks.

> Itll sell on ps2 fairly well,

I doubt it, it hasn't got much violence and there's no real gore.

> and not so good on Gc,

That's rubbish, it's the exact kind of game most Ninty's go for. Original and innovative.

even tho SEGA have produced or are
> producing some quality games for it, the Ninty fanboys dont like
> games that aregood when they made by other decent companies,

That's rubbish. Monkey Ball, Sonic Adventure DX have all been massive hits. The same goes for a lot of exclusive releases from 3rd part companies, Resident Evil for example.

HALO is
> proof of this, dont believe me ask any budding Ninty.

Ever thought for one minute that they may just not like it?

Whatever
> happens Shenmue is one the best series ever made.

I used to think that until I got my hands on Shenmue 2, really terrible game. It's just so limited, the thing that really annoys me is the conversations. It's so fooking limited, you have no real choice in what Ryo says, so you're stuck asking the same sodding question all the time until you move onto the next section.

I loved Shenmue when I first played it on Dreamcast, but I fear if I go back now I'll realise that it wasn't actually 'that' good.
Mon 18/08/03 at 14:27
Regular
"" I like your Gun""
Is Shenmue 2 on the xbox in japanese like the dc one? I loved Shenmue 1 more so then 2. 2 was what most ppl liked cause of all the fights and minigames that wernt really used enough in shenmue 1 got put in 2, infact, both 1 and 2 where gonna be put into ONE game for the saturn but got canned, so in a way the games are both equally good. 1 is much more of a experince as it very epic with its sounds and visuals ( which helps when its in english) 2 is more fun to play as their are more things to do but at the end of the day Shenmue was made in a particuler way and i person;y think number 1s style suits the game perfectly. I reckon 3 will be a mixture of the first 2 but contain magic and stuff in it, judging on the ending to shenmue 2... I reckon the xbox version will do the game justice, gamecube could handle it but will need about 7 discs to hold the bu*&er :( PS2 memoryll be ok but visuals will be sacrificed but will ruin experince somewhat, still i have only a gc and ps2 so i would still like it to be multi-format. Itll sell on ps2 fairly well, slightly better on xbox i feel and not so good on Gc, even tho SEGA have produced or are producing some quality games for it, the Ninty fanboys dont like games that aregood when they made by other decent companies, HALO is proof of this, dont believe me ask any budding Ninty. Whatever happens Shenmue is one the best series ever made.
Sat 16/08/03 at 23:40
Regular
I also hated Shenmue II. Luckily, I have a foolish friend who shall pay me £25 for it.
Sat 16/08/03 at 22:45
Regular
If Shenmue 3 is anywhere near as annoying and boring as 2, then they can keep their shoddy sequel.

Just about to put my copy of 2 on Ebay, I loved the first game but I can't help feel that if I went back to it now, I'd really hate it. Well, I won't tarnish my memory's and I'll sell Shenmue 2 because it's taking up shelf space.
Sat 16/08/03 at 21:03
Regular
I suppose.

Hey - Ya never know. Shenmue might be Phantom-Exclusive

:cD
Sat 16/08/03 at 20:57
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Wheres the proof of this Mav?
>
> "It's likely shenmue 3 won't be on the Xbox"
>
> Well I don't see Shenmue 2 on any other system right now (Except the
> DC)

NGC wrote a brief article on it. There's no proof, as it's just informed speculation. That's why I included the word "likely".
Sat 16/08/03 at 20:37
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Well it does make sense to make Shen 3 a multi-format release. It opens it up to a much bigger market, and I think Yu Suzuki needs to make as much cash from this title as possible.

I don't mind a multi-format release, but as I've said before, if Sony snatch an exclusivity deal with SEGA on this one, then it'll be pretty bad, because the PS2 just wont be able to get the most from the game.
Sat 16/08/03 at 20:29
Regular
Wheres the proof of this Mav?

"It's likely shenmue 3 won't be on the Xbox"

Well I don't see Shenmue 2 on any other system right now (Except the DC)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.